Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Toronto
So I purchased Air Cam Live Video (video home surveillance app, also with audio on a Mac) for $7.99 from the App store, and despite my best efforts there is nothing I can do to get this working remotely.

If I'm within range of my MacBook Pro, it's great, with the iPhone 3G on the same network it works flawlessly.

But it is also supposed to work by entering the computer's IP address. You have to open up a port on the router, which I've done; you enter the IP address in the router's setup page and forward a port there. I have a somewhat complicated system: Sympatico DSL to D-Link wired router to Apple Time Capsule to various Macs. And I'm taking into account that the IP is dynamic and changes so I update it when necessary for each attempt.

But using the IP address of the router doesn't work; using the assigned IPs (192.xxx.x.xxx etc.) of the Time Capsule, and the computer, doesn't work.

I have sought support from the software's creators but they haven't solved this.

So I tried hooking up the MacBook Pro directly to the router by ethernet; an IP address still gets assigned, but neither that nor the router/computer's IP address gets Air Cam working remotely.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=291400621&mt=8

Air Cam said:
Air Cam lets you view live video feed (and optionally, audio) from your iSight webcam (or any compatible external webcam) for Mac or Windows directly on your iPhone/iPod Touch using your home Wi-Fi networks.

Need to have a baby monitor or a nanny cam? Set up your iSight webcam in the baby’s bedroom, and remotely check up on your baby with your iPhone/iPod Touch without stepping into the room.

Ever wonder what your cats or dogs are doing when you are not there? Use Air Cam to remotely monitor them, while you are in another room. Why limiting to your pets; do it to your roommates too.

When hooked up with an external webcam, you can even turn Air Cam into a home surveillance system. Simply point your webcam to the location you want to monitor, and receive live video feed on your iPhone/iPod Touch.

FEATURES:

* Continuous video and audio feed (current Windows version has no audio support; this will be added in future update).
* Compatible with most internal and external USB webcams.
* Support multiple webcam connections.
* Volume, frame rate and sync control directly from your device.
* Support streaming over Edge/3G with port forwarding.
* Support both Mac and Windows.
* Free future update for life.

** IMPORTANT: To ensure your webcam is compatible, please download and install our Mac or Windows software first. Make sure the software works correctly on your system BEFORE purchasing Air Cam on iTunes.

Software download site is: http://www.senstic.com/iphone/aircam/aircam.aspx

Please read carefully of the following requirement before purchasing Air Cam:

1.A desktop or laptop running Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard (previous OS X versions are not yet supported) or Windows XP/Vista with compatible internal or external webcam.

2.A shared Wi-Fi network between your Mac computer and your iPhone/iPod Touch. Air Cam also works with Edge or 3G networks with port forwarding of TCP port 1726.

3.Download and run the free Mac or Windows software from http://www.senstic.com/iphone/aircam/aircam.aspx to stream your video feed.

picture-3.png

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
My first step in troubleshooting remote connection issues is always to visit http://whatismyip.com on the target computer to verify the external IP address to use. Then to test that the port is open you can attempt to telnet to that port from another PC or your iPhone over 3G if you have one of the telnet clients installed.

If you can access the port internally but not externally then that indicates some sort of problem with your network setup, unless the app has some filtering in place to only allow local traffic, although I doubt that.

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Toronto
Thanks for your post.

I can hook up wirelessly, which I assume either goes through my Time Capsule wireless router or directly between the MacBook Pro and iPhone 3G.

What I can't do is hook up via 3G, remotely.

So I enter the external whatsmyipadress IP address in the Air Cam app; and I forward the right port to the MacBook's IP, the 192.168.etc.xxx IP. But nothing.

I've tried connecting directly to the D-Link via ethernet (cutting out the Time Capsule and wireless that are usually in between) but still nothing.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Where are you doing the port forwarding? I would say you need to first do the port forward on the D-link to your Time Capsule and then forward to your Macbook from there.

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Toronto
Where are you doing the port forwarding? I would say you need to first do the port forward on the D-link to your Time Capsule and then forward to your Macbook from there.

That's an interesting point.

I use the PC attached to the D-Link to port forward that.

I can try portforwarding the Time Capsule also.

I looked up "portforward Time Capsule" and found this interesting page:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1441185&tstart=0

I'll check the settings therein.

And this page:

http://must-know-mac.blogspot.com/2008/07/how-to-port-forward-time-capsule.html

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Toronto
Even though I simplified my setup, this is still a no go.

Sympatico DSL > Apple Time Capsule > (wireless) MacBook Pro

Air Cam works fine over wireless, but that isn't really the point of it. I still can't get it to work using my iPhone 3G over 3G.

The Senstic web help has tried, but I still have a stumbling block. I enable NAT using Airport Utility, but I get a conflict in the port/sharing address.

extralarge

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2008
Even though I simplified my setup, this is still a no go.

Sympatico DSL > Apple Time Capsule > (wireless) MacBook Pro

Air Cam works fine over wireless, but that isn't really the point of it. I still can't get it to work using my iPhone 3G over 3G.

The Senstic web help has tried, but I still have a stumbling block. I enable NAT using Airport Utility, but I get a conflict in the port/sharing address.

I guess this app is too early to be released.

Oskee2001

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
Mine actually works great.....except for one small problem. I put it on two phones, my girlfriend's and mine. mine has stopped connecting, but hers still works. not sure what the deal is....maybe only one phone can be connecting at a time?

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Toronto
The developer provided new apps for me, but still no go; less so, in fact. They're working on it; I'm keeping the faith.

stiphone

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
Keep us updated. I'm really interested in an app like this. Hopefully, they'll work out the bugs pretty soon.

ssdar

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2008
Netherlands
If you want to use aircam remotely you can create a dns host for your routers external ip adres. use something like http://www.no-ip.com for the (free) dns host.
open ports 5900. (or something like dmz)
Type your dns host adres in manual connection of Aircam and you should see your webcam (remotely) .:apple:
works for me

orrelse44

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
Has anyone figured this out?

I saw an air cam update last night but still no remote access via 3G unless you do that port forwarding BS--which I don't have the smarts to figure out.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
wow. You paid for this app. You could have used ORB for free it will do the same thing plus more.

Oskee2001

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
the latest update seems to have worked some of the bugs out....it connects more reliably, but not always on the first try. i got it working fine over 3G....i just followed the instructions.

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Toronto
wow. You paid for this app. You could have used ORB for free it will do the same thing plus more.

from the iTunes App Store, OrbLive Free:

"**coming soon for Mac and Linux computers."

Or am I missing something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.