Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
So i was browsin youtube and i saw people making calls from their touches...for christmas my 2 main things were ipod touch and a 360...this calling thing boosts the touch to my No. 1:D

so just a few questions...

1.Firmware? Which firmware do you need to do this? Im porobably getting a 2g so it would come with 2.x whatever they give you...can i make/recieve calls with 2.x?

2.Is it on one specific generation? Do i need 1g or will 2g work?

3.Do you need to be in a wifi hotspot?

4.What would be the best Mic/headphone thing to buy?

Anything else ya'd like to ad be free to do so.

Thanks,

Justan

Xradicaljetx

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2008
yeah I have an app that you can make calls In and it's free mine iPod touch 2g is in software 2.2 but the bad part about it is I have no mic but I did try it and it worked. you should get the 2ylg bcuz it's much more thinner and it has more apps on start when you turn it on and the 1st generation doesn't have that you have to pay 10 bucks to update it so yeah oh and the app to make free calls is called (fring).:)

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
I have never, ever heard Apple say that the 2G is thinner, the only people I've seen say/post it are misinformed individuals on these boards and people in those crappy Mac-based podcasts.

The second gen is 0.5mm THICKER than the first gen.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
I have never, ever heard Apple say that the 2G is thinner, the only people I've seen say/post it are misinformed individuals on these boards and people in those crappy Mac-based podcasts.

The second gen is 0.5mm THICKER than the first gen.

Apple doesn't use the word "thinner" to describe the 2G iPod touch.

What they do say is that it's got a "sleek new design". They support that characterization by describing its enclosure as "surprisingly thin" and "contoured".

Those statements are not quantitative comparisons between the 2G iPod touch and any other device - that would involve words like "sleeker", or "thinner". Rather they are qualitative statements that describe the 2G iPod touch standing on its own.

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/whatsnew.html

ThunderBull4

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
"iPod touch feels even better in your hand thanks to the stunningly thin, contoured enclosure "

Hahaha, good way to indirectly say "it's actually thicker then the 1st gen"

mikeleeuk

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
North Walsham
That's only at the thickest point, though. The contoured design means most of it is actually thinner than the old iPod touch. :)

Those statements are not quantitative comparisons between the 2G iPod touch and any other device - that would involve words like "sleeker", or "thinner". Rather they are qualitative statements that describe the 2G iPod touch standing on its own.

Except "New features in a sleeker design". http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/guidedtour

acedew

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
It looks thinner, it feels thinner, and it takes up less space in your pocket. Call it what you want, but the effect is that it is a slimmer device since it's contoured.

Apple's not trying to hide the fact that it's thicker in the middle than its predecessor when it calls it a "stunningly thin device." They describe it that way because it's more succinct and appealing than saying "it's much thinner near the edges but tapers to an imperceptibly thicker middle." It's an accurate description of what you think when you pick one up.

justan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Who cares, theres a .5mm diff. Not much there...lets get on track....

Ok the first reply kind of answered my question...anyone care to help a little more though? Thanks,

Justan

pismodude2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
MacWorld
Getting back on topic (making calls on the Touch):

The app is called Fring, and it is free on the App Store. You'll also need headphones with a built-in mic or an adapter that has a mic in-line so you can make calls with whatever headphones you like.

Some examples of headphones w/mic built-in would be:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA850G/A
https://www.krcs.co.uk/shop/product/details/macally-tunepal-in-ear-iphone-headphones-mic
http://www.shop4tech.com/user.htm?go=view_item&id=7882&r=183

Some examples of adapters that could let you make calls without special headphones would be:
http://www.amazon.com/IPHONE-HEADPH...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228513769&sr=1-2
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPhone-Stereo-Converter-microphone/dp/B0019CQN0Y/ref=pd_sbs_e_12

Note 1: You need the 2G Touch connected to Wi-Fi!
Note 2: You need to make a Skype account or similar to use with Fring.

P.S. Firmware is irrelevant since the 2G Touch never ran a firmware older than 2.1.1 :)

Edit: Yes, you can use any of the VoIP apps on the store (most of which will only install on the 2G), I was simply trying to make it easier on the OP

justan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
ok i was watching this video...he can make AND recieve calls...can you do that with fring? If not how did he do that?

pismodude2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
MacWorld
ok i was watching this video...he can make AND recieve calls...can you do that with fring? If not how did he do that?

