Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
Hello,

Basically I have been using iSquint to convert some movies to work for Apple TV.

I downloaded the movie Zeitgeist Final Edition, a DVD rip, (it's legal and is openly being distributed over torrents)

The file size is 700MB in it's original AVI form,

Now I took this video and converted it to MP4 to work on Apple TV, using iSquint, to optimize for TV, and Go nuts feature, the file grew to 1.26 gigs. It plays fine on Apple TV.

I then try testing Visual Hub which is supposed to be better and have more features. I also use similar settings, "go nuts" "optimize for Apple TV"

The file comes out to be 3.24 Gigs!

I don't understand this, why does it make it to big, and I'm not sure I see a quality difference between the two :confused:

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Hello,

Basically I have been using iSquint to convert some movies to work for Apple TV.

I downloaded the movie Zeitgeist Final Edition, a DVD rip, (it's legal and is openly being distributed over torrents)

The file size is 700MB in it's original AVI form,

Now I took this video and converted it to MP4 to work on Apple TV, using iSquint, to optimize for TV, and Go nuts feature, the file grew to 1.26 gigs. It plays fine on Apple TV.

I then try testing Visual Hub which is supposed to be better and have more features. I also use similar settings, "go nuts" "optimize for Apple TV"

The file comes out to be 3.24 Gigs!

I don't understand this, why does it make it to big, and I'm not sure I see a quality difference between the two :confused:

I'm not a visualhub expert, but it might be that the bitrate of the resulting file is higher than the source. In this case a higher bitrate doesn't increase quality. Try setting the output bitrate to the same as the input file and it will probably be lower.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Try Handbrake 0.9.3. I've been seeing more and more errors with VisualHub as the ffmpeg binary it uses ages compared to the updated Handbrake software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.