PDA

View Full Version : Is Rev B Worth $500 more?




Kan-O-Z
Dec 4, 2008, 08:05 AM
I placed an order for a 1.6 Rev B at MacMall for $1649 on cyber Mon. They have the 1.6 Rev A for $1149. The problem is that Rev B is on back order. They said it'll be a few weeks but couldn't give me any further details. So at the moment I have the option of switching my order to Rev A, getting it within a few days instead of a few weeks and save $500 in the process. So what would you do?

The wait does bother me but not enough to really sway me because I know I'll have this machine for a few years and I'm willing to wait an extra 2-3 weeks if it's the right choice. This wait just gives me the chance to change my mind though ;)

Here is what swayed me to Rev B. initially:

Current advantages:
-Heat problems much better
-Extra 120GB makes it more usable for me although I could get by with the 80GB
-Should be a little bit faster because of faster Bus, faster RAM and more cache
-4 finger gesture support

Future advantages:
-nVidia video is very nice and although I probably won't use it for much with Leopard but I think Snow Leopard will take advantage of it more making it overall a faster machine
-Might be easier to upgrade the HDD later to SSD when they become cheaper because it uses SATA. I would at least think the current 128 SSD will drop to the $200 range in another year which will be nice.
-4 finger support might enable more gestures in Snow Leopard

So what do you all think? Forego this stuff and save $500 and call it a day with Rev A or wait it out for a few weeks for Rev B?

Kan-O-Z



6SSD4
Dec 4, 2008, 09:07 AM
I just want to mention that you on Macmall can get 64GB SSD for $1599.

Good luck on your choise.

justit
Dec 4, 2008, 09:43 AM
I know I'll have this machine for a few years

IMHO I don't compromise on purchases that last several years as I don't want to be thinking of coulda-shoulda-woulda.

Kan-O-Z
Dec 4, 2008, 10:18 AM
I just want to mention that you on Macmall can get 64GB SSD for $1599.

Good luck on your choise.

I thought about this but here's my problem with the 64GB one. It's way too small. On top of that, the 64 GB SSD isn't as fast as the current 128GB SSD making it less desirable. SSDs as great as they are....are still overpriced and are maturing in technology rapidly. I think in one year we will be seeing the 128SSD that's out now for around $200...and it might even be faster.

What I would like to do is in a year perhaps pop in that 128SSD for $200 and I'll basically end up with a Rev B(with all it's advantages) with an SSD for a grand total of $1849($1649+$200) which I will ultimately be very happy with in both price and performance. Until then, the 120GB HDD should do decent and it'll hold everything I need it to. Even after spending the money to upgrade to SSD in a year, I'll basically have the $2400 Air that's out now for $500 cheaper.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Rev A can't be upgraded to Rev B but the HDD on Rev B can be upgraded SSD. Of course I am making many assumptions here but I don't think they're too far fetched ;)

The route I am taking is a bit more 'futureproof' if you will but then again that cheap Rev A is enticing :)

Kan-O-Z

silverblack
Dec 4, 2008, 10:26 AM
If you are considering Rev A, don't buy from Apple. Get it used, many people are selling their Rev A to get the Rev B. You can save much more than $500.

If I were you, I'd go for Rev B for sure.

EDIT: I agree with 2nd post below. The Rev A is pretty much a dead end when it comes to HDD upgrade. PATA 1.8" drives are so rare (i.e., expensive even if you are lucky to find one).

Ironic
Dec 4, 2008, 10:29 AM
I think so, some people ask if the extar money is worth it on a SSD drive, again I have to say YES!( some say the 128G SSD is to small I store my files other places and its perfect)

justit
Dec 4, 2008, 10:29 AM
Of course I am making many assumptions here but I don't think they're too far fetched ;)
Kan-O-Z

REV B is SATA which is where most SSD is being built vs PATA on the REV A. It's the thinness and connector that you have to watch out for.

GoCubsGo
Dec 4, 2008, 11:31 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I think so, some people ask if the extar money is worth it on a SSD drive, again I have to say YES!( some say the 128G SSD is to small I store my files other places and its perfect)

You're referring to a model the op is not even in the market for. WTF is the point? I know you're a fanboi and all but the op is asking if the rev a hdd model is worth getting over the rev b hdd model.

The rev b hdd does not exist as of yet. Macmall can't tell you why because Apple has been tight lipped about it. The rev a hdd model has been known to have core shutdown issues. If you're mechanically inclined you can take it apart and reapply the thermal paste, which should really help the heat issues. Otherwise you can wait for an unspecified amount of time for your rev b hdd to shIp from a resller. Fact is if Apple quotes 2-3 weeks how long do you think macmall will take? Keep in mind I am fairly certain we won't see many (if any) hdd rev b's in before Christmas.

queshy
Dec 4, 2008, 03:02 PM
People who care about latest and greatest should get Rev B but for what I do, the rev A is fine for me...