PDA

View Full Version : Psychic Ability

eyelikeart
Jun 6, 2002, 11:19 PM
I just got back from seeing John Edward tonite. The seminar was very good. He basically is able to recieve messages from the "other side" and through throwing them out, is able to pass on messages of the dead to those still here on earth. For those who are not familiar, he's a psychic/medium who has a show called "Crossing Over," which has become a big success in the past couple years, on the Sci-Fi channel...

here's a link to find out more about him:
http://www.johnedward.net (http://www.johnedward.net/)

Do any of u guys believe in psychic powers? have u ever been to a psychic? ever communicated with the dead? want to communicate with the dead?

Durandal7
Jun 6, 2002, 11:23 PM
I believe in psychic powers, I just have little faith in John Edward's abilities. It always seems to me like he just starts out vague and gets the person to give themselves a message. I may be missing something though. If you're interested in the subject you may want to check out http://www.artbell.com

eyelikeart
Jun 6, 2002, 11:27 PM
I completely understand your point of view...but after tonite...I am pretty damned convinced of his abilities...

he was hitting on so many things....and unless the people in the crowd were just really good actors, I'd say he was very accurate and hit home to them all...

Durandal7
Jun 6, 2002, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
I completely understand your point of view...but after tonite...I am pretty damned convinced of his abilities...

he was hitting on so many things....and unless the people in the crowd were just really good actors, I'd say he was very accurate and hit home to them all...

I'm not completely disregarding him, all I'm saying is that when you watch the show on the TV it seems edited so you can't tell what's going on very well. I'll take your word for it though.

Hemingray
Jun 6, 2002, 11:32 PM
Call me a Doubting Thomas, but I think it's about as real as WWF. :D

Rower_CPU
Jun 6, 2002, 11:36 PM
Psychic ability is one of those things that people can really go either way with.

Some see it as a convenient way of explaining strange phenomena (precognition, ESP), while others look at the science behind it (brain activity).

I believe that the human mind is an amazing thing, capable of feats beyond our imagination...after all, we only use what, 10-30% right?

I also believe that there are some things that cannot be explained any other way. Take for instance studies that find that on days when a plane crashes, there are unusually high numbers of cancellations by passengers on those flights. People just cancel because they "feel ill". I don't know if recent studies bear this out, but I know I was pretty freaked out when I read it.:eek:

Durandal7
Jun 6, 2002, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

I believe that the human mind is an amazing thing, capable of feats beyond our imagination...after all, we only use what, 10-30% right?

Actually we use around 80% of our brain. We use 10% at any given moment. Still, we don't know what the hell most of the brain is doing.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 08:15 AM
I think there are things we don't understand, that's for sure. As for psychic, I've never met any and most of the time I see them is late nite tv commercials for the Psychic Friends Hotline - not exactly somethign to trust.

But I have had some weird experiences personally, can't reall explain them, so I have to say the there are senses and abilities we don't really know about. Besides, you always here stories about the psychics who help solve police climes....that is weird *****

Beej
Jun 7, 2002, 08:28 AM

Do any of u guys believe in psychic powers? have u ever been to a psychic?I picked the speeds of the new PowerMacs before they were released a couple of MW's back, does that count?

As for being a beleiver... no, not really. It's kind of like magic... you go and see a magic show, you watch it and go 'wow, that's cool', but you know no one's in the box when it's being cut in half - you just don't know how the person got out of the box...

Man that's a weird comparison. If you understand it, you're doing better than me! :D

mac15
Jun 7, 2002, 08:36 AM
I believe in that phsycic stuff cause take twins for example they have like some mystical bond thing
and its strange so yeah I believe

resm
Jun 7, 2002, 09:17 AM
its actually as simple and normal as eating, sleeping and passing st....l

the only "magic" with it is....some do have it and most do not...its rare.

That again is not because only few have it....no..we all have it but mostly its dormant and to the few who experience it, its happening only a few time in a life time.

Psychic power can be developed though trough very simple technics such as meditation.

Although I would hardly even call it "developing" since its there in the first place but its merely that higher level of consciousness is penetrating down to our consciousness.

