Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
So I'm very happy with this machine. However I do have few issues with it overall.

The battery cover is very loose and I'm afraid it will get worse as time progresses since I change batteries at least twice a day. I also noticed that the glass trackpad is slightly chipped on one edge—very small, but visually noticeable. Also the thin aluminium over the ethernet, mine is actually dipped down a bit; it doesn't obstruct anything, but I can see the dipping if I inspect it.

None of these really affect performance or usability. Mainly the reason I'm so hesitant is:
1) Good 9C84 panel with no bleed and stuff
2) Good keyboard without any crooked keys
3) Quiet and isn't overheating.
4) Battery is good so far; 20 cycles and still 100%. That sounds like nothing but with my luck I usually get like 90% with 5 cycles.

Should I go swap it? I have til Monday to do it.

Regards.

(I'm not putting up a poll because I'd rather get responses).

LemmycautioN

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2008
Seattle
Well I have had 3 or 4 MBP's all with the defects you were mentioning (bleed, crooked keys, and more). The loose battery panel could possible be fixed easily, if it's the panel and not the unibody piece, but the dipping down near the ethernet, is that on the unibody part or the bottom panel? If it's the bottom panel then that could be replaced easily - or even bent physically. The chip could be annoying but if you use one of those trackpad covers that you've used on your other laptops it might cover up the chip a little. (I would trade any of my MBP's for one with only a tiny chip; assuming that the other defects could be fixed easily)

hitman45400

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2008
well, if you ever want to sell it, you would have to sell less for the imperfections.
if i were you i would trade it, you shouldn't pay for something from apple less then perfect, especially with the battery cover. If the next one has more problems, i would change it out until it was perfect.
hope this helps.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Well the Ethernet port deformation is on the unibody top case.

I'm just afraid if I do swap I will get a lesser unit which would mean I would have to keep swapping and I just don't like doing that.

To be honest, I want to do a swap, but I'm on the fence and not sure how to jump.

Ampidire

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
WA
Just keep swapping until you're satisfied, do it in the store even, inspect the one they give you, keep asking until you get a good one.

You won't be able to check the panel, but a side by side should reveal the differences if you've already got a 9C84 to compare with

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
Keep it but go in and see if you can swap the battery cover for one that fits better. At that point you'll be good to go, the other 2 pts you mentioned don't affect anything so it isn't worth giving up a solid machine.

cg165

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
So I'm very happy with this machine. However I do have few issues with it overall.

The battery cover is very loose and I'm afraid it will get worse as time progresses since I change batteries at least twice a day. I also noticed that the glass trackpad is slightly chipped on one edge—very small, but visually noticeable. Also the thin aluminium over the ethernet, mine is actually dipped down a bit; it doesn't obstruct anything, but I can see the dipping if I inspect it.

None of these really affect performance or usability. Mainly the reason I'm so hesitant is:
1) Good 9C84 panel with no bleed and stuff
2) Good keyboard without any crooked keys
3) Quiet and isn't overheating.
4) Battery is good so far; 20 cycles and still 100%. That sounds like nothing but with my luck I usually get like 90% with 5 cycles.

Should I go swap it? I have til Monday to do it.

Regards.

(I'm not putting up a poll because I'd rather get responses).

Get to a store if you can and trade it until they give you one you're happy with. I would tell them you want to keep the same batteries and ask them to swap the hard drive so you basically have the same machine (fixed at least). Good luck.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Keep it but go in and see if you can swap the battery cover for one that fits better. At that point you'll be good to go, the other 2 pts you mentioned don't affect anything so it isn't worth giving up a solid machine.

I tried that already; they told it was factory spec.

LemmycautioN

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2008
Seattle
Well the Ethernet port deformation is on the unibody top case.

I'm just afraid if I do swap I will get a lesser unit which would mean I would have to keep swapping and I just don't like doing that.

To be honest, I want to do a swap, but I'm on the fence and not sure how to jump.

You should set your desktop background to solid black, crank up the brightness, minimize the dock, and sit in a pitch black room. If you don't have any backlight bleed I would keep it, I haven't seen 1 unibody MBP without significant backlight bleed :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.