Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jermsmingy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2002
Houston
Okay guys, flame me if you want, but I am wondering why apple would not want to enter the PDA market. They entered the mp3 player market and was very successful. Also, the planned released for the palm conduit for entourage is July 15. Isn't that the keynote for MWNY? I could see apple coming out with a PDA and demonstrating it that day. If anyone can make money in this market it is apple. They have great control on how many they would produce, and it could be used as part of the digitial hub. Does anyone remember when they demonstrated quicktime 6's mp4 streaming technology to an ericsson phone. What if the PDA had wireless internet? How many of you would buy one? If you wouldn't buy one why not? And do you own a PDA already?

DavPeanut

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2002
Maryland
Would be nice

I think that would be nice, but I'm not sure if it will happen :rolleyes: . If they do, they should have a five gig HD+, and make it like an iPod 2. Then it might be able play music, store info, show movies, connect to the internet,...

I just don't know. I'm only 14 (in 4 days actually), so I can't really get a lot of time to make friends w/ people at apple. Plus, I like on the opposite side of the country from apple.:(

Hypatia

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2002
UK
PDA's

Who wouldn't buy a PROPER PDA?
Most of the stuff currently available are riduculously overpriced address books that you can't actually do anything much with. How many people actually need a £250 gadget that can hold ten thousand addresses but basically not much else.

Imagine something like a ipod crossed with a Psion-
With even an eight year old psion you could write a report, on a KEYBOARD! and print it out to any printer with a parallel port. Later ones e-mail and fax and do all sorts, they are just rather grey and the screens are low res and black and white but they are still the best around of the type and you can stick them in the back pocket of your jeans.
They were hopeless at connecting with a Mac but brilliant even without that.

An iPod crossed with a Psion with a colour screen, bluetooth and proper picture and music support.

Some people called OQO.com have done something in that direction but put Windows XP on it for some sad reason plus no keyboard but at least someone is trying.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
dude, this rumor has been alive FOREVER....just give up on it.

When I see it I'll believe it. I'm sure one day it'll happen again....but probably once apples market share is doubled as Steve said it will be....

Possibly MWSF03, but not MWNY....unless Apple would like to prove me wrong...;)

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Re: Would be nice

Originally posted by DavPeanut
I think that would be nice, but I'm not sure if it will happen :rolleyes: . If they do, they should have a five gig HD+, and make it like an iPod 2. Then it might be able play music, store info, show movies, connect to the internet,...

I just don't know. I'm only 14 (in 4 days actually), so I can't really get a lot of time to make friends w/ people at apple. Plus, I like on the opposite side of the country from apple.:(
Welcome, DavPeanut. Good to see a young recruit.

Chris

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by teabgs
dude, this rumor has been alive FOREVER....just give up on it.

True, but the G5 rumor's getting pretty long in the tooth too. :)

And Apple went there once, and they had a kickass product that was ahead of its time, and it never flew. In my opinion they repeated themselves with the Cube. So us old Apple faithfuls will always hope against hope that they go there again... and this time, make it!!

But I don't think Steve's decision was totally out of line, either. PDA's are still a relatively new technology, and there still is a lot to learn about it.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by Hemingray
True, but the G5 rumor's getting pretty long in the tooth too. :)
Difference is, the G5 will actually come out one day...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Beej
Difference is, the G5 will actually come out one day...

well, you might be wrong there, slim chance that we might get something else other than motorola you know...but not good odds and I wouldn't place any bets on it either.....

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by dukestreet

well, you might be wrong there, slim chance that we might get something else other than motorola you know...but not good odds and I wouldn't place any bets on it either.....

Even if it is from Mototrola it may be an entirely new chip line or a renamed G-series chip. Again not good odds though.

swahilibill

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2002
Highlands Ranch
Just Relax

I honestly would like to see an Apple PDa, it would be better than the crap that is out there right now. But you guys gotta let it go. Maybe it will happen, maybe not, but don't obsess, it is just a PDA. i believe that in Steve Jobs Head, the iPod has taken over the small electronic market right now, he has this thing about no PDA's. I do believe that he is either creating one right now to realease to what he thinks will shock us all. Or, I think that he and Jon Ive will come up with something that will be as "EVOlutionary" as the iMac G4 I am using right now. I am not saying to not be creative and hopeful, but relax and let old Jobsee hande it.