Some people may experience it when completly relaxing such as sitting on a lonely beach (like Dukestreet) :D

Clairvoyance can be developed by concentrating on a bright object (crystal ball) or others but predictions of such people are almost never completely correct :p

And last, even LSD has the effect of giving certain glimps into other levels of our mind......but thats not a recomendable way to go :eek:

eyelikeart
Jun 7, 2002, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by resm

the only "magic" with it is....some do have it and most do not...its rare.

That again is not because only few have it....no..we all have it but mostly its dormant and to the few who experience it, its happening only a few time in a life time.

This is one of the many things that he spoke about last night. He said that every one us there had the ability to do just as he is doing...that everyone has the ability...but the part of actually being able to tap into it is what separates most people from those such as himself.

I completely think that some people are able to exhibit a sixth sense...and I also believe that many people have experienced it as well. Anything from just "having a feeling" of something to happen to sometimes sensing someone close by & even a slight touch, but when u look no one is there...this all falls in line with the ways.

I believe there are ghosts & spirits all around us everywhere we go. I know it's corny, but like the movie The Matrix, it's a matter of just freeing your mind to it.

resm
Jun 7, 2002, 09:52 AM
erm....actually part of the explanation about Ghosts and Spirits you can read in my thread about Yoga but only partially.

So if you want to hear more about my explanation...let me know.

Its a bit long but interresting.

But I don't want to waste my time on something that people just push aside as "crap" :D

eyelikeart
Jun 7, 2002, 09:59 AM
But I don't want to waste my time on something that people just push aside as "crap" :D

I completely understand...I'm going to have to go back to the yoga thread to reread it...it's been a while...

resm
Jun 7, 2002, 10:05 AM
its in the part about "5 fundamental factors" and two are getting lost :eek:

britboy
Jun 7, 2002, 10:07 AM
I agree with hemingray here. Whilst i believe that the potential of the brain is nowhere near being realised, i don't think mind-reading and the like are possible.

I'm a sceptic, what can i say?

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 10:10 AM

Some people may experience it when completly relaxing such as sitting on a lonely beach (like Dukestreet) :D

I have it on an irregular basis, I probably need to develop it some more. I'm not really all that jazzed talking about it because its really weird sometimes. But I usually can get something right when I'm in between sleep and waking up, where I let my mind drift and don't concentrate on any single thought. I've had some amazing 'views' and other times if I lay back in bed at night, close my eyes and 'look' at the pictures and thoughts that sort of flash up in rapid succession. It so friggin hard to explain, sorry. But its not the spots you see in when you close your eyes, I can actually get impressions of images, sort of like fuzzy photographs...like I said, weird

resm
Jun 7, 2002, 10:41 AM
it's 11:30 pm here so I have to go and sleep.

If you like, I can give you some hints about what is happening to you tomorrow.
Its not so weird, but maybe difficult to understand :)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 10:46 AM
it's 11:30 pm here so I have to go and sleep.

I think I'll have no problem understanding it, I have a pretty open mind about this sort of thing. I have to since I can see the *images* pretty much anytime I relax. I can also control my dreams, I don't ever really have nightmares and if things start to go a little south, I change course. Best example would be falling off a cliff and starting to fly before I hit the ground.....

so go right ahead and post your thoughts, I'd love to read them.

D

eyelikeart
Jun 7, 2002, 11:37 AM

maybe he can tell me what's going to happen with the pizza hottie?! :D

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 11:48 AM
It doesn't work that way for me, at least. I don't look for something specific, I just get what ever it happens to be. I think I'll need to work on getting better control

What's up with pizza girl? You going to see her this weekend?

jefhatfield
Jun 7, 2002, 12:08 PM
i don't believe in those types of powers for anyone

in christianity, even jesus christ admitted that he did not know exactly when he was coming back

so when i hear of religious figures like pat robertson somehow having psychic powers over the tv set, then i get really skeptical

then why couldn't old pat robertson use those powers to play the stock market so he could just provide free programming and not ask us for money over the tv set?

and what stops any psychic from just cleaning up at wall street? or betting on tyson or the lakers or the arizona diamondbacks - now there's an endless supply of money...he he:p

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by jefhatfield

and what stops any psychic from just cleaning up at wall street? or betting on tyson or the lakers or the arizona diamondbacks - now there's an endless supply of money...he he:p

because they're not in it for the money!

