PDA

View Full Version : Want to make beats

derek1984
Dec 3, 2008, 09:58 PM
I've never owned a Mac before but I plan on buying a Macbook Pro next Spring. Basically, I would like to have a program where I can make beats. I don't plan on using any real insturments, I just would like something where I could possibly make instrumental songs without using "real" instruments plugged into the computer. Would Garageband just do for something like that? Or would buying Logic Express 8 be something even better for what I am looking to do? I'm trying to do as much research that I can do before I purchase my Macbook Pro. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Mattaut
Dec 4, 2008, 02:10 PM
I would just start with garageband, plenty of different instruments and effects for someone who is just starting to get into music composition. The UI is pretty easy to get a hold of too. If you jump straight into Logic you will probably be overwhelmed by all the **** you can do especially since you are a new mac user and it sounds like you don't have a whole lot of experience in audio engineering and musical composition. I can't really go into Logic that much as I have barely ever used it though I will be getting a copy next week from school so I'll give you some more info next week if I can remember.

Also, you said you're not getting you mac until next spring. I don't think you should worry about upgrading your software at least until you actually have it.

jayeskreezy
Dec 7, 2008, 12:45 AM
I've never owned a Mac before but I plan on buying a Macbook Pro next Spring. Basically, I would like to have a program where I can make beats. I don't plan on using any real insturments, I just would like something where I could possibly make instrumental songs without using "real" instruments plugged into the computer. Would Garageband just do for something like that? Or would buying Logic Express 8 be something even better for what I am looking to do? I'm trying to do as much research that I can do before I purchase my Macbook Pro. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Have you considered a previous gen macbook with the 2.4ghz processor? includes firewire and will save you a chunk of $$$

tuneup
Dec 15, 2008, 12:31 PM
I aggree with Mattaut. Garageband is a great place to start. the UI (as matt explained) is SUPER easy to use. You may also want to try reason as well. I use that to make beats and it is super easy to work with. Really intuitive. Have you done any recording before?