Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfilm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Hey, ever since I got Leopard my printing quality from 3 different printers has got so poor.
I've printed on photoshop CS3, CS2, iPhoto and Aperture from two different Canons and an Epson, one of which is at my work.

The printing is so muddy looking and looks nothing like on the screen, colours are off, dark, muddy, poor printing.

What is up with this, everything worked fine in Tiger when it came to printing.

All it can print is text docs ok, any kind of picture just won't print well at all, is there any solution?? I can give model names if you want.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Printing from OSX is already a PITA. That said, I do get true colors off my Epson R1800. From PS CS3 I print and let the printer manage the colors if I'm using a special paper profile. If not, I let PS manage the colors. Keep in mind my monitor and printer are calibrated using Spyder2 Pro. Have you ever calibrated the printer? Using OSX it is even more crucial to calibrate things for some reason.

Can you give a little more detail on how you're printing? Are you asking PS to manage your colors or the printer?

macfilm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Thanks for the response, could you give me some help on how exactly I calibrate my printer?

The one i'm using here at work is a Canon Pixma iP4300.

I'll attach a picture form my print screen within CS3 so you can see for yourself.

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    172.7 KB · Views: 72

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You can start here but generally I just used the software that came with my colorimeter. Do you have anything like Spyder to calibrate your monitor?

Looks like you're asking Photoshop to manage colors and you're working in a basic color profile. I would recommend trying to choose something that is tailored towards the paper. What paper are you printing on?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
The most common user error is to "double manage" the printer color profile. It must be done in EITHER the driver or in Photoshop but NOT both. If that is OK then is you monitor calibrated?

macfilm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Cheers for the responses, I'm not too god at all this stuff. How exactly do I "calaborate" and does it cost money?

And Chris could you please explain how I get to the settings the double manage issue :)

As far as I'm aware I never did any of this in Tiger and everything printed as it appeared on the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.