Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
I've been using FCE for some time now, but never to make anything to long or professional, and now I am trying to make a commercial video and I'm kind of stuck. The files I'm working with are .avi and .mpeg-4. None of which work correctly with FCE. And I can't seem to convert them to DV and don't loose a considerable amount of quality. If I convert to Apple Intermediate Coed I don't loose much quality, but file sizes are HUGE.

Which configuration for the timeline should I use? Apple Intermediate Codec? Or DV NTSC Anamorphic? I'm doing a widescreen video BTW. Also, when exporting, what format should I use? H.264?

Also, I'm doing some videos from still images. Should I do them in DV-NTSC? or AIC?

Thanks for any help.:)

MrLatte23

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2007
AIC if you can afford it...

would be the best way to go. Big files usually mean better quality. And since they're coming from already compressed files you want to maintain some quality since you're going to edit them again.

Anamorphic would work for a widescreen format. check a few files or small sequence all the way your pipeline (workflow) before transcoding everything.

H.264 is a delivery codec, but it's not intended for burning to a DVD. What you're final product will be determines what your should output it as. Mpeg2 for DVD authoring for instance.

Same goes for the still images... it depends on where their going next.

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
would be the best way to go. Big files usually mean better quality. And since they're coming from already compressed files you want to maintain some quality since you're going to edit them again.

Anamorphic would work for a widescreen format. check a few files or small sequence all the way your pipeline (workflow) before transcoding everything.

H.264 is a delivery codec, but it's not intended for burning to a DVD. What you're final product will be determines what your should output it as. Mpeg2 for DVD authoring for instance.

Same goes for the still images... it depends on where their going next.

Thanks.

I used AIC since it seems to be the only one that maintains the video quality. Rendering was pretty fast this way, but exporting the video takes forever.

The video is one hour long, and is intended to be burned to a DVD. Bur where is the option of MPEG-2? I only see MPEG-4.:eek:

EDIT: OK, I think I now understand. I exported from FCE as a Quicktime Movie, without self-containing it. Then opened iDVD and chose burn from movie. Right now it is encoding the movie, and seems to be taking a looooong time. How long should it take for a 1 hour video?

timseley

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2008
kansas city, ks
That is a big "depends." :) For a project that long I'd say just start it when you're going to bed or leaving for a few hours, and should be done by the time you return.

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
That is a big "depends." :) For a project that long I'd say just start it when you're going to bed or leaving for a few hours, and should be done by the time you return.

Just what I did.:) Not sure how long it taked, but it was done at the morning.

Now, I saw a quite bad loss of quality. Is this to be expected? I've made DVD before and they looked better after burning.

I used iDVD at "Best Quality". This as seen in my MacBook. The left one is from the DVD, the right one is the movie exported from FCE.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    50.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    29 KB · Views: 80

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Just what I did.:) Not sure how long it taked, but it was done at the morning.

Now, I saw a quite bad loss of quality. Is this to be expected? I've made DVD before and they looked better after burning.

I used iDVD at "Best Quality". This as seen in my MacBook. The left one is from the DVD, the right one is the movie exported from FCE.

Quality loss is to be expected because DVDs are very compressed. Also, the example you are using, high contrast, red, gfx/font w/fine edges is almost a 'perfect storm' worst case scenario for DVD compression.

Lethal

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
OK, so I played the DVD in my widescreen TV, and it is all cropped. The right and left side are cropped. It looks just OK when playing it in my laptop.

The steps I followed is export from FCE as a quicktime movie. Then opened in quicktime and changed it's size to 1280x720. And in iDVD I selected widescreen and burned the DVD. Anything I am missing?

The timeline in FCE is APple Intermediate Coded 1080 i60.

Thanks a lot.

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
OK, so I played the DVD in my widescreen TV, and it is all cropped. The right and left side are cropped. It looks just OK when playing it in my laptop.

The steps I followed is export from FCE as a quicktime movie. Then opened in quicktime and changed it's size to 1280x720. And in iDVD I selected widescreen and burned the DVD. Anything I am missing?

The timeline in FCE is APple Intermediate Coded 1080 i60.

Thanks a lot.

I'm guessing you're bleeding into the TV Safe area for your video... that's probably part of why it's "cropped".

There's an option to show this in wireframe in your viewer in Final Cut.

If your final output medium is DVD, you also have to remember that you're burning your HD video as SD. You don't need to worry about "changing the size" in quicktime. Just make sure the aspect ratio is set for 16:9.

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Thanks huntercr.

One doubt, why does it looks OK in me laptop, but not in TV?

So, all my videos should stay inside the outer guide, and titles should stay inside the inner guide?

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
OK, I made a quick video were everything was inside the title safe area (the inner guide). And even then, the TV cropped some space from the left and right.

I must be missing something, but I'm not sure what.:(

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
Thanks huntercr.

One doubt, why does it looks OK in me laptop, but not in TV?

So, all my videos should stay inside the outer guide, and titles should stay inside the inner guide?

Your laptop will play the whole video and not have anything cut off. The outer guide ( and inner guide for that matter ) is a hold over from Analog TV. You never know how much of the border of a TV tube/LCD screen/etc is going to be covered by the physical frame of the TV, so you just assume that there will be some cut off. You shouldn't shrink your video all the way to the TV safe border ( outer ), you should just remember that some of the video past that border won't likely be seen by your viewer. This is just something to remember when framing your shot. You don't want "important" things outside of the outer border.

As for the title safe area, I have no idea if this is truly where it came from, but it's what I was told ( I'm not a TV/Film professional, just a hobbiest ):
Title safe is there because it used to be that TV tubes were so rounded that outside of the "title safe" area, they would get noticeably distorted. That's not true anymore with LCDs/OLEDs/etc, but it stays around because it's logical to have things you want to be "required reading" be in the center.

Anyway you said it didn't fix things.. can you create a comparison set of pictures for us to see just how clipped you're talking about?
From your last post, it sounds like it's getting severely clipped.

I would assume it's what LethalWolfe said... your TV is auto zooming for some reason.

Hope this helps!

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Make sure on your DVD player and/or TV that you don't have any sort of 'zoom' feature enabled.

Lethal

Hope this helps!

Thanks Lethal and huntercr. Yes, the DVD players were set to 4:3 TV aspect, so I changed it to 16:9 and now everything appears as it should.:)

And thanks for all the other information shared in the thread, it helped me understand how these things work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.