PDA

View Full Version : Firm [Logitech] makes one billionth mouse

edesignuk
Dec 3, 2008, 05:17 AM
A Silicon Valley company has hailed as a major landmark the production of their one billionth computer mouse.

Logitech's description comes at a time when analysts claim the days of the mouse are numbered.

"It's rare in human history that a billionth of anything has been shipped by one company," said Logitech's general manager Rory Dooley.

"Look at any other industry and it has never happened. This is a significant milestone," he told the BBC.

But sounding the death knell for the device is Gartner analyst Steve Prentice who said "the mouse will no longer be mainstream in three to five years."

However he did acknowledge the manufacture of the one billionth mouse was a "tremendous achievement." BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7751627.stm).

GSMiller
Dec 3, 2008, 06:04 AM
Only 5,700,000,000 to go until everyone on earth owns a Logitech!

I wonder if that includes all of the rebranded Logitech mice that ship with Dell's and the like?

Dagless
Dec 3, 2008, 06:06 AM
Awesome work Logitech :3
When it comes to mice I like Razer for their gaming pedigree, Microsoft for their build quality and Logitech for their technology.

Scarlet Fever
Dec 3, 2008, 06:30 AM
i like my MX Rev :D

velocityg4
Dec 3, 2008, 09:38 AM
Good for them. My MX310 is the best I have ever owned and have kept it through several computers. All of the painted symbols and logo are completely worn away.:D

I can not see the mouse being dead in five years either. Especially if the multi touch displays do not have better resistance to finger oils. I don't want to have to clean my screen 10 times a day or keep my fingers dipped in alcohol to keep smudges off the screen.

PlaceofDis
Dec 3, 2008, 09:41 AM
i'm not surprised. they have a lot of marketshare and mindset in the computer industry since they've been around awhile. and it doesn't hurt that they make some great mice either.

Grey Mouser
Dec 3, 2008, 09:44 AM
i'm not surprised. they have a lot of marketshare and mindset in the computer industry since they've been around awhile. and it doesn't hurt that they make some great mice either.

About time too, some of their previous offerings were farking terrible.

Dec 3, 2008, 02:26 PM
I definitely don't see the mouse going away in 3 to 5 years. These analysts really don't know what they are talking about. Touch screen desktops still have awhile to go before they really would become useful and even then it seems in concept they are flawed. Looking at technology now, there is only one mainstream touch screen desktop, the HP Touchsmart and I played around with one at Best Buy and it still has a long way to go before it would be useful, since it is slow and the touch screen doesn't work that well. The mouse is here to stay, at least in the close future.

Back on topic though, Logitech does make some nice mice, so I am not surprised that they have done so well.

Anonymous Freak
Dec 3, 2008, 11:24 PM
Look at any other industry and it has never happened. This is a significant milestone

Um, what?

I guarantee you companies have made more than ten billion nails, screws, nuts, bolts, etc...

A quick Google search for "billionth chip (http://www.google.com/search?q=billionth+chip)" reveals that many companies have produced over one billion chips. ARM has apparently shipped four billion this year alone. (They passed 6 billion in January, and just passed 10 billion within the past week.)

Nokia has shipped over one billion phones, Seagate has shipped over one billion hard drives (both rather more complex than computer mice,) Mattel has produced over one billion Hot Wheels, and on, and on...

Oh, and there are presently approximately 150 billion pennies in circulation.

sammich
Dec 3, 2008, 11:37 PM
ARM has apparently shipped four billion this year alone. (They passed 6 billion in January, and just passed 10 billion within the past week.).

ARM doesn't manufacture chips, it licences the technology to people who make it. Even still, all that licensing money must translate to a few bucks in the bank.

http://www.vegemite.com.au/vegemite/page?siteid=vegemite-prd&locale=auen1&PagecRef=749 (Vegimite's Billionth Jar)

As an aside...does the US Mint have stats on denominations printed/coined?