Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kurenaiz

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
I tried turning safesleep on using terminal and disable network on istat pro, but still no luck.

My machine is the new unibody macbook pro 2.4ghz

I look up the forum and also google through many sites, but still can't find a working fix for the issues.

Anybody else experiences the same problem?

Azagar

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2008
San Francisco
Oddly I can replicate something like this by allowing bluetooth to wake from sleep. If I close the lid on my mbp then click the bluetooth keyboard or mouse, it does wake it but then reverts back to sleep because the lid is closed. At this point if I open the lid, my mbp will not wake up from sleep and have to hold down the power button to turn it back on. Of course all I did was turn off the option for bluetooth to wake up this computer.

kurenaiz

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
My macbook pro just can't wake up from sleep.

Once I open the lid, the screen remains black.

I found that this was an issue in the previous gen macbook pro when I search the forum.

So I'm wondering if there is actually a working fix now

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
it is not a known issue. i would want to isolate whether it is software or hardware. i would do this by installing a fresh copy of os x and testing. you can install on a portable hard drive or wherever.

mknawabi

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2006
Irvine, CA
dont move your laptop before it is done going into standby. this is the fix that has been working just fine for me.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
well, if you want to explore the software options, why not list any addons you have installed that are running. any applications that might install additional kexts, etc...

do you have a bootcamp partition? if so, does sleep work in windows?

kurenaiz

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
well, if you want to explore the software options, why not list any addons you have installed that are running. any applications that might install additional kexts, etc...

do you have a bootcamp partition? if so, does sleep work in windows?

Here are my programs:

Office for mac, iwork 08, spore, vlc, mplayer, niceplayer, adium, messenger for mac, istat pro, lux deluxe, vuze

I have vista on bootcamp, but rarely use it. So I don't know if it can sleep.

augie93

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2008
I called Apple support, and they suggested, among other things (and the one that worked for me!):

Turn off computer, unplug from power + remove battery.
Push and hold the power button. It won't turn on, but it resets/drains some capacitor or something.

So far, it hasn't been a problem since.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
all pretty benign software there.

any external peripherals? monitor, mouse, keyboard, flash drive, external drive? any active bluetooth devices? (phone for example)

wireless could also be tricky.

difficult for you to test when it's sporadic but testing with wifi off and either in vista or a fresh os x install will eliminate options.

Here are my programs:

Office for mac, iwork 08, spore, vlc, mplayer, niceplayer, adium, messenger for mac, istat pro, lux deluxe, vuze

I have vista on bootcamp, but rarely use it. So I don't know if it can sleep.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
can also try resetting the SMC just for kicks. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411

I called Apple support, and they suggested, among other things (and the one that worked for me!):

Turn off computer, unplug from power + remove battery.
Push and hold the power button. It won't turn on, but it resets/drains some capacitor or something.

So far, it hasn't been a problem since.

kurenaiz

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
all pretty benign software there.

any external peripherals? monitor, mouse, keyboard, flash drive, external drive? any active bluetooth devices? (phone for example)

wireless could also be tricky.

difficult for you to test when it's sporadic but testing with wifi off and either in vista or a fresh os x install will eliminate options.

the only thing that was left on before I close the lid is the wifi connection.

I don't have other peripherals.

revoked

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2008
just curious-
Do you have it set so that you need to log in every time the computer wakes up? I've noticed that problem only with that setting on.

kurenaiz

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
just curious-
Do you have it set so that you need to log in every time the computer wakes up? I've noticed that problem only with that setting on.

yes, currently I set it so I need to type in my password.

But with or without this setting, the problem persists

revoked

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2008
Try turning the setting off and then restarting. Leave the setting off and see if the problem persists.
I'm almost certain it's a bug with that setting on.

jackaz127

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
I have the 2.53 MBP unibody and I have exactly the same problem, i found no way to solve it. I resetted pram/nvram but it didn't work.:(

Augie's procedure may be the solution? I have never read of that procedure so I'm a little scared. is there a link of that on the official website?:)

jackaz127

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
god how fool i am, i didn't see!!!

i tried.. keep my fingers crossed hoping this will be the solution. :(

edit: it didn't work! :(
i'll ask for an exchange or something like that as soon as my TM external drive will arrive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.