PDA

View Full Version : which computer are you?

jefhatfield
Jun 7, 2002, 12:38 PM
of all the machines/macs out there, which one would you be if you got reincarnated into a computer?

i would be an ibook because, while i may not be the fastest one in the lineup, i eventually get there and have a tough and lasting shell:D

eyelikeart
Jun 7, 2002, 12:45 PM
hmm....I'd say I'm my TiBook...

pretty slim & lean...

but makes a big impact (us small guys need to be a bit louder in life u know ;)...

pretty powerful (I may be small in size but I'm pretty strong for my size :D)

although not as sexy...most women think I'm "just so cute"...mainly because I'm kinda short...he he he ;)

Macmaniac
Jun 7, 2002, 12:48 PM
Definantly the new iMac, I would be revolutionaty and yet fun too use, and of course by that time there would be 1ghz G4s in them.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 12:50 PM
I don't know. I'd like to think I'd be a mac, but I'm not sure. If I was to come back as a mac it would be as a desktop, fast and powerful.

eyelikeart
Jun 7, 2002, 01:05 PM
duke would probably be the tricked out PowerMac...running OS X...

it's able to take on whatever tasks u give it...

it has power to spare...

and it always is reliable...;)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 01:06 PM
Yes, but has the ability to crash on occassion, just because it feels like it....:D

eyelikeart
Jun 7, 2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Yes, but has the ability to crash on occassion, just because it feels like it....:D

he he he....true...

I just somehow envision dukestreet as a workhorse who can do it all... ;)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
I just somehow envision dukestreet as a workhorse who can do it all... ;)

Well, i might have been that way a few years ago, so maybe instead of a dual Ghz, I might be a dual 800, not exactly as young as I once was....but then again if I can pull off this sub 5 min mile in september, I could have an upgrade....

jefhatfield
Jun 7, 2002, 01:26 PM

Well, i might have been that way a few years ago, so maybe instead of a dual Ghz, I might be a dual 800, not exactly as young as I once was....but then again if I can pull off this sub 5 min mile in september, I could have an upgrade....

let me know about the sub five minute mile...that is an amazing goal for anybody at any age!

heck, sub six minutes for me at 5'7"/180 would be worthy of a guinness honorable mention for "fat techie breaks the speed of sound"

eyelikeart
Jun 7, 2002, 01:30 PM
but then again if I can pull off this sub 5 min mile in september, I could have an upgrade....

dude...if u pull of a sub-5 minute mile...

damn that's powerful! :D

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 01:31 PM
I could probably do the sub 6 now, last year I did a 6:08 with my dog at the Pennsylvania Ave. 1 miler, came in 4th. I want to win something this september...been going out with my dog at night and running 1.5 miles at a good clip, she needs training too....

iGav
Jun 7, 2002, 01:49 PM
I'd get nowhere near a sub 7 minute mile never mind 5....... :p

I just can't pace myself over long distances........ sprint or nothing....... although I'm pretty handy up to about 200 metres......... long legs you see..... :D :p

I'm not much of a runner....... just can't get a rhythm going........ however stick me on a mountain bike..... at the bottom of a mountain and watch me go... :)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by iGAV

I've always been a sprinter, but never did it in highschool or college, which is a shame, I'd love to see how well I could have done.

A lot of my current speed comes from playing ultimate frisbee where you are running up and down the field at almos full speed. Its great exercise and a lot of fun at the same time, not like running where you have just yourself usually to keep your mind occupied. That's why I like running with the dog, you're constantly making sure she's staying with you, not trying to go after squirrels or run in the road and get in the way of traffic.

Now when I go run down the trail along the potomac 4 miles or so (round trip) that's tough, except when there are a lot of sites to see (nothing like an in shape woman running in a sports bra.....:D )

let's talk motivation....

eyelikeart
Jun 7, 2002, 01:58 PM

I just can't pace myself over long distances........ sprint or nothing....... although I'm pretty handy up to about 200 metres......... long legs you see..... :D :p

I'm not much of a runner....... just can't get a rhythm going........ however stick me on a mountain bike..... at the bottom of a mountain and watch me go... :)

my best times were in the very low 6 minute range...I do have fairly short legs...so I have to work a little harder over long distances...well...had to work harder...

I'm still working myself back to rough riding with my mountain bike...I'm surprised I was able to jump back on and at least get some distance in again...glad I had incorporated some minor leg exercises with my workouts...;)

iGav
Jun 7, 2002, 02:09 PM

I've always been a sprinter, but never did it in highschool or college, which is a shame, I'd love to see how well I could have done.

