PDA

View Full Version : Are you a geek?

Beej
Jun 7, 2002, 06:38 AM
I know we have some geek-concious members here, myself included. Although I am a top-ten poster here, I am by no means your stereotypical geek. I'm just a normal guy who likes Macs :D

So, are you a geek?

Macmaniac
Jun 7, 2002, 06:47 AM
I'm borderline, I have over 500 posts and I can't stop talking about macs in school and at home so I am borderline.

Beej
Jun 7, 2002, 06:57 AM
Heh... I used to yell "it's a Mac!" every time a saw a Mac on the TV (or anywhere else, for that matter :)) I began to realise that made me seem like a geek, so I stopped...

Now all my friends and family point out Macs to me... I guess that's a good thing, having made everyone more aware that they are everywhere.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 07:13 AM
Geek, yes, no question about it. Thankfully I can handle myself acceptably in social situations, so I'm not a nerd.....

And post count isn't an indication of geekness, but it helps :D

spuncan
Jun 7, 2002, 07:21 AM
Depends on ur definition of geek. It seems like u guys r mainly talikng about geeks as in Macs. Which is appropriate but I consider myself a geek in general. (I like to play with electronics, programming, etc...)

Beej
Jun 7, 2002, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by spuncan
Depends on ur definition of geek.Nope. It depends on your definition of geek. If you think you're a geek, say 'yes.'

mac15
Jun 7, 2002, 07:36 AM
I still yell thats a mac when I see one on TV, so thats geeky nut my friends don't now about my nerdyness so I have like a secret identity

jefhatfield
Jun 7, 2002, 08:45 AM
geek and nerd

from what i have experienced, there is no difference

but everybody has a new definition of the terms these days...in the old days of computing, one could not be one without the other

god gave us all 100 points, and it is up to us how we spend them...a quote from a friend of mine who was accepted to the ivy league when he was 13

the reason why so many/most IT people don't have super social skills is because of the huge amount of time it takes to become proficient as a techie

if we spent our time being soc's, joining all sports teams, and being the big man or woman on campus, then our great investment of time in the social arena of human interaction would make us something other than a geek or a nerd

it is not a bad thing being tied to technology, but when one gets married, the spouse should be warned that 'puters is more than just a hobby...best advice i can give:p

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 08:54 AM
To me a geek is a techie who really likes what he does, can discuss it for hours and sound like an idiot to people who don't understand what he's talking about.

A nerd is a geek, but without the social skills to get along with other non geeks/nerds. Someone who is incapable of understanding why someone wouldn't know what Level 3 cache is, then launch into a lengthy discussion about its evolution in the modern day CPU, backed up with quick calculations to show performance level increases on the scientific calculator he wears on his belt in a little leather holster with a picture of JarJar stuck to it.

I am proud to be a geek, but don't ever call me a nerd.....:D

Ensign Paris
Jun 7, 2002, 08:56 AM
I hate the name 'Geek' it sound proper bad, to me the word spells untidyness and uncleanliness, dunno y.

I would consider myself a Techie cause that way I can remain non-geek.

Ensign

jefhatfield
Jun 7, 2002, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
To me a geek is a techie who really likes what he does, can discuss it for hours and sound like an idiot to people who don't understand what he's talking about.

A nerd is a geek, but without the social skills to get along with other non geeks/nerds. Someone who is incapable of understanding why someone wouldn't know what Level 3 cache is, then launch into a lengthy discussion about its evolution in the modern day CPU, backed up with quick calculations to show performance level increases on the scientific calculator he wears on his belt in a little leather holster with a picture of JarJar stuck to it.

I am proud to be a geek, but don't ever call me a nerd.....:D

i have noticed the geek acceptance movement a few years ago...since the dot.com brought computing into widespread acceptance...and that is when i noticed the kinder, gentler nerd we now call a geek

to me, it's a form of trying to make nerds look more normal calling them geeks (or nerds with social skills)

there are so many psuedo geeks out there now who realize that it is somehow ok and now for the first time, there are geeks who can't find the on switch on their computer...it is more of a fashion statement like being native american when many of today's native americans do not have one drop of native american blood in them...it is just a recent fashion statement more than anything else

i can't wait until the geek fad is over, so the true geeks and nerds can go back to computing and stop tying to be accepted or to convert someone to the the computer world

people are born geeks and nerds and it is just not something one can become...it is not a lifestyle choice, but an orientation

true geeks are nerds and the rest are current fashion statements

:p

britboy
Jun 7, 2002, 09:09 AM
Per duke's definition of the two terms, i'm probably borderline.

