PDA

View Full Version : power book batteries

brsboarder
Feb 19, 2004, 03:26 PM
I was wondering if there are any batteries that you can buy for the new g4 powerbook which will extend the battery life, and I was wondering where i can find them, and how much battery life they will give? thanks

Counterfit
Feb 19, 2004, 03:49 PM
I don't know of any that exist, yet. Sometime in the near/medium range future there probably will be though.

wordmunger
Feb 19, 2004, 03:52 PM
An ad appeared right above this forum for "longer lasting batteries." I clicked through but the most recent Mac advertised is the TiBook. Here's the link (ttp://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Page.cfm?Parent=999&Title=PowerBook%20Accessories&Template=).

You could always just buy a spare. They're hot-swappable. Just put the Mac to sleep and pop in a new one.

virividox
Feb 19, 2004, 04:34 PM
do u mean an extended battery? hmm never heard of that. but i secomd the idea of a spare battery

hob
Feb 24, 2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by wordmunger
You could always just buy a spare. They're hot-swappable. Just put the Mac to sleep and pop in a new one.

Hot-swapabble?!? Do you mean you can swap out the battery without plugging it in to power?!

Hob (powerbook owner to be)

wordmunger
Feb 24, 2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by hob
Hot-swapabble?!? Do you mean you can swap out the battery without plugging it in to power?!

Hob (powerbook owner to be)

That's what I mean. You don't even have to power down. Just put it to sleep (you might want to save whatever you're working on, just in case), flip it over, pop out the old one, pop in the new one, and you're ready to go. The whole process takes just a few seconds. The only annoying thing about this process is figuring out how to recharge. You have to remember to recharge both batteries when you are plugged in. Or you can buy an optional external charger, but these are fairly expensive (around $200, iirc).

hob
Feb 24, 2004, 04:04 PM
that is VERY impressive, and unless i'm very much mistaken - it's not very well advertised!

how long do you have to change battery once you've removed the first one?

thetman
Feb 25, 2004, 02:07 PM
just wondering if anyone had anymore info on an external battery charger?

wordmunger
Feb 26, 2004, 11:31 AM
Uh-oh...

It looks like this (http://www.smartdisk.com/Press%20Releases/PowerBookAccessoriesfn.asp) might have been cancelled. I've had a hard time finding it online. And it looks like they never made one for the AlBooks. Sorry if I misled anyone. But they are definitely hot-swappable. According to this page you have one minute (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88059) to make the change on 15- and 17-inch powerbooks.

JFreak
Feb 26, 2004, 12:08 PM
that works, too, and is envy for all pc users. i did that at work once, and everyone was just drooling over :) they were quite speechless...

Counterfit
Feb 27, 2004, 01:05 PM
You mean an Apple computer can do something a Dell or the ilk can't?! :eek:

;)