Come on jef, you know they can only use their powers for good.....

jefhatfield
Jun 7, 2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet

because they're not in it for the money!

Come on jef, you know they can only use their powers for good.....

but money can be used for good, too

use it to feed the starving of the world

cure cancer, diabetes, and aids

fight terrorism

etc

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 12:28 PM
jef, I was joking, I was going to put the ;) and :rolleyes: in but I didn't think it was necessary.

Its sort of like the saying that the man who doesn't want to be king is the best man for the job. People who are claiming to be psychics and asking for you money are mostly con artists working a scam. There are people out there who have gifts, but they don't need to go the commercial route....

jefhatfield
Jun 7, 2002, 12:32 PM
jef, I was joking, I was going to put the ;) and :rolleyes: in but I didn't think it was necessary.

Its sort of like the saying that the man who doesn't want to be king is the best man for the job. People who are claiming to be psychics and asking for you money are mostly con artists working a scam. There are people out there who have gifts, but they don't need to go the commercial route....

:eek:

eyelikeart
Jun 7, 2002, 12:39 PM
What's up with pizza girl? You going to see her this weekend?

well tonite a friend of mine is trying hard to get me out there to do it...

so I guess we'll see... ;)

cleo
Jun 7, 2002, 01:13 PM
I totally believe in all of this stuff. It's all energy - really everything is - and the more open you are to the energies the more you're able to see/experience.

I am absolutely fascinated by the John Edward guy. The few times I have been able to watch the whole show, I am moved to tears. Usually, though, my heart starts racing and I get so... I don't know... creeped out (but not in necessarily a bad way - just kind of aware) that I have to turn the TV off.

eyelikeart
Jun 7, 2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by cleo
I am absolutely fascinated by the John Edward guy. The few times I have been able to watch the whole show, I am moved to tears. Usually, though, my heart starts racing and I get so...

I found myself in the same prediciment last night...quite a few times I was just "Wow!" and could feel the emotion the person whom he was reading...

very empathetic...he's also a great speaker... ;)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 01:18 PM

I found myself in the same prediciment last night...quite a few times I was just "Wow!" and could feel the emotion the person whom he was reading...

very empathetic...he's also a great speaker... ;)

I've never seen him, so I can't really know exactly what you're talking about. But it sounds like he has a lot of charisma. That can be a very powerful thing. I personally don't like people who emote like that, they give me the creeps. Don't know why.

eyelikeart
Jun 7, 2002, 01:40 PM
it's amazing the ability one has when he/she is able to command a crowd...

there was probably 1200 people (I'm guessing here) in the center last night...and every single person had their eyes & ears glued to him...

it's also funny to see how some people react to stage fright...something I pretty much gave up when I started djing in high school... ;)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 02:07 PM
it's amazing the ability one has when he/she is able to command a crowd...

there was probably 1200 people (I'm guessing here) in the center last night...and every single person had their eyes & ears glued to him...

If I had been there, I would have felt the reaction from the crowd, but wouldn't have been as intent. I tend to tune out when some gets like that.

What was he saying, btw. And 1200 people, that's nuts. How much were tickets...

eyelikeart
Jun 7, 2002, 02:12 PM

What was he saying, btw. And 1200 people, that's nuts. How much were tickets...

I'm guessing...it could very well have been a few hundred less...but it's such a big room...hard to tell...

tix were $45.50 face value...we were 6th row from the front...he he he :D

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 02:17 PM

I'm guessing...it could very well have been a few hundred less...but it's such a big room...hard to tell...

tix were $45.50 face value...we were 6th row from the front...he he he :D

Even if it was 1000, thats some pretty good cash for one night. He probably has talent and he's making it work for him. He's probably rolling in money if he can get that big of an audience....

eyelikeart
Jun 7, 2002, 02:21 PM
He's probably rolling in money if he can get that big of an audience....

oh yeah...tv show...book deals...live seminars...I'd say he's living it up! :D

Gelfin
Jun 7, 2002, 03:46 PM
After many years, I've found it best to adhere to a simple philosophy: don't believe in crap. On the surface it seems like it might be difficult to distinguish crap from non-crap, but here's a quick test: When I say "don't believe in crap," does it immediately occur to you to leap to the defense of some belief of yours? There you go. People waste so much time wanting to believe in things that deep down they have to know are ridiculous.