BwanaZulia

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2002
Have you seen the stock of PALM and HAND? They are both trading under $2. There is no WAY Apple is going to get into this market until the market itself shapes up. Sony, Handspring and Palm are battling it out and no one is making any money. It would seriously hurt Apple stock (doing pretty good) if they announced they were getting into the PDA market.

Would I like one? Yes.

Would I buy one? Yes.

Should Apple update the iPod (which I love) with more functionality to include memos, todos, and make it Sync with Palm Desktop, Address Book, etc? Yes they should (and probably will). But PDAs are going into much more of a wireless world (cell phones) and I don't think Apple would have anything to offer in the Cell Phone area.

BZ

Hypatia

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2002
UK
PDA's

I don't think Apple will produce a PDA of the sophistication I am thinking of, the iPod crossed with a Psion I would like to see.
The poor current performance of Palm etc is down to the limitations of the devices.
I really, really want a good PDA. I went and looked at all the expensive colourfull and pretty useless offerings on sale right now and then went and bought a secondhand Psion 5mx on eBay.

There is a gap in the market for a device a lot of people want and for which the technology exists. We just want Apple to do it because theyre the only one's with the vision, but they aren't interested because they have bigger fish to fry.

Maybe we should put together our own company and make our own handhelds and then we can make them just how we want them and make a few million $ on the side.:D

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
Hell yeah!!!

It would be lovely to have an Apple PDA, running something like OSX on it.

They should make a full functional PDA, like mp3 player, 10 gig HDD, writing reconition, touch screen, voice reconition, wireless internet connection 1.5mps and so on!!:D

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
it's already been said...

but why the hell not say it again...

Jobs said "NO PDA!!!"

honestly...why can this not be put to rest already...

haven't there been enough threads wishing for this mythical piece of hardware already?!

don't u guys have anything better to do?! :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Ha, you got to love it eye, this subject is like a bad weed or cockroaches, no matter how many time you kill it, it somehow manages to come back....you're fighting a losing battle.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Re: Re: it's already been said...

Originally posted by AudiA4

Well "eye", this comes full circle. The REAL question is why don't YOU have anything better to do.

OOOOH SNAP! He got you with that one buddy....:p

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Apple is going to release a PDA, and sell it only to hip hop moguls.

It is going to be called the:

P. Dapple

MikeMac

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2002
eye, I think you should make an AppleScript that scours the forums for any mention of the infamous Apple PDA and posts the default "Jobs said: NO PDA!!!"

As an aisde, here's a FORTUNE interview with Jobs around the time the iPod first came out. In it he says (you guessed it) NO PDA (but he did think about it).

http://www.fortune.com/indexw.jhtml?channel=artcol.jhtml&doc_id=204904

That being said, who here would like to replace the PDA rumor with one for an Apple subnotebook? :cool:

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by MikeMac
eye, I think you should make an AppleScript that scours the forums for any mention of the infamous Apple PDA and posts the default "Jobs said: NO PDA!!!"

now that's a great idea!!! :D

and as for u AudiA4...I think u deserve a pie in the face...compliments of the mighty mischief... :eek: ;)

boobers

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2002
PDA's are kinna lame

monochrome screen with an address book and a game of pong? With a weakass operating system..woopdedoo..No way apple will release another PDA........BUT i could see apple introducing a pocket Computer or as OQO puts it "ultra personal computer" In fact this seems very, very likely to me.
Think Different folks. Then you will get the idea.
Slugger

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Re: PDA's are kinna lame

Originally posted by boobers
monochrome screen with an address book and a game of pong? With a weakass operating system..woopdedoo..No way apple will release another PDA........BUT i could see apple introducing a pocket Computer or as OQO puts it "ultra personal computer" In fact this seems very, very likely to me.
Think Different folks. Then you will get the idea.
Slugger

at least boob understands me!!

All kidding aside, it would be a waste to put effort into something described at first above. I'm predicting more of an "all-in-one" type of system: cellular, internet ready, data storage...

but please...for the love of God...NO PDA!!! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.