Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brewstar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
heres whats up:

I got a new aluminum hard drive the first day they were in stores. Everything was working fine until I realized some slanted keys and that the mouse was having some clicking issues. I had a genius bar appointment and they said the mouse issue would be fixed via sw update but they did an in store replacement to address the tilted keyboard issue.

I get the new computer back from the store (they needed to keep it overnight to do the migration) and I notice my new computer has the tilted key problem, but it wasn't a big enough deal for me to complain about... The next week, the hard drive fails and they can't get the computer to get past the boot screen. Not only is all my data gone, but, they said they needed to keep the computer until the new hard drive comes in; its been four days so far (they said three days at the latest).

I forgot to bring up the slanted keys because I was consumed with the thoughts of all of my data disappearing, but when I called in to tell them about it, they said that they didn't seem more tilted then normal and it didn't warrant a repair (all said in a snarky tone..)

So now I'm stuck waiting until the new part comes in, and i'm pissed because the computer was a brand new replacement and it broke three weeks later, not to mention my data being lost and having to wait 4+ days to get a new computer.

what should I do about this? any thoughts?

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
You really just have two options. Either you wait until they fix the problem, or ask for a refund. Tell them you have to have a computer. Consider buying something else like the MBA, MBP or something not from Apple.

brewstar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
You really just have two options. Either you wait until they fix the problem, or ask for a refund. Tell them you have to have a computer. Consider buying something else like the MBA, MBP or something not from Apple.

hmm i really want a refund but I'm out of the return window by a week. How likely is it that I could get a refund? any tips? i'm going to the apple store in an hour.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Ask for the manager, calmly explain your frustration. Tell him that you heard so much good things about Apple, and yet your experience has been very disappointing so far.

Reason with him that you understand electronics do break down, and you have waited patiently for the repair. But the problems kept coming one after another, all within the very short time of owing this MB.

Finally, explain to him that you really cannot afford any more downtime (make up a good excuse like you're going to fail a course or lose a job), and you must get a working computer today. Then sincerely ask to see if there's anything he can do. See what he said, and hope for the best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.