Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
no. just no.

Edit: OK, I was a little harsh. I just don't think Apple would ever design something like that in 2008-09.

orangeillini14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
no. just no.

Edit: OK, I was a little harsh. I just don't think Apple would ever design something like that in 2008-09.

No, I don't think either... it's pretty weird... but it's way out there, which is why I decided to share. :p

Bodine

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2007
It's strange... creative but strange and not something I can see Apple going with.

ManuelGnR

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2008
Netherlands
Being able to use the Mac Mini in like 4 (or 3) positions means 3 or 4 types of Mac Mini, because of the cool and hot air-stuff (hot air goes up), right?

I like the idea though. Curious what the new Mac Mini will look like..

rpaloalto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
Palo Alto CA.
Wait thats a joke right?
I mean I know its a mock up, but is it so posed to be funny? Or is this guy serious about his design. Being something he would like to see from Apple.
Does he work for microsoft r&d:D

iGrant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Ridgeway
I was always hoping the the new mac mini would just be the base of the old G4 iMacs, just a half sphere.

For some strange reason that is really appealing to me . . . .

-iGrant

Lamonster

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
PC's version :D

picture.php

theMaccer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
SoCal
That thing will need a big box to put itself into, which is not Apple's current packaging policy.:D

rpaloalto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
Palo Alto CA.
I always wished apple had done something like this:

g5sphere.jpg

I always that would be a neat computer!!!

-iGrant

Thats what what steve would want it to look like. Notice how much higher it is than anything else. In fact it looks like it would be higher than the users own head. It would be the centerpiece of anyones home. Almost like a shrine or object of worship. Being held up their on that great stand for all to see and marvel at:rolleyes:

Robby9279

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
no. just no.

that wasn't harsh at all, I think if that "thing" was released there would be some serious issues as far as people complaining about cosmetics go. And also, I'm pretty sure that it would tip over, the weight doesn't look nearly enough distributed in the back.

salanyali

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
I knew when I put the Apple logo on this design, I’d get some rough comments :) I’ll try to give some answers if I can.

First of all, I’m a huge Apple fan, I love them. And specially I’m not trying to copy or suggest a design. I’m not saying my design is better than the current Mac Mini design. I’ve been using my Mac Mini 7/24 for the last 5-6 years and as a very devoted customer I think I have the right to say what is right or what is wrong ‘for me’ with the actual design. With the Macworld coming up and the new mac mini rumors around, I thought, why not design my own kind of mac mini? It’d be fun! The whole process took approximately a week, because designing concept computers is not my job -it’s just for fun and learning- and If I’d spent 2-3 months and submitted the new mac mini design after the new one, it would be just cheating I’d be very very inspired after I saw the new one. So, yes, it’d be much much better If I’d spent more than a week on this concept, but it’s pretty detailed for a week’s job with all the price, size, dimensions, heating, etc. research.

The airflow had some bad comments, people asking me why I didn't put the fans at the bottom of the legs and dissipate the heat with vents from the top. It's a simple physics law, isn't it? But the thing most of these people aren't thinking is, this is a multi-positioned computer. And if you put fans on the legs, it wouldn't be 2 fans. It would be 4 or more fans! Because fans are circular shaped objects, the diameter of the fan should be smaller from the depth of the leg. And because the depth of the legs are so short, the fans would be ridiculously small! So one fan wouldn't be enough, there would be four fans, maybe more. And the most important part is, there are three, maybe more positions you can put a computer like this, and all of them are equally practical for their own purpose, and the airflow design is the best like this for all three positions, believe me I tried a lot :)

For the port reaching problem, the V shape has the advantage of putting your hand&fingers from both sides and especially ’seeing’ them while you plug-in the cables or sticks. If your desk arrangement doesn’t allow it, you can lift the front and see the ports. You can not do this with the actual design. With the actual mac mini, while it’s a great product, I can’t see the USB ports when I try to plug a usb device. I’d always have to check the direction of the port, the cable, feel the port, try to plug it. And because I’m a very tidy person, I don’t like the cable mess on or under my table so I hide them, tie them, then if I want to pull the mini a little bit closer, some cables unplug with the tension and I have a problem. With the ports facing front, this accident can not happen.

The packaging is in the video. It’s easy to manufacture, minimal and stackable.

