Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Allie1138

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
hello..
I created a website geared for the iPhone. I have about a 3 minute long video (m4v file). Works great, although the loading and buffering time is just way too long!! its about 15mbs now. Any suggestion son how I can get this movie to load and play faster??

Any suggestions is appreciated!!! thanks :)
:rolleyes:

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
This requires getting a little technical.

iPhone will support H.264, MPEG-4 in .mp4, .mov, .m4v formats, and MP3, protected AAC, AAC, Audible, Apple lossless in .aac, .mp3, .m4a files. The native video size of iPhone is 480x320.

H.264 (MP4) is a fast HD format using MPEG-4 compression which works well on iPhone 3G regardless if it uses Apple's FairPlay DRM copyright protection or not. Alot of people use Flash (supported on iPhone's Safari) but Flash doesn't support Apple's FairPlay DRM if your source video is encoded that way, and MP4 is 3x faster than FLV (older VP6 format). So I suggest if possible you create your own native MP4 using the converter I linked below or use Google to find MP4 converters, plenty of 'em out there.

Convert almost any format to H.264 via a cool utility discussed here and see for yourself.

-jim

Allie1138

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
iphone videos...

hi Jim...
Yes Ive been using the H.264 setting which is excellent for streaming.. although, i tried creating an mp4, also, an mov and the videos werent able to be read on the iphone, not sure why that is. But the video right n ow is H.264 converted into an m4v. SO I guess im doing the b est options out there? no way of loading & playing this video any faster on the iPhone from the web?

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
MP4 and M4V are the same encoding format - it's just MP4's as download links will open QuickTime and M4V's as download links will open itunes and transfer the video in your iTunes library.

And just so we're on the same page here, whatever extension is used, make sure the file you are generating is encoded as MPEG-4 H.264 PART 10. That is the standard I suggest for iPhone3G with no DRM copyright protection.

-jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.