I love finding out all about things like the role and effectiveness of L3 cache, pipeline stages, bus bandwidth.... but realise that most other people couldn't care less, and would only get bored if i went into it in any depth.

jefhatfield
Jun 7, 2002, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Ensign Paris
I hate the name 'Geek' it sound proper bad, to me the word spells untidyness and uncleanliness, dunno y.

I would consider myself a Techie cause that way I can remain non-geek.

Ensign

geeks were originally freaks who bit the heads off of small animals for money and entertainment

i am properly a network technician or network engineer working towards being a network administrator and an IT consultant, but those are vague and pompous terms, so i like "techie" myself

people who don't like the term techie are most often posers who are rather into being the cio of an organization en route to being ceo and chairman of the board and are more into fake tanning booths, new and shiny cars, and botox treatments more than they are into technology

eyelikeart
Jun 7, 2002, 09:36 AM
I'm going to go with geek...

I know I get just way into discussing anything on websites with people whom I've never met & some I may never meet...

I know I get a bit into Macs & love giving friends ***** for their peecees (just certain one since I know it really bothers them ;))...

I've been called a geek my some of my friends....mainly because of this website...

I name my computers & toys...

lucky, though, that I have outside interests from this stuff... :D

oh...and I love using smilies wherever I can here to show my "happy go lucky" attitude...he he he ;)

iGav
Jun 7, 2002, 09:58 AM
Hmmmmmmm...... I like the sound of 'Geek'.... but I'm not sure if I'd consider myself one....... really I'm a Designer/Creative, so aslong as I can be creative then I'm pretty much happy.......

I'm certainly not a techie........ although I do have an interest in the technology behind Macs, ultimately I really don't care what the technology inside is, aslong as it allows me to do what I love.......... then I'm happy...... :) :) :)

eyelikeart
Jun 7, 2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by iGAV
Hmmmmmmm...... I like the sound of 'Geek'.... but I'm not sure if I'd consider myself one....... really I'm a Designer/Creative, so aslong as I can be creative then I'm pretty much happy.......

I hear u on that one...I am the same...

maybe the term "Renaissance Man" would be better fitting? ;)

Rower_CPU
Jun 7, 2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
and botox treatments …

Mmmm, rat poison.:rolleyes:

I'm definitely a geek, though jello' calls me a nerd.:rolleyes:

I love finding out what makes things work and what makes things break…and then making them work again.:D

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by iGAV
.. really I'm a Designer/Creative, so aslong as I can be creative then I'm pretty much happy.......

So I'm just curious, why don't you have an Avatar? Not that it matters:D

iGav
Jun 7, 2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

I hear u on that one...I am the same...

maybe the term "Renaissance Man" would be better fitting? ;)

heh heh... maybe..... ;)

I don't really have an interest in computers outside of Apple, but what I do love about Apple is that they consider user needs, and they consider the importance of aesthetics etc etc...... and combine it all in a 1 inch sandwich of Titanium, that has huge amounts of power and allows me to do what I do..... and for me this is incredible....... I love being creative.... to me it's one of the most important things in my life..... and to have such astounding machines makes my job far more pleasing...... as my machine becomes transparant, and allows me to do what I do, with minimal disruption....... and maximum creativity........ ;)

So I'm just curious, why don't you have an Avatar? Not that it matters

Because I'm a minimalist......... :D actually it's just because I've not had time to come up with one..... I have an exceptional amount of things going on in my life at the moment...... that everything has had to be prioritised..........

eyelikeart
Jun 7, 2002, 10:32 AM

So I'm just curious, why don't you have an Avatar? Not that it matters:D

he he he....looking for some more work?

oh...btw...still haven't been able to get those pics done...Heidi is one hard woman to get in touch with...:rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 10:36 AM

he he he....looking for some more work?

Hell no! I'm back logged as it is. I need to curb my MacRumors addiction some. But everytime I'm not online, I get this nagging feeling I'm missing something. I'll get over it and back into my work, hopefully sooner than later....:D :D

Rower_CPU
Jun 7, 2002, 10:42 AM
Hell no! I'm back logged as it is. I need to curb my MacRumors addiction some. But everytime I'm not online, I get this nagging feeling I'm missing something. I'll get over it and back into my work, hopefully sooner than later....:D :D

Don't you just hate it when work gets in the way of MacRumors...speaking of...
How're the icons coming?

