Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which game do you like the best?

• Tap Defense

Votes: 45 32.1%
  • Fieldrunners

Votes: 89 63.6%
  • Other Tower Defense game

Votes: 6 4.3%

• Total voters

CoBPEZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
I bought Fieldrunners (I'll write FR in this post) yesterday since lots of people recommend it and Tap Defense (TD) wet my appetite for Tower defense strategy gaming.

But for me Fieldrunners was a disappointment. Yes, it has nice graphics and it's an OK game. But it doesn't come close to the fun provided by Tap Defense. TD has more and much more interesting Tower types and its system with interest on your spare gold is brilliant. Further, in FR your enemies sometimes look like small kids and they also sound like that when they die. It doesn't feel good at all. Killing creatures from Hell is an excellent alternative.

TD lets the enemies run along a path. In FR they move freely. Since FR isn't fun enough I'll probably not spend enough time with it to decide which type of field is more fun. I think I would have liked a combination. Or a path that divides at some points. Choking one branch might make the enemies to choose the other.

I also like that TD makes a pause between the rounds and also gives some info on what's coming and sometimes some advice. It gives me a much better feeling of that I'm in control than FR's constant flow of enemies.

FR has a more polished user interface. I'll give it that. But then it's a simpler game so maybe it's easier to make a slick interface then.

If you're playing TD and haven't gotten enough of it yet, save your $4.99 a while before buying FR. I think the developers behind TD can be trusted to make more really good games. They seem to have what it takes to figure out what makes a game fun. Now, if they could hire the graphics designer from the FR team it would make a perfect match!

NinjaMonkey

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
I feel just the opposite. I like the ability to control what path the runners take in Fieldrunners. It seems like there is a bit more strategy involved and more offers more replay value. Also the theme of Tap Defense is a little cheesy, actually very cheesy.

I'm not saying Tap Defense is bad, but it needs more work.

Fieldrunners is well worth the $4.99 and the developer has already promised new towers in the 1.2 update.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
I feel just the opposite. I like the ability to control what path the runners take in Fieldrunners. It seems like there is a bit more strategy involved and more offers more replay value. Also the theme of Tap Defense is a little cheesy, actually very cheesy.

Fieldrunners is well worth the $4.99 and the developer has already promised new towers in the 1.2 update.

+1

The tower defense games with set paths seem to be too easy to me as they almost give away the strategy needed to defeat them. Plus Fieldrunners is made by a game studio founded by a baseball pitcher (Curt Schilling) so it gets extra street cred just for that!

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe

I agree. It isn't close. FR is a lot better in all aspects. The other one is free though which is nice. I have both and like both of them, but FR takes more skill and the graphics are really nice.

I can see how someone new to these type of games would prefer the other one though. FR takes a lot more skill like I said. I would suggest someone new to this type of game to get Tap Defense and if they like that one then get the best one: Fieldrunners.

PhaserFuzz

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2007
Fieldrunners hands down. Much more polished and original. Constructing clever mazes for the runners to go through is half the fun.

Ashyukun

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
I tried out Tap Defense first since I'd never played a tower defense game before and enjoyed it, but picked up Fieldrunners when I had some issues with Tap Defense not wanting to load up (as well as it being highly recommended by several friends), and I've definitely been enjoying Fieldrunners more. I think it will be even more fun when there are more towers added, but as it is I'm still enjoying it immensely.

CoBPEZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
That's interesting. I've given Fieldrunners some more time now and I still think it's a bit too shallow for me. Tap Defense is more varied. It's not just more Towers. It's also how you gain access to them using those halos. Added to the interest piece it gives depth with the strategic use of your gold and your halos. And TD varies the enemies better. They don't come evenly spaced out and, using Ice and Water they don't run at an even pace either. There can be a "school" of creatures moving slowly and then some fast runners that escapes the Ice.

I also find Fieldrunners more open to cheesy tactics. Like if your build a maze and wait for the hords to pass a certain point, then you sell the Tower at that point the enemies turn back then you put a tower back and the enemies turn again. Repeat. It keeps the enemies from advancing. Is this "by design" you think?

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
That's interesting. I've given Fieldrunners some more time now and I still think it's a bit too shallow for me. Tap Defense is more varied. It's not just more Towers. It's also how you gain access to them using those halos. Added to the interest piece it gives depth with the strategic use of your gold and your halos. And TD varies the enemies better. They don't come evenly spaced out and, using Ice and Water they don't run at an even pace either. There can be a "school" of creatures moving slowly and then some fast runners that escapes the Ice.

I also find Fieldrunners more open to cheesy tactics. Like if your build a maze and wait for the hords to pass a certain point, then you sell the Tower at that point the enemies turn back then you put a tower back and the enemies turn again. Repeat. It keeps the enemies from advancing. Is this "by design" you think?

