Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tgifman1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
So I was in need of an iPod and my sister upgraded to a classic because her iPod Video wasn't working anymore, so i wanted to get it working again. The problem with the iPod is that it doesn't charge (I think it might charge a tiny amount, as it can be unplugged for 15min). The battery WAS replaced and is brand new, but it still won't charge. I have tried firewire, usb, wall charger, but nothing works. The iPod DOES say that it is charging, but when it unpluggs it display only a little red (The least possible) and then soon it runs out of power. And it doesn't die when it is plugged in.

Is there any somewhat "easy" way to fix (as in not send it in for repair)? And does anyone know what the specific issue might be?

Thanks! :confused:

cmooreou

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2008
Tulsa, OK
open it up and take a look, the battery cable might not be connected properly, or you could replace the battery yourself, its an easy fix if that is the problem and there are vids on youtube to help.

tgifman1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
open it up and take a look, the battery cable might not be connected properly, or you could replace the battery yourself, its an easy fix if that is the problem and there are vids on youtube to help.

Thanks for the response! i was thinking of doing this, but i was wondering if you need the "ipod openers" that everyone uses in the videos? Can you just use a sharp object like a knife?

And i probably will try it when i get some time.

cmooreou

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Thanks for the response! i was thinking of doing this, but i was wondering if you need the "ipod openers" that everyone uses in the videos? Can you just use a sharp object like a knife?

And i probably will try it when i get some time.

i wouldn't use a knife, i would use a hard plastic. i have opened an iPod video with a guitar pick once (though it was very difficult), and once with a gift card. but the iPod opening tools are the easiest way to go. but dont get discouraged when you don't get the ipod open as fast as they do in the vids, because those ipods have been opened several times before and are loose and easy to open. just take your time and you'll get it.

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
I don't know exactly what's happening in your case, but I came across a glitch a little while ago.
A friend of mine's iPod Touch was down on power and seeing as how I had my iBook with me we plugged it in to that and killed the sync mode so his tunes wouldn't get replaced.

After a while he noticed the Touch wasn't charging. I noticed the iBook was charging, as it had been running on battery power earlier, so I unplugged the AC from the iBook.

Voila! Only then did the iPod Touch begin to charge. It slowly ran my battery down, but not much faster than if used normally.

tgifman1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
I don't know exactly what's happening in your case, but I came across a glitch a little while ago.
A friend of mine's iPod Touch was down on power and seeing as how I had my iBook with me we plugged it in to that and killed the sync mode so his tunes wouldn't get replaced.

After a while he noticed the Touch wasn't charging. I noticed the iBook was charging, as it had been running on battery power earlier, so I unplugged the AC from the iBook.

Voila! Only then did the iPod Touch begin to charge. It slowly ran my battery down, but not much faster than if used normally.

yea, I don't think that's the issue, I've tried it chargers and computers and anything you can thing of under the sun.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
When you open it make sure you stay away from the screen.
I didn't do that and ended up killing half the pixels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.