John Edward is doing what so-called "mediums" have done for years. He's not actually even very good at it as these people go. His success can be attributed to the speed with which he applies the techniques and his general ability to be a personable television host. Compare to someone like Sylvia Browne, who could never host her own show. Honestly whenever she's a guest on a talk show she comes across to me like she's a little bit drunk.

There are a number of things these people do:

1. Edward (and the others) will generally keep a few "ringers" in the audience, actors with preset stories the medium can use for an easy hit to raise his credibility with the audience. Usually you fall back on ringers if the regular audience members aren't biting. With Edward, you can tell when he goes to a ringer because he will start ignoring regular audience members who claim some association with what he's saying. He'll say something like, "no, this is very specific..." and throw out something else to try to dodge the audience member. Then the ringer gasps and speaks up.

2. Most good mediums are highly skilled at what's called "cold reading." This is a technique by which the medium can approach someone he's never met and appear to discern hidden facts. Anyone who has read Sherlock Holmes stories knows part of how this is done. You can tell a lot about people from context. A woman wearing a wedding band on a chain is probably a widow. Rings often have initials. Many people wear those "prisoner of war" bracelets in honor/memory of someone close to them. Someone with a watch on their right wrist is probably left-handed, a genetic trait which can be used to allude to a left-handed relative who has "passed over."

3. When you're a medium your audience WANTS you to be right, and they'll gladly help you along. You can discern enough from people's expressions that they might as well be saying "warmer" and "colder" as you fish around for details. Palmists use this sort of thing in particular. When you're right, they're pushing their hands towards you. When you're wrong, they're pulling away. People will give you little bits of information as you go, particularly with regard to how people died. Mediums often give very sketchy medical diagnoses, but the thing is, their audiences don't understand medicine well enough to know just how far off the mark they usually are.

4. An audience who wants you to succeed is more helpful than you can imagine. There's a well-known phenomenon in psychology called "confirmation bias," which is the tendency to remember the facts that support one's belief and rationalize away or just ignore the ones that don't. Cold readers use this to great effect.

5. When you were waiting around for Edward's show, people are conversing. They're about to go see a show where they're told they might hear from dead relatives. So they are talking about what? Duh. Their dead relatives. A few concealed directional microphones can provide Edward with more than enough material for a show.

The nature of cold reading is such that some mediums actually develop the technique without ever realizing that's what they're doing. They themselves are the victims of confirmation bias, and come to believe in their own abilities. I don't think Edward is in that category, however. I think he knows exactly what he's doing. Like I said, people have been doing this for centuries and not ONE has ever stood up to good objective scientific analysis.

The James Randi Educational Foundation (http://www.randi.org) has a longstanding prize of one million dollars for anyone who can prove, under laboratory conditions, that they can produce any supernatural effect. The range of possible applicants ranges from famous spoon-bender Uri Geller to people like John Edward to those guys on the Internet who try to get people to invest in their so-called infinite energy machines. All you have to do is demonstrate your power and you walk away with not only one million dollars, but also with vindication of your field in the eyes of naysayers. You would almost certainly also gain the full attention of the scientific community as they attempt to understand how you seem to violate the laws of nature as we understand them. A successful applicant would very likely get the Nobel Prize, and another million dollars there.

You'd think that at least some psychics would be tripping over themselves to apply for this. JREF has had no takers. I don't mean they haven't paid out the money. I mean nobody has submitted him or herself. Sylvia Browne publicly stated on the Larry King program that she would do so, but (surprise) didn't follow through.

