PDA

View Full Version : mbox 2 pro with new macbook pro?

calure
Dec 2, 2008, 10:58 AM
Hi all, anybody, everybody...

I am about to purchase a new(late 2008) macbook pro 2.53ghz and the mbox 2 pro to go with it. Has anyone been able to connect these two succesfully as there is a firewire 400 on the mbox 2 pro and only a 800 on the mbp. Digidesign are still running tests for converter cables and express card solutions, but their tests are weeks away from complete. Due to certain circumstances I need to buy the gear sooner rather than later... Can anyone please advise, I would be very grateful...

Also, how quiet will the fans on the macbook pro be when this system is working, I am mostly acoustic vocal based and do not yet have the studio I dream of... quite the contrary...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Oh and does anyone have an early 2008 macbook pro 2.5 ghz because if the fans are not a noisy problem then its a lot cheaper now.

Cheers in advance...

UgLy KoeRner
Dec 2, 2008, 11:31 PM
yeah I need this answer aswell I just got a MBP and it is a sick machine, and im about to grab the Mbox pro ...I really hope this changes my world...But yeah hopefully we get some positive feedback. im alittle confused about the firewire thing now that you brought it up, If the machine is missing somekind of 400 or 800 or whatever does that mean I have to get some kind of connecter...Being and loving music is a nightmare aswell as godsend.

This is my music only adding it so you can see what im trying to achieve and make pro as I can...I hate being in studios and being rushed. this music aint for everyone believe me I know.

http://www.myspace.com/officialUgLy

calure
Dec 3, 2008, 01:07 AM
Interesting music Ugly... would make a good soundrack piece for a slightly disturbed/phsycological movie like... fightclub but more indie than that...

Any way hope there are some knowlegables out there on the mbox 2 pro set-up...

Cheers

mikeinternet
Dec 10, 2008, 11:45 AM
When apple announced they will be using FW800 only, they made it clear there is a simple adapter available to use FW400 devices.

My concern if I were you would be what HD you are going to record on. once the FW port is taken by the Mbox Pro, you are only left with USB 2 for your drive.

This has been talked about in another thread regarding the macbook which only has USB.

Plumbstone
Dec 10, 2008, 02:17 PM
I responded to the same question in another thread. The mbox2 works fine with a fw800-400 adapter or lead on my Macpro and mbp. As for an external HD most have more than 1 FW port and can be used as FW busses, especially if the drive has fw800.

Mattaut
Dec 11, 2008, 11:35 AM
You could also settle for a mbox 2 standard which uses USB and save a little money.

calure
Dec 11, 2008, 04:33 PM
thanks for your responses - I'm getting it and can't wait!

CalumC
Dec 12, 2008, 06:51 PM
You could always get an expresscard for your MBP with a firewire 400 port.

WinterMute
Dec 13, 2008, 04:54 AM
The problem with the FW800 port situation is not that the M-box pro won't work, because it will, and the Pro has 2 FW400 ports on it specifically to run a chained HD from, but that means I can't run a FW800 HD and my M-box pro at the same time.

Bad design decisions on Apples part there.

Unless Digidesign or the other interface manufacturers develop an FW800 solution, I'l not be moving from the MBP 17 I currently use.

Oh, and the location of the 2 USB ports mean I can't use the 2 iLok keys I need either, they won't fit.

I'm hoping a new version of the MBP 17 is more accommodating, but I doubt it will be, given that it ever surfaces.

mcpryon2
Dec 13, 2008, 06:35 AM
The problem with the FW800 port situation is not that the M-box pro won't work, because it will, and the Pro has 2 FW400 ports on it specifically to run a chained HD from, but that means I can't run a FW800 HD and my M-box pro at the same time.

Bad design decisions on Apples part there.

Unless Digidesign or the other interface manufacturers develop an FW800 solution, I'l not be moving from the MBP 17 I currently use.

Oh, and the location of the 2 USB ports mean I can't use the 2 iLok keys I need either, they won't fit.

I'm hoping a new version of the MBP 17 is more accommodating, but I doubt it will be, given that it ever surfaces.

I'm wondering, though I'm guessing I know the answer already...are you using two iloks because you're using two different accounts? It's always irked me that the Mbox doesn't have at very least a USB slot for the ilok...or even a slot for that paper thin card that holds the licenses.

WinterMute
Dec 13, 2008, 05:24 PM
I'm wondering, though I'm guessing I know the answer already...are you using two iloks because you're using two different accounts? It's always irked me that the Mbox doesn't have at very least a USB slot for the ilok...or even a slot for that paper thin card that holds the licenses.

