Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Hello all,

I have a rev A Macbook which is out of warranty. The superdrive died some time ago but now the hard drive has gone too. So I need to install OSX somehow.

I'm planning on buying an external optical drive, unless there is some other way.(???) Is it possible to hook up another Macbook and use its superdrive? Or does anyone have any ideas that might be worth a try?

Thank you in advance,

JJJ

misterredman

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2007
Is it possible to hook up another Macbook and use its superdrive?

Yes it is, you can use the optical drive of another macbook that is in target disc mode. You will need to put the macbook in target disc mode (the one with the working optical drive) and connect it with firewire to your macbook. Insert the install discs in the macbook which is in target disc mode. When starting up your macbook hold down the usual option key and select the install discs.

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Yes it is, you can use the optical drive of another macbook that is in target disc mode. You will need to put the macbook in target disc mode (the one with the working optical drive) and connect it with firewire to your macbook. Insert the install discs in the macbook which is in target disc mode. When starting up your macbook hold down the usual option key and select the install discs.

Great, thank you so much!

Cheers,

JJJ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.