So anyhow, yeah it would be really cool if people had psychic powers and could talk to the dead and there was Real Magic in the world... but the Universe is in no way obligated to adhere to your notions of what would be cool.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Gelfin

So anyhow, yeah it would be really cool if people had psychic powers and could talk to the dead and there was Real Magic in the world... but the Universe is in no way obligated to adhere to your notions of what would be cool.

Nice post Gelfin. Reminds me of the movie Fletch Lives, where he goes to visit the Televangelist who is 'healing' people from the crowd, and behind the scenes the Pastor or Reverend is being fed info from the booth on the people he's picking from the crowd.

As soon as I read your post I remembered that scene, makes total sense.

What I was describing isn't the same, I don't have any solutions, discussions with dead people, its just images that seem to pop randomly in my head, that and a few lucid dreams. I don't have an explanation for it all and who knows what it means. Resm seems to have an idea and I look forward to what he has to say.

Rower_CPU
Jun 7, 2002, 04:03 PM
Nice post Gelfin. Reminds me of the movie Fletch Lives, where he goes to visit the Televangelist who is 'healing' people from the crowd, and behind the scenes the Pastor or Reverend is being fed info from the booth on the people he's picking from the crowd.

As soon as I read your post I remembered that scene, makes total sense.

What I was describing isn't the same, I don't have any solutions, discussions with dead people, its just images that seem to pop randomly in my head, that and a few lucid dreams. I don't have an explanation for it all and who knows what it means. Resm seems to have an idea and I look forward to what he has to say.

Wasn't that "Leap of Faith" with Steve Martin?

eyelikeart
Jun 7, 2002, 04:38 PM

nice save rower ;)

Rower_CPU
Jun 7, 2002, 04:40 PM
nice save rower ;)

:D
I'm gonna have to start a Steve Martin quote thread to compete with the Jay and Silent Bob one...

After all, he's my Dad...:eek:

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 05:06 PM

well, it might have also been in Leap of Faith, but I know for sure it was in Fletch Lives. Nothing wrong with using it more than once....

So no save there eye;)

Rower_CPU
Jun 7, 2002, 05:36 PM
well, it might have also been in Leap of Faith, but I know for sure it was in Fletch Lives. Nothing wrong with using it more than once....

So no save there eye;)

What?!?!?!? You mean Hollywood has produced movies based on the same premise!?!??!!? I'm shocked and apalled!?!?!?!?

:rolleyes:

I've only seen "Fletch"...that was enough for me.

mischief
Jun 7, 2002, 05:51 PM
It seems I'm an oddity.

I don't go for the whole "medium" bit.

However, I've been haunted (not pleasant, don't reccommend it). I've had preminitory "visions", some YEARS in advance, some only hours. I've had personal experience with synchronicity beyond chance, simple ESP and I can, to a limited degree "feel" Aural fields.

Say "************" all you want. I don't doubt my own experience.;)

Gelfin
Jun 7, 2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by mischief

(...) I can, to a limited degree "feel" Aural fields.

Say "************" all you want. I don't doubt my own experience.;)

I'm not questioning your experience. Possibly your interpretation of it, but that really doesn't matter. Here's how this works: Write to Randi. Tell him that you can "feel Aural fields." Define what you mean by "Aural field," including the conditions under which you believe you are best able to detect them and what sort of qualitative distinctions you encounter. This will allow them to help you construct a rigorous double-blind test wherein your ability to perform according to the criteria you set will be evaluated under controlled conditions. If you can do appreciably better than chance, you get a million bucks.

The thing is, everyone gets feelings. That's normal. Everyone gets little images flashing through their heads. That's imagination. Over your lifetime it would be shocking if there weren't some very interesting coincidences. Confirmation bias is what makes you forget all the little imagined scenarios that didn't come true. People tend to think they might be psychic because they get flashes of insight that don't seem to come directly from conscious deduction. But intuition does not require a supernatural faculty. Your brain continues processing things outside your immediate scope of consciousness, and sometimes you'll subconsciously make associations that turn out to be significant. It's less reliable than deduction, because the brain makes spurious associations as well, but it can be useful, and some people are better at it than others. This doesn't require any magic at all. It just seems that way when you get a hunch you can't readily explain and it turns out to be correct.

teabgs
Jun 7, 2002, 07:33 PM
I believe in psychic abilities...but I also believe in the conartist that calls himself a medium.

