Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
Okay so I've decided to buy a mac mini for a family member for xmas.

My only concern is that they may release a much faster mac mini for the same price at macworld.

So here's the thing, according to the apple rep, all apple products purchased this time of year can be returned 14 days from xmas day, as opposed to 14 days from the purchase date. The macworld keynote is 13 days after xmas (jan. 6th).

So, could I buy it now, then return it on the 6th (if unopened) if they reveal a new one at macworld? Or do that specifically prohibit returns when an upgrade of the product has just been announced?

rpaloalto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
Palo Alto CA.
No when a new mac is released it has no baring on returns of current macs. 14 days is 14 days.
Why not just take the total mac mini purchase price including tax and put it on a gift card. Even if Apple introduces a new mini. They wont be available right away.
That way you can tell them the card is for a mini. But you want them to wait to see if a new one is released.

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
That's a good idea, I didn't know you could get gift cards that large

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I highly doubt they would prohibit you from returning it.
It is suspected that a the Mac Mini will have an upgrade and/or price drop.

Joe The Dragon

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2006
No when a new mac is released it has no baring on returns of current macs. 14 days is 14 days.
Why not just take the total mac mini purchase price including tax and put it on a gift card. Even if Apple introduces a new mini. They wont be available right away.
That way you can tell them the card is for a mini. But you want them to wait to see if a new one is released.

You may want to add a little more if apple wants to be a dick and may you pay $30 to use your dvi display as they may move to mini dp and not give you a free adapter or apple may do a mini tower as well.

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
That's a good idea, I didn't know you could get gift cards that large

From Apple's website:

What denominations are available? What are the maximum and minimum amounts available?
You can purchase cards online for any amount between $25 and $2500. There is no minimum or maximum dollar amount when you purchase a card at a retail Apple Store or by calling 1-800-MY-APPLE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.