I got some advice from some electronic and computer engineer friends and an Apple expert friend during the process. The HDMI port, the extra HDD, power brick inside, all of them are for pushing some limits and trying to be different. They could be done or not, if you like we can discuss it and we all would learn something. But don’t do the ‘this is crap, you idiot, this is useless, stupid, pointless design’ , please. I’d love to see more and more concepts about mac mini and learn from them.

The design is not totally Apple looking because I didn’t want it to be a total Apple copycat. If I made it boxed shaped, than a lot people say, the same old boring box shaped Apple design, so what’s new with you?

Again, it’s not ‘better’ than the current design. It’s ‘better for me’ than the current design. I spent lot and lots of hours on this, I wish people didn't spend 3 minutes and judge it without thinking all the details. It’s just a concept, a visual expression of my imagination and my experiences with the product. Thanks for all the comments… :)

bezerk3r86

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2008
I knew when I put the Apple logo on this design, I’d get some rough comments :) I’ll try to give some answers if I can.

First of all, I’m a huge Apple fan, I love them. And specially I’m not trying to copy or suggest a design. I’m not saying my design is better than the current Mac Mini design. I’ve been using my Mac Mini 7/24 for the last 5-6 years and as a very devoted customer I think I have the right to say what is right or what is wrong ‘for me’ with the actual design. With the Macworld coming up and the new mac mini rumors around, I thought, why not design my own kind of mac mini? It’d be fun! The whole process took approximately a week, because designing concept computers is not my job -it’s just for fun and learning- and If I’d spent 2-3 months and submitted the new mac mini design after the new one, it would be just cheating I’d be very very inspired after I saw the new one. So, yes, it’d be much much better If I’d spent more than a week on this concept, but it’s pretty detailed for a week’s job with all the price, size, dimensions, heating, etc. research.

The airflow had some bad comments, people asking me why I didn't put the fans at the bottom of the legs and dissipate the heat with vents from the top. It's a simple physics law, isn't it? But the thing most of these people aren't thinking is, this is a multi-positioned computer. And if you put fans on the legs, it wouldn't be 2 fans. It would be 4 or more fans! Because fans are circular shaped objects, the diameter of the fan should be smaller from the depth of the leg. And because the depth of the legs are so short, the fans would be ridiculously small! So one fan wouldn't be enough, there would be four fans, maybe more. And the most important part is, there are three, maybe more positions you can put a computer like this, and all of them are equally practical for their own purpose, and the airflow design is the best like this for all three positions, believe me I tried a lot :)

For the port reaching problem, the V shape has the advantage of putting your hand&fingers from both sides and especially ’seeing’ them while you plug-in the cables or sticks. If your desk arrangement doesn’t allow it, you can lift the front and see the ports. You can not do this with the actual design. With the actual mac mini, while it’s a great product, I can’t see the USB ports when I try to plug a usb device. I’d always have to check the direction of the port, the cable, feel the port, try to plug it. And because I’m a very tidy person, I don’t like the cable mess on or under my table so I hide them, tie them, then if I want to pull the mini a little bit closer, some cables unplug with the tension and I have a problem. With the ports facing front, this accident can not happen.

The packaging is in the video. It’s easy to manufacture, minimal and stackable.

I got some advice from some electronic and computer engineer friends and an Apple expert friend during the process. The HDMI port, the extra HDD, power brick inside, all of them are for pushing some limits and trying to be different. They could be done or not, if you like we can discuss it and we all would learn something. But don’t do the ‘this is crap, you idiot, this is useless, stupid, pointless design’ , please. I’d love to see more and more concepts about mac mini and learn from them.

The design is not totally Apple looking because I didn’t want it to be a total Apple copycat. If I made it boxed shaped, than a lot people say, the same old boring box shaped Apple design, so what’s new with you?

Again, it’s not ‘better’ than the current design. It’s ‘better for me’ than the current design. I spent lot and lots of hours on this, I wish people didn't spend 3 minutes and judge it without thinking all the details. It’s just a concept, a visual expression of my imagination and my experiences with the product. Thanks for all the comments… :)

It's true that we can't just dismiss someone's hard effort in creating a potential mock-up of the supposedly updated Mac minis. I did like how you considered the aesthetics in terms of heat flow and potential upgradability.

WE'll have to wait and see how th enew minis stack up to their looks and the specifications! I'm just as eager as everyone to know how much more powerful will they make them.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.