A lot of my current speed comes from playing ultimate frisbee where you are running up and down the field at almos full speed. Its great exercise and a lot of fun at the same time, not like running where you have just yourself usually to keep your mind occupied. That's why I like running with the dog, you're constantly making sure she's staying with you, not trying to go after squirrels or run in the road and get in the way of traffic.

Now when I go run down the trail along the potomac 4 miles or so (round trip) that's tough, except when there are a lot of sites to see (nothing like an in shape woman running in a sports bra.....:D )

let's talk motivation....

I can't throw a frisbee properly either....... :p for some reason I just don't have much in the way of stamina when it comes to running, yet I'm fine on a bike...... or rowing........ when I'm running I can barely stop myself from collapsing... never mind eyeing up the ladies.......

Eye... you got any good trails down in New Orleans??? the only major disadvantage with London, is it's complete lack of off road and single tracks....... and most of all complete lack of mountains.........

I miss Yorkshire........ :(

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 02:13 PM
Ha, New Orleans is 8' below sea level, but they do have a few hills. My brother use to ride in races in Florida, they had built up courses around a lake, no greater change in elevation then 30' or so. But he use to win his group, EarthShakers or something, its when you and your bike weigh in at over 250 pounds. He's about 6'4" and 230 or so....

eyelikeart
Jun 7, 2002, 02:19 PM
I wish there were some killer trails...

the one I ride is mostly flat...some rockiness here & there...no big obstacles, but a few jumps where the concrete is broken up...

some parts north of New Orleans have some great woods trails though...

I'll make them one day soon...I'm looking to join a biking club around here...so we'll see what happens... ;)

AlphaTech
Jun 7, 2002, 02:20 PM
I'd have to go with a 'tweaked' PowerMac Gx tower. Probably with a quad processor running at 2GHz+ each. :D Slap a RAID card into the mix and I'd be even happier (attach at least a pair of 160GB drives to it :D).

I may not be the most portable person, but I get the job done, and store gobs of info. Plus, I can pull off a blood-fest without skipping a beat :D, UT style of course.

My kid would have to be a TiBook though (whenever that happens).

This weekend is going to be dedicated to gaming and riding the motorcycle... So I MIGHT not be on here as much as I have in weekends past. Considering how I have been without gaming for too long now.

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 7, 2002, 02:28 PM
sounds like an emode survey...

i had a clamshell ibook for a couple months a few years back. it totally reminded me of a friend. she wasnt happy with the comparison.

not sure what id be. maybe the beige g3 powermac. kickass but missed out on all the fancy colors. just a bunch of jagged edges and the first of a new kind.

eyelikeart
Jun 7, 2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
sounds like an emode survey...

now don't get started on emode...has anyone else here besides Lemon & myself taken any of their tests?

we may need to start another thread if so... ;)

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 7, 2002, 02:40 PM
you know this might be more fun if we described what computers we thought each other were...

could get visicous though.

[eye, what breed of dog are you?]

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 02:41 PM
That would be damn funny.

As for a dog, I'm a mutt, pure bred mutt.....

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 7, 2002, 02:46 PM

I just can't pace myself over long distances........ sprint or nothing...

a mile is a sprint if you are doing it right. hit your split in the low 2s and tell me thats not sprinting.

if you really want to learn to run the mile you need to run the 800m.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 02:49 PM
when I ran last year (never running just a mile, let alone with the dog) I hit the half mile mark at 2:40. I thought I was going too fast, not thinking I could last, but I was wrong and slowed down, only to come up to the last 200 yards and start sprinting, with the dog trailing behind me. And I had just come off an injury, so I know I can do 5:30, and I'm making my goal under 5 - I think its doable.

AlphaTech
Jun 7, 2002, 02:56 PM
That would be damn funny.

As for a dog, I'm a mutt, pure bred mutt.....

That's more then a bit like military intelligence... since you can't have a pure bred mutt just by definition alone... :D... Then again, if you get a hold of one of those reality distortion fields, you could do it... Then again, you could also create a world like Omaha (the manga version ;) )...

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 7, 2002, 02:58 PM
well my best mile was 4:46 so im hardly a person to be giving advice. hit 5:10 on my 3 mile split so 4:46 on just the mile always pissed me off. must have hit 4:46 a dozen times too. anyway, if you are running on a track, the best way to do it is to break the race down. like i said learning to run that 800m in the low 2s (210 and below) is key. and a good kick at the end is a must. and hey nonregulation spikes are always fun ;)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 03:01 PM
I'll definitely go try the 800m and see how I do and get back to you. I'm sort of just doing this as on my own, not with any coach or real training. I won't be wearing spikes, and the final race is on a flat level of street.

What sort of medium distance should I run for endurance training?

