Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AberFitch1220

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
I am about to set up my MacBook Pro with my new television so I can watch online shows, movies, and listen to music through my surround system. Currently, my television is set up to have its audio out connected to my surround sound. I was hoping that I could connect an audio in with the HDMI that would connect either directly to the surround sound or through the television into the surround sound. Both have the red and white connections. So, I was wondering how I could connect my MacBook from the one audio output and get it to the two audio inputs (either on my tv or surround sound system).

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
You'll need the optical output adapter from Apple. The standard red/white connections from your TV will only provide Dolby ProLogic surround sound (which is pretty poor), and not Dolby Digital or DTS (which is what you want). This would connect directly into your A/V receiver...

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
You'll need the optical output adapter from Apple. The standard red/white connections from your TV will only provide Dolby ProLogic surround sound (which is pretty poor), and not Dolby Digital or DTS (which is what you want). This would connect directly into your A/V receiver...

It should also be noted that only certian software programs playing bad DTS or Dolby encoded media will give you 5.1 out. Most digital media these days does not bother to try and retain the 5.1 audio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.