I'm not trying to cause a fight and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I find it odd you are new here and all of your posts has been in 2 threads about how great Tap Defense is. Are you the developer?

Both are nice apps like I said. I just think Fieldrunners is better right now, but the other one has a ton of potential.

CoBPEZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
Haha, no, I'm not the developer. Wish I were though. I found this forum (the other thread) when Googling for info on Tap Defense. That's why my usage pattern look a bit funny I guess. And since people were recommending Fieldrunners I tried that too and found that a comparison was in place.

I think Fieldrunners has lots of potential. Tap Defense can be tuned to provide more replayability and as many people note, it could use some nicer graphics. Fieldrunners is so beautiful I want to lick it. =)

tokyoblue

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2008
+1 for tap defense

My coworkers and I really got into Tap Defense so I bought Field Runners. I feel the same way as the poster. I like the path set-up much better and the theme in Tap Defense is also more interesting IMO. If Field Runners added a path option, more weapons and a wider variety of enemies it would be awesome IMO, but right now I find it kind of boring. I'm new to this type of game, but my coworker showed me one on the net that let's you build different weapons combos by linking different towers together. That would be a nice function if added to FR. IMO, the game needs more depth.

If you are a bid TD fan, make sure you understand that FRs open approach makes for a big difference in the style of game play. Many people seem to love it, but if, like me, you like the path approach, you might be disappointed.

Also, TD has a lot of short comings as well, but I'll save that for another topic.

rocky19713

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2008
I am a fan of both games.

However, addictinggames usually has pre-determined path versions so I am more accustomed to those.

CoBPEZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
If you are a bid TD fan, make sure you understand that FRs open approach makes for a big difference in the style of game play. Many people seem to love it, but if, like me, you like the path approach, you might be disappointed.

Yes, I think it might be a preference thing for some of us. Having played FR some more I have noticed that it does start to vary the enemy assaults some after a while, so you should also not judge FR too quickly. But then again, TD:s higher pace suits me. 43 short levels is more fun than 100 long ones for some reason (for me).

I'd like to get some help enjoying FR. =) Seriously, if some FR fans could be a bit more specific about what makes the game fun, then maybe I can explore it that way some more. Someone suggested FR takes more skill to enjoy. It sure takes more patience. I tend to like Arcade-style gaming so new games gets just a short window to prove their worth to me unless someone helps me open my eyes quicker.

tapdeftips.com

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2008
Thanks for good words.

CoBPEZ:
All just criticize other's works while doing nothing to help.

We will post today full Medium Levels' tips and tricks.
Stay tuned!

mackpro

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
Indiana University
I don't see how anyone could favor Tap Defense over Fieldrunners.

Fieldrunners is the best video game ever.
Not really, but it is a great iPhone app an is certainly far superior to TapD

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
IMO i like fieldrunners better, it requires more thinking and skills to play the game. unllike tapdefense which has a fixed path. field runners offers you the ability to make your own path which i find more appealing

they are both games and i enjoy both, but overall i'd go with field runners

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Field Runners is really close to being great, but it simply needs more variety. More enemies, more levels, and especially more towers. I've been playing tower defense games in WC3 for years, and there are a ton of TDs better than Field Runners... Unfortunately, they're not portable.

I might like Besiegement the best of the iPhone games, but it's not perfect either.

CoBPEZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
I don't see how anyone could favor Tap Defense over Fieldrunners.

Fieldrunners grows on you. Grasslands is a bit plain, maybe, but still fun to play and Crossroads gives you quite a lot variety. But Tap D:s interest and research gives the game depth. I still hold TD as my favourite. I like the story telling and the feel of working for the good guys.

CoBPEZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
I was able to somewhat master tap defense after reading up on the important Tap Defense tips. I hope fieldrunners will a bit more challenging, especially for the 5 bucks.

Fieldrunners is more challenging, don't worry. But if you want a challenge I don't understand why you rely on online tips resources. Give Fieldrunners a go without browsing for online tips and you should be in for a real challenge, guaranteed.

Interesting guide you linked to anyway. Even if I don't really like when people say things like "the only way to..." as that guide does when saying you must avoid arrow towers. Tap Defense is much deeper than that. Check out this walkthrough and you'll see how wrong that advice is.

Kafling

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2008
One more vote for Tap-Defense

After 6-7 games on fieldrunner I must say, that i like Tap Defense a lot better. Especially the endless waiting in FR when slow vehicles with a lot of HP enters a long tower-filled trail - it really gets boooring.

Jon

coldwarx

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2008
I think I want a fast-forward button for those situations.

i think this argument is irrelevant now that 7 cities just came out. HAHAHA.
i only got into tower defense kinds of games now (even though i was playing it on flash like 5 year ago and didn't realize it).

7 cities as the polished quality look and the reply value. any game with this much depth should be mentioned when comparing other games (i own tap defense and field runners).... haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.