Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cswartout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
I just demo'd my older black plastic Macbook right next to my new aluminum Macbook (2.4). My black one was getting full reception while the new Macbook was getting no reception at all.

I have read that the aluminum housing in other models could interfere with reception, but this is kind of silly. In other parts of my house I go from full strength to barely a signal within 8 feet.

Add that to the weird screen refresh problem I am having (see link to youtube that I found that affected a macbook pro) and I am less than impressed with the new machine thus far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngurt41PyZo

Any thoughts on how to improve reception? I am using a Netgear Rangemax G router but was thinking about switching to an Apple Extreme for the router and an Express to link to my stereo. Perhaps that could improve my reception?

Any thoughts or anyone else experiencing the same troubles with this new machine?

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
i get crap connection on my whitebook..
i think its a defective airport card, or the airport cards apple puts in the macbooks are just junk..

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
My Blackbook get awesome reception. I can get decent reception from a neighbors wireless setup 5 houses away. I'm always amazed by the reception on it.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
my aluminum macbook gets way better reception in my room, which is all the way across the house from the router, than the whitebook did.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
my aluminum macbook gets way better reception in my room, which is all the way across the house from the router, than the whitebook did.

Really? mmmmm My friend (owns the new alu Macbook) and I compared our signal strengths at 3 different places and mine did way better which was expected. His wasn't bad, but not great either. I read a few articles on it and the tests they ran said basically the same thing. Like I said this was expected.

Vivid.Inferno

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
Ottawa, ON
my unibody MBP gets way better reception than any other computer my family owns. It also gets much better reception than any of my friends computers at my college. I'm one of the only people that can get a signal in the room we have classes in on fridays. :apple:

cswartout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
My black macbook has best reception ever

Seems like from the responses here, all things are relative, though my wife's white MB gets the same reception as my older Black MB. The jury is still out on the new Aluminum MB.

lidomkj

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2008
I thought the antenna was wrapped around the sides of the display(might be thinking of the Air) so the aluminum would have no impact to reception.

yOyOYoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2005
CA
I get the same reception out of my aluminum 13" macbook as I did with my aluminum 12" Powerbook G4.

Then again, both are aluminum...

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
From my own limited tests it get's slightly less reception than my late 2007 MBP but considerably better reception than my Dell Latitude D830.

Overall I'd give it a good score.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.