Yeah, it's all Fring. You just need to be paying for a number from your VoIP provider (ex: SKYPE) and have that account info entered in Fring.

ibridget

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2008
Hi,..uh actually it works just fine with Fring. (shh..our little secret ;) ) When you open fring you just need to click on the dialer pad, then put in 1+area code+phone number. At least that is what I did just now and it works fine on my 1st gen itouch. It rang my home number just fine, and also my cell phone. The only problem I have is the italk microphone that I bought for the itouch works great as far as a voice recorder but the person on the other end can barely hear me in phone calls, and because it is a large rectangular device, it blocks the earphones jack. Perhaps with a headset that has a mic built in this is workable?

lakeuk

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2008
What about the new Truphone App? http://www.truphone.com/ipod/
LowEndMac's iNews has a more detailed PR release on http://www.lowendmac.com/inews/08inews/1205.html#10
has anyone tried it? or is it too "specialized"?

I've tried it with an iphone mic adaptor plugged into my touch 2g (2.2FW), it's easy to setup and use and when it works the call quality is excellent, one of the big problems I have with it is that majority of calls to/from googletalk result in me only hearing my own voice as if I'm on helium. The caller hears me ok but I don't here them.

This happens 95% of the time

geko

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
bcuz it's much more thinner
I just had to correct you on this. It's actually not thinner, the 1st gen is thinner. Not sure why the 2nd gen was advertised to be thinner, probably a marketing thing.

I just had to correct you there bcuz, more thinner please write in English, thinner is a comparative, so essentially saying thinner is equivalent to saying more thin, so by saying more thinner[\I] you are technically saying more more thin[\I] which doesn't make any grammatical sense whatsoever. Also what on earth does bcuz[\I] mean? Surely you must be thinking of the English[\B] word because[\I]? Next time think before you write, instead of writing, bcuz it's much more thinner[\I], write because it is much thinner[\I]. There, doesn't that just sound a whole lot better?

justan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
It ticks me off when people correct others grammar. Everybody knows what he was talking about so whats the big deal if he shortens words and uses incorrect grammar??

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
I had no idea that I could do this with my touch! So how exactly do I get it set up with fring? Can I use my current mobile number?

slomifier

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2008
I don't know wtf you people are talking about, but I have both a 1st Generation and a 2nd Generation (both 8gb) and the 2G is notably thinner. YOu can see the difference just looking at it, and it slides much easier into its case (made for my 1G.)

When my 1G was jailbroken, there were many apps to make phone calls from a Touch. I used up all the fee uses though.

pismodude2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
MacWorld
Hi,..uh actually it works just fine with Fring. (shh..our little secret ;) ) When you open fring you just need to click on the dialer pad, then put in 1+area code+phone number. At least that is what I did just now and it works fine on my 1st gen itouch. It rang my home number just fine, and also my cell phone. The only problem I have is the italk microphone that I bought for the itouch works great as far as a voice recorder but the person on the other end can barely hear me in phone calls, and because it is a large rectangular device, it blocks the earphones jack. Perhaps with a headset that has a mic built in this is workable?

That's just it, the 1G can't use microphones, only the 2G has the wiring in the headphone jack. Sorry, but you're out of luck (which is why I said the 1G is not compatible).

P.S. Even if that iTalk thing does work (which it shouldn't without jailbreaking), soon Fring will (most likely) update like all the other mic. apps and say '2G iPod touch' only.

dave92029

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
Telephone number and call forwarding?

This is a very helpful discussion. Thanks.

I have a 2g iPod Touch, and Apple has recently notified me that they have shipped the new headset with mic to me.

If I downdoad the apps fring/ truphone what telephone number will I be using? How can I receive calls? Can I have my calls from my home call forwarded to the Touch and record messages if the touch is not connected to WiFi, or is this just a way of making out bound calls?

Thanks for your assistance.

Dave

ibridget

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibridget
Hi,..uh actually it works just fine with Fring. (shh..our little secret ) When you open fring you just need to click on the dialer pad, then put in 1+area code+phone number. At least that is what I did just now and it works fine on my 1st gen itouch. It rang my home number just fine, and also my cell phone. The only problem I have is the italk microphone that I bought for the itouch works great as far as a voice recorder but the person on the other end can barely hear me in phone calls, and because it is a large rectangular device, it blocks the earphones jack. Perhaps with a headset that has a mic built in this is workable?

That's just it, the 1G can't use microphones, only the 2G has the wiring in the headphone jack. Sorry, but you're out of luck (which is why I said the 1G is not compatible).

P.S. Even if that iTalk thing does work (which it shouldn't without jailbreaking), soon Fring will (most likely) update like all the other mic. apps and say '2G iPod touch' only.

Had to post again, yup you are right. I tested a phone call to our home line and daughter could not hear me through the itouch. So, the microphone works, I can use it with the device as a voice recorder, but no it doesn't work as a phone. Oh well, get a cheap pay as you go Tracfone and you'll still be paying less than if using the iphone and their contracts. ;) Great thread everyone, thanks for the info!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.