Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cocopelli

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2002
Spokane, Wa.
Hi. Please dont flame me for this, but I really want to do some kind of case mod on my G5 and I was wondering if anyone knew of sight where I could look that is devoted more to mac case mods. I searched google but all that came up was the dude that put the micro atx board in the G5 case and thats not exactly what Im looking to do. So anybody?????

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
You might want to describe something you want to do to the case... or accomplish. Do not suggest a window or lights, you WILL get flamed.

cocopelli

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2002
Spokane, Wa.
I was thinking of drawing the outline of the apple with LEDs on the front. I dont know how plausible that is but my roommate is pretty good with electronics and such and we have a bunch of white LEDs so i thought it would be cool to plug a bunch of those holes up in the front, but I dont know they might end up producing to much heat(since the air going to the processors would flow right around them). What do you guys think??? is it possible? How hard is it to get at the powersupply to run these if we would get it to work? I also thought it would be cool although I dont know how difficult it would be. But to somehow get the apple on the door to glow kinda like it does on the powerbooks but thats a different story. thats about all ive thought of so far but im sure ill think of other things id like to do eventually.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Kinda like Light Brights? Interesting idea.

I wonder if you could do something with fiber optic lighting, that way your could make the lights change color. Then find a way to hook it up to the iTunes visualizer to make the color changes responsive to your music.... But that's way beyond my capability.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Don't know a flame job is probably a little over the top, it'll probably end up looking as tacky as a Hotwheels PC.

Worse if you decide on a pink paint scheme and make it look like the Barbie PC.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
In my opinion, theres nothing wrong with a window and lights as long as you don't think its really special... That got old a couple years ago

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Cool, do christmas lights in there that twinkle and stuff. Then you have a "Starry Night" G5! (Get the screensaver Starry Night and you are all sett for a romantic evening with your girlfriend! This beets the video of a fire burning on your TV :D )

krimson

macrumors 65816
have you considered EL cable?

directron_1778_305237407

it's pretty flexable, and I was considering using that to outline the Apple on the side of my QS.. but i haven't had the time to chop up the case.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
Originally posted by Dreadnought
Cool, do christmas lights in there that twinkle and stuff. Then you have a "Starry Night" G5! (Get the screensaver Starry Night and you are all sett for a romantic evening with your girlfriend! This beets the video of a fire burning on your TV :D )

Starry Night screensaver!? WHERE!?

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
Originally posted by Sun Baked
I don't know why people think a case mod makes the computer faster.

g5mod.jpg

Did it take you a week to Photoshop that up?
Well it was certainly worth it!:p :p

I bet the owner drives around in a Civic with an enormous wing on the bacK...

mangoduck

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2002
lost at sea
i don't know what else you'd want to do to a g5 if not lights. and even then only blue or white ones, green makes no sense in there. additional and/or specialized cooling would be a functional mod but it's not exactly needed.

why would you want to paint or drill holes in your nice new aluminum case? did you get this mac for performance and to get things done, or to show off in hopes people will like you? there's also your warranty to consider.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.