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 10:52 AM
Icons, what icons...

ha, sorry,

I'll be playing with them this weekend, post them maybe on Sunday.

eyelikeart
Jun 7, 2002, 11:33 AM

ha ha ha!!! :D

I know how u feel...it's like..."hmm...I bet if I'm not online I'm going to miss out on some interesting conversation...maybe I'll just get on & make a few posts..." ;)

jefhatfield
Jun 7, 2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

I love finding out what makes things work and what makes things break…and then making them work again.:D

that is the fun of being into computers...if i was into being creative, i would not find the breaking down part fun...but since i just fix things, i consider it just another useful lesson

one can't learn too much about repairing and upgrading computers thru books or in school labs...real life breakdowns and crashes are the best tool to become a good techie

i know this extreme geek who wants to know everything about routers so he is willing to shell out countless thousands and set up a cisco wan...in the county where i live, there is only one true, full fledged wan in the county (granted, san jose to the north has hundreds of them), but this kid is either rich or crazy...but he really is smart, though

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by jefhatfield

that is the fun of being into computers...if i was into being creative, i would not find the breaking down part fun...but since i just fix things, i consider it just another useful lesson

now you're not showing your creativity there, your point I guess.

I'm artistic, creative AND interested in fixing, taking apart and figuring out how things work. The creative aspect is figuring out how to make them better....that's fun:D

eyelikeart
Jun 7, 2002, 01:46 PM
I must be a geek...

I'm posting to a discussion thread asking if I'm a geek! :eek: :D :rolleyes:

AlphaTech
Jun 7, 2002, 01:59 PM
As far as I know, I'm a geek, and PROUD of it damnit!!! :D Geeks not only have the social skills that the nerds lack, but we also get all the cool toys/tools too. Being a techie and a geek is like being the twice blessed man. :D Geeks can rip apart a computer, figure out what is wrong with it, get said replacement part, put it all back together and NOT have any screws left over. We also can switch gears and put things into terms that the non-technical masses can understand.

Nerds on the other hand give snorting chuckles while talking about programming. They also get 'excited' when talking about programming the same thing in three or more different languages.

teabgs
Jun 7, 2002, 02:14 PM
My name is teabgs, and I am a geek. ;)

Well, just look at my signature....I guess I'd have to say yes I am.

And I'm damn proud of it too! :p

britboy
Jun 7, 2002, 03:46 PM
I looked up the word 'geek' on the omniweb dictionary, and got a rather strange definition:

Originally, a `geek' was a carnival performer who bit the heads off
chickens. Before about 1990 usage of this term was rather negative.
Earlier versions of this lexicon defined a `computer geek' as one who
eats (computer) bugs for a living - an asocial, malodorous, pasty-faced
monomaniac with all the personality of a cheese grater. This is often
still the way geeks are regarded by non-geeks, but as the mainstream
culture becomes more dependent on technology and technical skill
mainstream attitudes have tended to shift towards grudging respect.
Correspondingly, there are now `geek pride' festivals (the implied
reference to `gay pride' is not accidental).

And to think some of you guys are organising a geek fest.... :D :D :D :rolleyes:

eyelikeart
Jun 7, 2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by britboy
And to think some of you guys are organising a geek fest.... :D :D :D :rolleyes:

yeah...well....u would come if u could...he he he ;)

no worries...there won't be too many of us geeks here anyway...

but we'll be sure post some pics up in the private section...he he he ;) :D :eek:

britboy
Jun 7, 2002, 04:46 PM

yeah...well....u would come if u could...he he he ;)

but we'll be sure post some pics up in the private section...he he he

True, true. We'll hopefully be holding a british variant if/when you come over this summer, complete with those green drinks (what were they called again?) you so love :)

I'll be looking forward to those pics! Is it going to be exclusively demi-gods/godesses there? Now that b2tm and his wife have paid up....

eyelikeart
Jun 7, 2002, 04:48 PM

True, true. We'll hopefully be holding a british variant if/when you come over this summer, complete with those green drinks (what were they called again?) you so love :)

I'll be looking forward to those pics! Is it going to be exclusively demi-gods/godesses there? Now that b2tm and his wife have paid up....

oh...u mean the green stuff....right...
I'm not sure if I'm going to make it this summer...but I'm in the process of possibly planning a Summer 2003 tour...;)

we still don't know who all is coming for sure...only gotten 2 RSVPs in the thread...I will have to email a few people to get their attention to it...he he he :D

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 05:03 PM
I just want to see someone actually bite the head off a chicken, ewww.

I'm not sticking that in my mouth.

It is weird to see how the word has changed in meaning. What's the definition of nerd - from the same reference?

britboy
Jun 7, 2002, 05:05 PM
'Nerd' is pretty boring actually.

"a student who studies excessively"

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 05:08 PM
'Nerd' is pretty boring actually.

"a student who studies excessively"

That's silly. It makes nerds out to be better than geeks, which I don't feel is right at all.

britboy
Jun 7, 2002, 05:12 PM
A different dictionary gave a more interesting answer. It said that nerd might be derived from knurd - drunk written backwards.

I agree though, geeks are much better than nerds! I'm a geek, and proud of it. If someone called me a nerd, i'd be hurt :D