Yes, I have a personal account and one to hold the licenses from the Uni stuff, you can't transfer licenses not registered to you.

You'd think they'd provide a slot for the Lok or even an internal bay to keep it safe.

UgLy KoeRner
Dec 29, 2008, 10:01 PM
im so lost and confused, I have the MBP and I thought it had both firewires... 400 and the 800 or whatever it is...Im about to purchase the Mbox pro 2, but am wondering do I really need the pro, Does anyone know the differences, I am hopeing its not just that U can record simaltaniuosly with the pro as opposed to one thing at a time with the mbox 2....Are the factory plug ins the same for each? I wanted the pro cause I am assuming U get more out of it....

Sorry guys im very lost, and if I dont need the pro might aswell pick the up the Mbox 2...

Also wondering if the firewire for some reason werks better as oppsed to USB...I get the vibe that firewire is more intune, but I dont know if thats a false accusation.

yes looks like on my MBP I have 2 firewire ports...a 400 and an 800.

Sorry for the random mess on here im tired and stressed and am hopeing to get this Mbox out of the way and start recording my record...

Hope everyones having good times.

WinterMute
Dec 30, 2008, 03:56 AM
The Pro uses firewire and not USB, it has 2 FW400 ports for chaining HD's.

More importantly, it has a separate power supply so the mic amps are powered properly and they sound much better than the USB buss-powered versions.

The multiple inputs and outputs are hardly unique, as you can get M=powered M-audio interfaces with more ins and outs, however, the advent of 7.1 outputs from LE (at a steep price) means having at least 8 outputs is a good thing.

The plug-ins in the Factory Bundle look to be identical on the Pro and the 2.

The Pro also has 2 independent headphone sends, which I've found very useful in remote recording.

Finally and most importantly the Pro allows 96/24 recording and playback, wheras the USB versions will only allow 44.1 or 48Khz at 24 bits.

I've been very happy with the Pro as a portable solution, but am still using the 003 where I can, and HD when I don't need to be out of the studio.

UgLy KoeRner
Dec 30, 2008, 06:02 PM
WinterMute thank U very bery much, that was the advice I needed to know what I want...and I will get the pro 2...U rule, take care.

peterdavies
Jan 5, 2009, 10:26 AM
ok, i have an mBox 2 Pro and i just bought a new Macbook Pro (late 2008). Im pulling my hair out! Macbook pro won't find Mbox 2 Pro. Ive been in contact with Apple and Digi-design but still no joy. i had to get a firewire 800 to 400 adapter to connect them but its not working.

UgLy KoeRner
Jan 6, 2009, 09:38 PM
Sorry to hear about that, I got a newer one aswell, and it has both 400 and 800 FW, I think my only concern now is witch hardrive to buy, I am guessing a fw400 forsurwe as the 800 goes to the Mbox pro, im getting my Mbox pro2 this weekend...Ill let you know how it goes. Good luck with everything man and let us know if you get any luck.

-UgLy
http://www.myspace.com/officialUgLy

WinterMute
Jan 7, 2009, 08:02 AM
There are a number of reports that the new MacBook Pros FW800 port is causing problems with the M-box Pro.

I have to say I'm going to source a late model 17" later this week to replace my old machine, I can't see the point of having 800 running at 400, and I need the interface and the HD's connected ay best speed.

The USB's are too close together to employ 2 iLoks as well.

Meh.

Phat Ham
Jan 7, 2009, 04:19 PM
I was in the same predicament. Bought a unibody MBP and needed to buy a small pro tools rig. I ended up getting away from the digidesign hardware and went the M-Audio route. Specifically a profire 610 with pro tools M powered. The profire 610 is comparable to the Mbox2 Pro in features and by most accounts has better preamps and converters. I haven't had any problems using a 9pin to 6 pin FW cable but I haven't really pushed the thing yet. Installation was easy and everything worked right away. My plan is to get an external drive that has both FW800 and FW400 ports and connect it MBP <-> FW drive <-> profire. Not sure if this will preserve the 800 mbps speed between the MBP and hard drive but if it doesn't oh well.

The Mbox2 (non-pro) is still running USB 1. That is ridiculous. Also, from what I've read the preamps in the mbox2 are actually worse than the ones in the original mbox. If you want to go the USB route M Audio has the Fast Track Ultra which uses the same preamps as the profire series. Not sure about the converters, but I can guarantee you it is better than the digi stuff.

UgLy KoeRner
Jan 8, 2009, 04:55 PM
Well guys your scaring me here...I have the money and I want to buy the mbox pro2 I really feel pro tools is the best to record a record for release...hmmm im not the brightest, any further help would be great...ofcourse if I buy it at $1000 I will be pissed if theres problems, and what kind of ploblems have you heard of?

