PDA

View Full Version : Using FILE VAULT - After the fact w/ Time Machine

McGilli
Dec 5, 2008, 06:38 PM
I had planned to use FILE VAULT as soon as I got my new MBA - before I started adding programs and data to it. Anyways, i got sidetracked and as is - my new MBA is backing up to a Time Capsule without encryption.

About 40gb worth of system/data files.

If i NOW enable file vault - I am guessing that the Time Machine will backup an entirely new 40gb worth of data to the Time Capsule - but can anyone confirm this?

From what I know FILE VAULT creates an 'encrypted container' around your user and system files?

ducatidoc
Dec 5, 2008, 11:15 PM
havent actually done this, and by all accounts i am a noob so take this with a grain of salt, but in my ultimate noob-ness i have been reading a book on os x to educate myself (after my recent switch to mac) and the book explicitly warned of this exact issue occurring with file vault and time machine.

priller
Dec 6, 2008, 09:37 PM
Filevault doesn't just create one big encrypted container, it creates lots of 8mb containers so I assume it would just backup only the ones that have changed.

afaik if you've got filevault enabled timemachine wont do backups until you log out.