PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding iPhone enterprise developer program

micromajig
Dec 3, 2008, 09:41 AM
Hi,
I have few questions regarding the iPhone enterprise developer program as it is quite difficult to find answers to all troubling questions. So if there is any enterprise iPhone developer willing to help it is much appreciated. All questions are related to applications not available widely in AppStore but those developed under the enterprise program.

1. Is it possible, or in other words is it not prohibited by Apple's dev license for a company to create application that is distributed to that company's customers. By distributed we mean free of charge so no selling behind back of Apple included. The important thing is that these apps are not available to public but only to the company's customers only.

2. As we are distributing the non-AppStore application as a pair of: application bundle and distribution provisioning profile do we have the possibility to personalize the application per customer. What I see the best way to perform it is not to mess with the source code of the application itself but maybe to include for example some encrypted data identifying the customer. So my question is about such possibility to include some custom data into the distribution provisioning profile that is then read by the application?

3. have many questions related to the mentioned distribution provisioning profile.
- How it is created?
- Is it created per application or can it be created per instance of provided application (hence my personalization question)?
- Is there a possibility to automatize the process of providing those profiles?
- How closely is the app bundle and the profile bound together? Can we alter some custom data inside profile and will it be valid with the same untouched generic application?

4. From what I have read in the "Enterprise Deployment Guide" (as I'm not signed to any developer program I think that it is the only document where I could find any sensible informations related to the mysteries of enterprise program) we have two ways of distributing those in-house applications: either via iPhone configuration utility or via iTunes. Is there no possibility for user to download and install the application from a link sent in an email, or any other way?

Thanks in advance for any valuable bits of information on that matter.

crazy4beatz
Feb 23, 2010, 02:42 PM
hello micromajig,

were you ever able to obtain answers to your questions?
i am starting to work as an enterprise developer and am looking for answers to your questions also.

thanks!