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 7, 2002, 03:09 PM
im more of a distance guy. but since i was a good sprinter id play around with the mile and 800m (and sometimes the 400m). used to do 1000 mile summers, now thats crazy.

id suggest finding an all weather track to train on. any nearby hs or university should have one.

the best workouts are a combination of speed and distance. so do repeats on the track. do say 8 400m repeats with a full recovery then go for a 3 to 6 mile run. start off cool and then work into it. and always do a nice 20 minute cool down on the grass.

running on streets is very hard on your joints. so id suggest finding some dirt or grass. and definitely make sure you have good shoes. typical running shoe lasts about 300 to 500 miles.

eyelikeart
Jun 7, 2002, 03:13 PM
I'm hella jealous...

what sucked most of all was how much endurance I built up...it took a couple years...

have either of u guys ever suffered an injury related to running?

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 7, 2002, 03:22 PM
:) multiple stress fractures in both legs. had to go through 4 doctors before i found one that would let me keep running on them.

fell down a mountain once. sprinting down the trail after 9 miles up hill. couldnt walk for about a month, started doing pool workouts.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 03:23 PM
Injuries related to running while playing ultimate. I've sprained both ankles several times, popped my knee once, took me a week or so to heal (thankfully nothing major) and blew out my back last year, that was the injury that I was talking about that effected my training for last years race. Had to go the the chiropracter for months to get back into form.

I'll have to travel to go to the track, so that might only be once or twice a week, we'll see.

D

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 7, 2002, 03:32 PM
twice a week actually isnt bad. that sort of intense training shouldnt be something you do everyday. is it close enough to run to?

used to do a run on the beach where you would jog to a jetty then sprint to the next jeddy all the way to the pier. worked out so the final leg was a long sprint to the pier. whole thing was about 4 or 5 miles i think. then ran back starting out slow and building into a nice fast pace.

can you tell i miss runnning? :) i think my doctors would freak out if i started again.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 7, 2002, 03:37 PM
twice a week actually isnt bad. that sort of intense training shouldnt be something you do everyday. is it close enough to run to?

used to do a run on the beach where you would jog to a jetty then sprint to the next jeddy all the way to the pier. worked out so the final leg was a long sprint to the pier. whole thing was about 4 or 5 miles i think. then ran back starting out slow and building into a nice fast pace.

can you tell i miss runnning? :) i think my doctors would freak out if i started again.

wouldn't mind having a beach to run on around here. The only good place for running is the Mount Vernon trail. There might be a school down that way, but I don't know where, probably too far.

One of the things I've heard is that distance running and sprinting don't work well together. If you run sprints you should keep the long distance to around 3-4. This is just some of the other ultimate players talking, but there is no reason to believe they dont' know what they're talking about. Its just what you are saying is that the long distance is good.

I've also read that to train for 5k is to run no more than 5 miles. So I was planning on making that my cut off. Any thoughts.

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 7, 2002, 03:48 PM
i woudlnt say those guys dont know what they are talking about since i cant hear everything they are saying but mixing speed and distance is really the only proper way to train for middle distances. Even long distance runners should do some speed work outs. Mile repeats are always fun and hill repeats are a must for most.

whatever distance you run you definitely want to train by running longer disntances (ok thats not the case fr a marathon, but thats a horse of a different color). if you want to run a 5k (~3 miles) then i would think you would want to do 25 to 30 mile weeks. one day off would be a relaxing 20 minute jog on grass or a trail. the other days would range from 3 to 8 miles. and mixing speed workouts with distance is a must. you need to be able to pound off some repeats go for a long run and then come off and do some more repeats. that will get you ready. but always listen to your body. if something hurt, even just a little, take care of it. because when you are working your body that hard something minor one day can become something very bad quickly. stay off cement as much as possible. dirt, grass, even asfault is softer and better on your joints.

i think that 5 mile cut off is mostly good. most of your runs should be around that, but dont be afraid to go for 8 once a week if you take it easy the next day.id say 5 is probably what you should be averaging (maybe even a lil less).

eyelikeart
Jun 7, 2002, 03:59 PM
I have minor cartilage damage in my right knee...I smacked it while falling on rollerblades...I learned to skate on a half-pipe, so u can imagine how that must have felt :eek:

voicegy
Jun 8, 2002, 12:30 PM
No question about it. I'd be a 20th Anniversary Macintosh.

jefhatfield
Jun 8, 2002, 12:40 PM
i woudlnt say those guys dont know what they are talking about since i cant hear everything they are saying but mixing speed and distance is really the only proper way to train for middle distances. Even long distance runners should do some speed work outs. Mile repeats are always fun and hill repeats are a must for most.