UgLy KoeRner
Jan 8, 2009, 10:25 PM
I was in the same predicament. Bought a unibody MBP and needed to buy a small pro tools rig. I ended up getting away from the digidesign hardware and went the M-Audio route. Specifically a profire 610 with pro tools M powered. The profire 610 is comparable to the Mbox2 Pro in features and by most accounts has better preamps and converters. I haven't had any problems using a 9pin to 6 pin FW cable but I haven't really pushed the thing yet. Installation was easy and everything worked right away. My plan is to get an external drive that has both FW800 and FW400 ports and connect it MBP <-> FW drive <-> profire. Not sure if this will preserve the 800 mbps speed between the MBP and hard drive but if it doesn't oh well.

The Mbox2 (non-pro) is still running USB 1. That is ridiculous. Also, from what I've read the preamps in the mbox2 are actually worse than the ones in the original mbox. If you want to go the USB route M Audio has the Fast Track Ultra which uses the same preamps as the profire series. Not sure about the converters, but I can guarantee you it is better than the digi stuff.

Does the pro tools come with the m-audio and what was the price around...Just curiuos.

danny_w
Jan 8, 2009, 10:37 PM
You could always get an expresscard for your MBP with a firewire 400 port.
According to many reports that doesn't work. It causes OS X to lock up, or otherwise not work.

WinterMute
Jan 9, 2009, 04:41 AM
All the problems are surrounding the FW800 port in the new unibody MBP's, it seems that the M-box PRO will not work with the 800-400 adapter that Apple are forcing you to use due to the lack of a FW400 port.

The USB variants of the M-box are not affected, so the M-box 2 should be fine.

No idea if the M-audio variants are affected.

The M-powered version of protools is exactly the same as LE, except that you get an M-audio interface and not an M-box.

UgLy KoeRner
Jan 9, 2009, 05:49 AM
All the problems are surrounding the FW800 port in the new unibody MBP's, it seems that the M-box PRO will not work with the 800-400 adapter that Apple are forcing you to use due to the lack of a FW400 port.

The M-powered version of protools is exactly the same as LE, except that you get an M-audio interface and not an M-box.

Oh so they may also not affect my MBP as I have both the fw800 and fw400 on my comp, I would not need any adapter...U know I think I am going to get the the mbox pro 2 TMW, I really dont know what to get but I dont want to keep waiting, wish me luck...My plan is to record full length album on this set up. Where there is a will there is a way. Have a good weekend...Ill be around.

danny_w
Jan 9, 2009, 08:25 AM

The problem may also be due to the Lucent/Agere firewire chip that is used in the new MBP. According to many audio experts this chip has caused many problems in the past. So with this new MBP Apple not only limits you to only one FW800 port, but also uses the inferior Lucent/Agere chip instead of the well proven TI chip.

EDIT: I understand that they used Lucent/Agere in a prior model and had so many problems that they changed back to the TI chip. Now for some reason they have gone back to Lucent/Agere.

UgLy KoeRner
Jan 11, 2009, 12:34 AM
Hey I purchased the Mbox 2 pro today... So far so good, although im not sure I installed everyuthing correctly, I get alot of pop ups before the program loads up, anyone know how I can get rid of all that...Or any suggestions on things that are a must for installing this system that I got...However Pro tools did work and I was already able to demo some tracks today.

17" MBP mbox 2 pro

WinterMute
Jan 11, 2009, 06:19 AM
The pop-up are likely to be because you haven't authorised the plug-ins or you haven't plugged your iLok in.

The authorisations live on the iLok and it has to be present.

UgLy KoeRner
Jan 11, 2009, 11:11 AM
ok ill check that out right now, umm wow so many things to do...like I got a million activation codes, my emails filled with them...but ill get this going no doubt...I was able to place a beat in and record raw vocals...Its a nice set up....Ill get back to you when I try to clear some of this up.

UgLy KoeRner
Jan 11, 2009, 11:42 AM
Hey ok so I signed upo the Ilok and downloaded the software or whatever, and it succeeded but still when I open pro tools I get the pop ups and there seems no way around them...what U think im missing here.

UgLy KoeRner
Jan 11, 2009, 12:43 PM
Wintermute, I need you here homy...So many things going on here its ridiculuos...So I got the activication key account, but nothing really changed when its hooked up, I see there is maybe a chip I need, but I dont have 1...Next I dont really know what im uploading to my comp, I tried to get reason going not werking, so many numbers and licenses im complatelely lost.