Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A.Jai

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
Denver, CO
So I am considering buying a new 15.4 MPB to replace my current 17" MBP. I am a graphic designer so I don't want to loose resolution so I am thinking I might buy a good external monitor that has a high resolution for work. I read somewhere that you can't output a resolution higher then what your laptop has, but that doesn't make sense. If that was the case why would people buy bigger better external monitors? Is there some sort of adapter you need to buy to make this work?

THANKS!

Warranty Voider

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
Maine, US
So I am considering buying a new 15.4 MPB to replace my current 17" MBP. I am a graphic designer so I don't want to loose resolution so I am thinking I might buy a good external monitor that has a high resolution for work. I read somewhere that you can't output a resolution higher then what your laptop has, but that doesn't make sense. If that was the case why would people buy bigger better external monitors? Is there some sort of adapter you need to buy to make this work?

THANKS!

You can display higher resolutions than what your laptop is natively. It would be stupid if you couldn't.

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
You have 2 options when it comes to an external display. You can mirror the internal. This is where the resolution has to be the same on both and will default to the smaller of the two. You can also extend the desktop. This allows both screens to use their max resolution.

A.Jai

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
Denver, CO
Thank you!:p

You have 2 options when it comes to an external display. You can mirror the internal. This is where the resolution has to be the same on both and will default to the smaller of the two. You can also extend the desktop. This allows both screens to use their max resolution.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
The newer late-08 MBPs uses Min-DisplayPort so be ready to fork over some bucks for the required adapters. You're MBP you got now can drive a 30" display as it has the dual dvi support right out of the box. Too bad the same can't be said for the newer MBPs and requires a $100 clunky dual link dvi adapter and plus it uses up a USB port for power.

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
When I see a thread title like this .. I just have to look to see how stupid the question actually is. This seems like a reasonable question to me. I hope to buy a 24' monitor for my MBP (late 08) near the beginning of the summer.

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.