whatever distance you run you definitely want to train by running longer disntances (ok thats not the case fr a marathon, but thats a horse of a different color). if you want to run a 5k (~3 miles) then i would think you would want to do 25 to 30 mile weeks. one day off would be a relaxing 20 minute jog on grass or a trail. the other days would range from 3 to 8 miles. and mixing speed workouts with distance is a must. you need to be able to pound off some repeats go for a long run and then come off and do some more repeats. that will get you ready. but always listen to your body. if something hurt, even just a little, take care of it. because when you are working your body that hard something minor one day can become something very bad quickly. stay off cement as much as possible. dirt, grass, even asfault is softer and better on your joints.

i think that 5 mile cut off is mostly good. most of your runs should be around that, but dont be afraid to go for 8 once a week if you take it easy the next day.id say 5 is probably what you should be averaging (maybe even a lil less).

hey, is wapni woo a cross street of telegraph? he he

i came from a very small high school so our team had to put all its upper classmen and better lower classmen on varsity

the rest of us younguns had to make up for the whole junior varsity team...i am short and light, then, so i ran 800, mile, and 2 mile usually

but i was also required to run 200, 400, 4xmile, 4x100, shotput, and discus just so our team could get points for participating

my best mile in a meet was only 5:45 so anything under five minutes was definitely varsity level, and good varsity level to boot (our best runner on varsity did 5:02 for the mile)

i wonder if any high schools have a sub five minute junior varsity runner? or how about a sub 4:30/mile junior varsity mile?

sub 4:00/mile is definitely very pro sounding to me or college level

what is the world's record these days?

Mr. Anderson
Jun 8, 2002, 12:49 PM
A recent high school student here in VA, in 2001, Alan Webb with a sub 4, 3:53.43 - truly amazing. Thats the national high school record.

The world record is 3:43.13, by Hicham El Guerrouj (MOR) '99

Talk about crazy fast....

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 8, 2002, 02:27 PM
that is crazy fast. but what always got me was watching the girls run (for more than obvious reasons). watching some of the nation's best chicks do the 3 mile and completely waste most boys varsity times was amazing.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 8, 2002, 02:41 PM
now that's interesting. why were the girls so much better at the middle distances?

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 8, 2002, 02:49 PM
o the best guys were way better.

its just when comparing the best woman in the country to your own varsity team usually the woman would beat most of the varsity guys.

Rajj
Jun 8, 2002, 04:26 PM
I would most definitely be a TiBook :D
Stronger than Steel yet lighter than aluminum :D
Highly mobile, yet with a stealthy approach :D
Get's the job done and some :cool:

MacAztec
Jun 8, 2002, 04:41 PM
I would say im a PowerBook with 1GB of RAM and a 40GB HD.

I am really slim and athletic, but I haven't fully grown yet. I know when I do sprout up, I will be about 6'0 to 6'2. Just like everyone else in the family...

Durandal7
Jun 8, 2002, 07:22 PM
I would say I'm a Powermac G3 tower, I have a lot of bizarre habits and tend to glitch a lot ;) .

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 8, 2002, 07:24 PM
:) yes, what is up with those old g3 towers? got to love them though.

britboy
Jun 8, 2002, 07:31 PM
I'm probably a Power Computing tower. I don't follow the mould, often miss the mark, but am no slouch for my time ;)

Whilst i love my tibook, no human could possibly be that close to perfection :D

Durandal7
Jun 8, 2002, 07:34 PM
:) yes, what is up with those old g3 towers? got to love them though.

The older motherboards had lots of weird issues with Hard Drives, SCSI, Firewire, etc. This had the unfortunate effect of making some very unstable (like mine.)

jefhatfield
Jun 8, 2002, 08:05 PM
A recent high school student here in VA, in 2001, Alan Webb with a sub 4, 3:53.43 - truly amazing. Thats the national high school record.

The world record is 3:43.13, by Hicham El Guerrouj (MOR) '99

Talk about crazy fast....

so there is a sub 4 hs student...that is great and truly amazing

world record is really fast and i can't imagine anybody ever going much lower than that

resm
Jun 8, 2002, 08:24 PM
oh.....definitely an iMac 800

a little bit bottom heavy but flexible in his head, bright and nice to look at :p

Mr. Anderson
Jun 8, 2002, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by jefhatfield

so there is a sub 4 hs student...that is great and truly amazing

world record is really fast and i can't imagine anybody ever going much lower than that

There are several, all truely amazing. As for the world record, it will always get lower and lower, but the difference in times will be much narrower. There are all sort of factors to take into account, altitude for one, the higher you are the less wind and air resistance. I bet we see sub 3:40 in the next couple decades.....

mr.w
Jun 11, 2002, 04:48 PM
right now i'm on my dual 800 with my 22 inch display. I love it.