Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djhspawn

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2006
I have a buddy who tossed his macbook on his bed and it slid right off and damaged the LCD screen. I decided to take the challenge and just buy another LCD panel and repair it myself.

I purchased another LCD panel and using the guides over at ifixit.com I installed it. I booted up the macbook to find that there was no back lighting but I could seen the screen displaying an image.

After doing some searching I found the the inverter was the most likely problem and promptly ordered another. Today I installed the new inverter to find the same problem. No back lighting.....

I have double checked both the inverter cable connection and the optical connection. Would anyone have any other ideas at this point? Any help is appreciated.

steevzie

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
me too

exact same situation happened with me. replaced screen, the old one was broken but still had signs of lumination, but the new one has no backlight, then i replaced the inverter board, still no results. Im starting to get discouraged. If it is the backlight how do i even go about replacing that, or do i need yet another screen?

eman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
In the great white north
exact same situation happened with me. replaced screen, the old one was broken but still had signs of lumination, but the new one has no backlight, then i replaced the inverter board, still no results. Im starting to get discouraged. If it is the backlight how do i even go about replacing that, or do i need yet another screen?

If the backlight is toast, you'll need another LCD screen. You could swap back in your old screen and test the illumination and power from the logic board. When the macbook is running, shine a bright flash light at the screen and see if you can faintly see the desktop. This will verify your macbook is booting and is not some other problem.

steevzie

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
i actually tried that last night, replaced the old screen, which was cracked, but yet was still illuminated, but after i hooked it up the screen went on but now that backlight didnt even go on. I even tried it with both inveterters. But like you said, i CAN see everything with a flashlight and everything works perfectly. I usually just share my macbook screen on my imac if i need to do something on it because it really is a pain to try and work off an unlit screen. So maybe i shorted both my inverter boards, is that possible? Im wondering if thats maybe it, because my new (used but tested) inverter was from ebay and came loosely packed in a barely padded manilla envelope with nothing else protecting it. So im thinking this lack of protection could have meant it may have encountered some static in the mail and is worthless now. What do you think?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.