Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris200x9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
hi, I'm looking to play gnugo on my phone, I have a terminal app woul it be possible to compile the source code and put it on my phone? if so how would be the easiest way to go about this? thanks in advance :)

jnic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Cambridge
Objective-C is a strict superset of C so porting it shouldn't be too hard provided gnugo doesn't hook into the OS too much. You'd just have to provide a few interface widgets to make it useful.

Be aware that you wouldn't be able to release it to the app store though, since it's GPL 3. The project's been open a while though, so I guess you could grab a version from when it was GPL 2 and port that (assuming you read "distributor" in section 3 as yourself rather than Apple; IANAL).

chris200x9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
hi, thanks for your reply but I don't know objective-c and I'm not looking to make an app (though this would probably be a good idea since I have yet to find a go app :p) I have a jailbroken phone and I do have a terminal emulator on it...I'm just wondering if I can get gnugo (don't care about interface can be terminal based for all I care) on it with almost no effort?

I do have some programming experience though so answers need not be in very simple terms :)

jnic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Cambridge
If it's jailbroken you could probably just try with the gcc from the toolchain and fix compile errors as they arise (assuming it doesn't rely on too much).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.