Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kidmaster12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
im playing a game called battlescape and it's like only way you can play is that you have to install java battlescape is somthing like runescape but private server but the only way i can play is that it had a .bat file and one of my friends said i had to change it o .sh file i was like wondering how do i turn it into a .sh file please help me im about to post a picture to help you find out

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
You haven't even posted the .bat file. Depending on what it is, maybe just renaming it and fixing the permissions on it. It may require more massaging. We just have no idea. We can try to help once there is something to help with. Post the file, and/or link to a site and we'll see what we can do.

Also, 8 minutes? Take it down a bit.

-Lee

bootedbear

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2004
Austin, TX
No Java.

.bat is a DOS shell script, .sh is a Unix shell script.

As far as I know, there is no automatic way to covert DOS commands to Unix shell commands.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
8 minutes plus at least two other posts in other forums.

Anyway, a bat file generally can't be changed to a sh file without rewriting it totally - bat files are DOS, sh are Linux/Unix shell scripts.

kidmaster12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
You haven't even posted the .bat file. Depending on what it is, maybe just renaming it and fixing the permissions on it. It may require more massaging. We just have no idea. We can try to help once there is something to help with. Post the file, and/or link to a site and we'll see what we can do.

Also, 8 minutes? Take it down a bit.

-Lee

ok ill post download link its only 435 kb size im only 13 i dont know to much about this http://uppit.com/SQPESN its for game called runescape i need to know how to open it.

i dont know how to open or get information on it all i did s write click on the file doesnt say anything

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
ok ill post download link its only 435 kb size im only 13 i dont know to much about this http://uppit.com/SQPESN its for game called runescape i need to know how to open it.
That file is a .zip archive. You first need to unarchive it (double-click on it in the Finder if it doesn't do it automatically). Inside that folder are 3 files: a .jar (Java) file, a Config.bat file, and a readme file. The Read Me says you don't even need the .bat file unless your client is crashing. The Config.bat file is readable as text, here is the contents:

Code:
@echo off
Title BattleScape Client
java -Xmx500m -jar client.jar
pause
exit

But, that won't run on a Mac as a .sh (shell script) anyway. What you're supposed to do with the .jar file to get your game to run, I have no idea, sorry (it won't launch using Jar Launcher.app for me).

Zortrium

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
If double clicking the jar file doesn't work, just try running the command

inside Terminal from the directory with the jar file.

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
i can't test this because I don't have the proper OS/Architecture to run java 1.6 on my Mac. You need to be on leopard on a 64-bit chip (most new Core 2 Duos, etc. i think). If you have Leopard, you may have java 1.6, so just try to run:

from terminal in the folder you've saved the client.jar file to.

If you get errors, you can post them here, but at this point if it doesn't work its unlikely you can do anything to fix it.

-Lee

kidmaster12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
i can't test this because I don't have the proper OS/Architecture to run java 1.6 on my Mac. You need to be on leopard on a 64-bit chip (most new Core 2 Duos, etc. i think). If you have Leopard, you may have java 1.6, so just try to run:

from terminal in the folder you've saved the client.jar file to.

If you get errors, you can post them here, but at this point if it doesn't work its unlikely you can do anything to fix it.

-Lee

and how do i do that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.