Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jagatnibas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
I need to play a youtube link video in my application. When I am able to play other streaming videos, I am unable to play youtube video. I was wondering why

regards

drivefast

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
how do you actually try to play the movie? what kind of object do you try to use?

keehun

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2008
Youtube videos are alone in nature, just a flash movie (SWF) and I'm pretty sure that you don't have a way of playing SWFs on the iPhone. That's what Adobe's trying to get Apple to let them do for a while now =]

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Youtube videos are alone in nature, just a flash movie (SWF) and I'm pretty sure that you don't have a way of playing SWFs on the iPhone. That's what Adobe's trying to get Apple to let them do for a while now =]
Some YouTube content is encoded in H.264 and thus can be played on the iPhone. That's the whole basis behind the YouTube app that is native to the iPhone / iPod touch.

As to the OP's question, I thought there was a way to link to other apps but I can't seem to find that right now.

liptonlover

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
I've seen quite a few apps that play actual youtube videos... at least while they're loading it says youtube video in the background. I don't know how you do it, but there is a way. Your problem may just be that you're trying to load flash videos, not the mp4 ones.

keehun

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2008
Though if you really wanted to try, there are ways to extract the video urls and you could play those since they are encoded in a compatible format.

drivefast

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
yeah, that's why i asked the OP what is he trying to use. he could use one of these online extractor services that take the youtube URL and let you download an mp4, then the media player control; he could use a webview control embedded in an application, that takes the movie url directly; or he can launch safari with the youtube url from inside his app. those web utilities that give you an mp4 download are very fast, and apparently they take a constant time, about a couple of seconds, regardless of the movie size. which kinda means that the youtube movies (or most of them) are actually stored in mp4 format. maybe somebody that knows more about video than i do can explain this better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.