Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smoothiemaker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
Hello, I am a first poster here.

I got my Mac back in August and of course love it. No problems from it so far.

I purchased a 1TB external HD when I got my Mac, because I am a part-time DJ/karaoke show host. Usually my partner and I use his PC to run the karaoke software because I haven't been able to find any for Mac. He wanted me to have the task of logging onto this IRC called "Chillvision" where karaoke hosts and enthusiasts can trade songs.

Herein lies my problem: All the karaoke songs that we use are on my external drive, and when I try and find the drive through Parallels, it won't come up. It is shown on my main hard drive but I cannot find it through Parallels.

I was hoping someone could maybe tell me if there is a way for it to be found, or am I just out of luck?

Thank you in advance!

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
You need to tell Parallels to use the external hard drive in the guest OS instead of the host OS. I'm not at my Mac, but if I recall correctly there is a USB button on the bottom right that you can select to cause any particular external USB device to be mounted in the VM.

smoothiemaker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
That worked, thanks so much! :)

Of course, now that I got that out of the way I ran into another problem trying to stay on their server. lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.