Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should I swap my 2.4 uni MBP for a 1.86 gen 2 MBA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Original poster
I've got a friend with a the 1.86 2g MBA with the 128 SSD HD. I've got a 2.4 unibody MBP with 4 gigs of ram and applecare.

My friend is getting frustrated and wanting to run pro apps on his machine, OTHO, I don't. I'm using the MBP tied to a desk with an external montior using consumer type stuff. I do occasionally run a few XP programs using VMware Fusion, if that makes any difference.

My friend's proposing an even swap, since the overall price between the two systems are equal. While I'm not wild about losing an optical drive, the portability and weight of his rig is appealing to me. I've been hearing how snappy the SSD is for general use, but logically, I should be able to put in one in with twice the storage for half the price a year or two from now.

I'd like some input from people who have used with, and lived with, the 1.86 MBA. What is the screen like? How does it do paired with a monitor? How fast and responsive does the system feel for everyday use?

Deal or no Deal? Sign over the paperwork, or keep my Pro and update it with either more memory or a HD later on? Thanks for your advice.

Ironic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2008
In my MBA!
I just bought the 2.4,then found I wanted another MBA(first one A was a nightmare)I bought it and I love it!
the feel of the SSD is very quick, i love it

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
How close of a friend? Can you try swapping for a few days to see if it meets your needs? Or, go to a store and try the heaviest apps that you use. See if it's a better fit. Price-wise it might be a fair deal right now (MBP will hold it's value longer), but make sure it is the right fit before you commit.

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
(1)...I do occasionally run a few XP programs using VMware Fusion, if that makes any difference...

(2)...I'm not wild about losing an optical drive...

(3)...I've been hearing how snappy the SSD is for general use, but logically, I should be able to put in one in with twice the storage for half the price a year or two from now....

(4)...I'd like some input from people who have used with, and lived with, the 1.86 MBA. What is the screen like? How does it do paired with a monitor? How fast and responsive does the system feel for everyday use?...

1) That can make a difference, but from what I've heard the new MBA can handle fusion pretty well. What Window's programs?

2) That could be huge. If you actually use your optical drive on the go, this will be a huge setback. I don't know if your friend has the external drive, but carrying that can add to the bulk and isn't easy to use on your lap, and kills battery life.

3) Don't count on that! First gen MBA owners said the same thing and now apple switched from a PATA to SATA interface. They could switch something else down the line... and hardly anyone makes a drive that thin. New SSD drives are always turning up, but they are too thick for the MBA.

4) Maybe someone can answer these better than me, but try the search function. I've read threads with titles the same as each of your questions, try browsing a few and see if it lines up with what you need.

peace

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.