Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Is it possible to send email from my Gmail account using mobileme? I know that with Gmail I could add another email address to send email from but I do not see this option in MM? Any ideas?

BroadcastDoc

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Here's what I do...

Forward your GMail to your MobileMe account. Then, use GMail's servers for SMTP (Check out Google for information on how to do it).

Then, whenever you send mail, the GMail servers automagically change the sent from address to your GMail address. Note that this does not work when using MobileMe webmail, only through Mail.app (or other mail programs) and the iPhone.

nitewolfgtr

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2008
Looks like MobileMe allows email aliases if you have a full version. I'm currently on trial version but I'll let you know when I get the full version. Should be coming in the mail sometime today... :D

MobileMe.png

BroadcastDoc

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
The OP is talking about sending mail from addresses at other domains such as @gmail.com, not the @me.com addresses...

But yes you can do that. I can do that now with mac.com address.

Siriosys

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2007
New Zealand
The OP is talking about sending mail from addresses at other domains such as @gmail.com, not the @me.com addresses...

But yes you can do that. I can do that now with mac.com address.

Do you have any links on how to do this as when I've searched I end up with very conflicting information - some say yes, some say no.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Do you have any links on how to do this as when I've searched I end up with very conflicting information - some say yes, some say no.

BroadcastDoc's way works to do that, but like he said, only from a desktop client like Apple Mail or from the iPhone's Mail App. There does not seem to be a way to do it directly from me.com's webmail interface.

BroadcastDoc

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI

Note that this only works for gmail accounts, or your own domain if you use the Gmail for your domain service.

First, go into your Gmail account and turn forwarding on. Forward all of your mail to your MobileMe account.

Then, set up your iPhone and Mail.app accounts to receive mail from your MobileMe account.

Finally, go to the advanced settings in both iPhone Mail, and Mail.app, and make sure you use Gmail's SMTP server. You will need to use your Gmail address and password in the server settings (the server address is smtp.gmail.com).

Now, anything sent from your iPhone or Mail.app will have your Gmail address as the "from:" and "reply to:" addresses, because Gmail's SMTP server automatically changes that information on the outgoing message.

Again, this will NOT work from the MobileMe web app. You'll still need to use the GMail web app for webmail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.