There are things that happen that can only be explained by psychic abilities, but mediums are trained to say generalized things to find a persons weak spot. then the pounce with some general things that seem specific. They're basically evil psychologists....who make even MORE money...

Gelfin
Jun 7, 2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by teabgs

There are things that happen that can only be explained by psychic abilities [...]

Just doing my part to push you over the 500 mark, but... what things, specifically?

teabgs
Jun 8, 2002, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by Gelfin

Just doing my part to push you over the 500 mark, but... what things, specifically?

well for one...I dreamt that my elementary school was painted blue from 1st grade until 6th grade..all the time, then it happened after I'd dreamt about it for years...

resm
Jun 8, 2002, 05:00 AM
Before I started to do meditation I had dreams on a regular basis....almost every night.
Some of them where so real that it felt more like an "out of body experience".

Upon Initiation into meditation (Yoga practices) it stopped almost immediatly.

here part of a book called "beyond superconscious mind".

Quote...

The kaleidoscopic images of dreams are windows into the subconscious mind. During the day, the mind is agitated by many sense impressions which are stored in the subconscious mind. Every night we have a tremendous backlog of partially-processed experience and during sleep, when these accumulated unsorted impressions are revived in the braincells, the disjointed images of daily life appear in the subconscious mind as dreams. Dreams help us to process our daily experiences or to satisfy deep desires which do not find fulfillment in our conscious everyday lives.

But the process expends tremendous energy. Dreaming is indeed a kind of "internal frenzy". The closed eyes move rapidly in their sockets, the puls and breathing become erratic, the blood pressure soars, oxygene consumption is increased, the hormones in the blood rise sharply and the brain temperature soars. And this bodily activity may occur five or six times in one night. Little wonder that we often wake up as tired as when we went to bed.

Dream stimulation may become even more agitated if the nerves are tense or weak, the brain is overtaxed due to anxiety or intense mental concentration or the digestion is disturbed (over-eating or eating too late at night produces gases which may disturb the mind during sleep).

Most people have to dream to discharge the waves of nervous exitement which build up in their bodies each day and if they are deprived of dreaming for several nights they may become sverly mentally affected.

Only those who practice deep meditation do not need to dream, for meditation performs the same function of psychic catharsis for them that dreams do for the dreamer. If they maintain a healthy way of thinking and restrain over their diet, they will remain in a deep, relaxed, dreamless state troughout the night and wake up feeling more refreshed even after a few hours of sleep.
End of quote..

It takes me generally not more then five minutes before I fall a sleep (when I go to bed ) :D

Sometimes I even miss the "show time" I had before in my sleep :)

Now, this is about "Dreams".

I do not say that there are no psychic phenomenas, even during sleep, but that is a different chapter and a bit longer :(

Gelfin
Jun 8, 2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by teabgs

well for one...I dreamt that my elementary school was painted blue from 1st grade until 6th grade..all the time, then it happened after I'd dreamt about it for years...

Hmm... good to know the sixth sense conveys such crucial information. Honestly, you'll have to do better than that. Here are some things to consider:

Starting at the most general level, what about all the dreams that don't come true? You have hundreds of dreams in your life, maybe scores of recurring ones. Just statistically, it would be surprising if some of them didn't come true. One easy way to see this is by thinking about the most common thing people cite when they say they're psychic: sometimes you think about a particular person, and right after that the phone rings, and it's them. You've got to consider, though, how often you think about any other person, and how often you get phone calls from anyone at all. It's not too hard to see why it would be surprising if you didn't have a few coincidences. And sure enough, virtually everybody does.

Then you have to consider if there aren't certain factors that make a particular coincidence more likely. In the case of your school, is blue one of the school colors? Or maybe there's some reason your school looks particularly good in blue, so that both you and somebody else might think of it. Although it's not likely in this particular case, in general you'd have to consider whether you'd told somebody about the dream at some point and thus planted the idea in his mind. Conversely, you have to consider whether at somepoint you might have overheard somebody talking about painting the school blue and it planted the idea in your mind.