Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mistermonica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2008
I bought a 1st Gen Macbook Air in March of this year and I recently have noticed that my battery is not lasting as long as it should, so I checked iStat and it said that my battery life is at 86%. I also have a 12 inch powerbook
G4 that still has the same battery it came with and the battery life is also 86% and it is more than five years old. Is this normal for the Macbook Air or should I take it into Apple?

Thanks!

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
I bought a 1st Gen Macbook Air in March of this year and I recently have noticed that my battery is not lasting as long as it should, so I checked iStat and it said that my battery life is at 86%. I also have a 12 inch powerbook
G4 that still has the same battery it came with and the battery life is also 86% and it is more than five years old. Is this normal for the Macbook Air or should I take it into Apple?

Thanks!

Have you calibrated the battery?

Give the battery a full charge.
Unplug and run the computer until it shows 1% of battery remaining.
Shut down the MBA but do not plug it in.
Allow the battery to rest and cool off for three to four hours.
Plug in the MBA - but do not turn it on - and let it charge fully, until the charge light changes from yellow to green.

My MBA (bought the same time as you) went from 90% to 93% last time I did this. Calibrate once a month and you should extend the life and health of your MBA battery.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I bought mine in early march it's at 92%. I condition the battery every month as Apple suggest you do, it does seem to help imo.

lidomkj

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2008
The battery life was one of the major reasons I got rid of the Air and switched to the Macbook.

I had the battery replaced 3 times among other repairs. I was only getting 1.5 hours most of the time and it would take forever to fully charge.

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
The battery life was one of the major reasons I got rid of the Air and switched to the Macbook.

I had the battery replaced 3 times among other repairs. I was only getting 1.5 hours most of the time and it would take forever to fully charge.

Weird. MacBook screens are so inferior.

My March '08 RevA Air is at 170 cycles and is at 93% Health. I can get 3-3.5 hours on it usually (and that's with BT/Wifi On and screen at 3/4 brightness).

coupdetat

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
I can get about 3.5 hours with wifi but no bluetooth. However, more often when I'm unplugged for long periods of time, it's because I need to do real work (i.e. wifi off). When wireless is off and screen is at 60% brightness, I can get 4.5 hours. I have the 80gb version.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
Hi,

My 1st gen MBA has over 1000 cycles and is now requiring a replacement.

Any ideas where I can purchase such a battery?

I saw ifixit.com shows this change as an easy do, and this would avoid having to cleanup the hard disk from work files if I submitted the mac to Apple.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Hi,

I saw ifixit.com shows this change as an easy do, and this would avoid having to cleanup the hard disk from work files if I submitted the mac to Apple.

Looks like iFixIt has 11 left...

Edit: Well, 11 used batteries...they are out of stock on new ones.

tiwizard

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Hi,

Just for future reference, you may want to start a new thread if you have a question versus bumping one that is four years old.

For a 1st Gen MBA, you probably will have to look around a bit. Try EBay and Craigslist, as well as iFixit and possibly Apple (but they may have to order you one because I bet they don't stock them any more).

tiwizard

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
?

Its the very same subject !

Generally it's good forum etiquette to start a new thread regardless. Often people will continue to respond to earlier posts not realizing it's a really old thread. For example, someone could come along and respond to Satori and not realize the last time they posted in this thread was in 2008.

It's just a suggestion.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
The best way would be just to take it to Apple.

It will be $129 dollars if you are in the US.

I have had a lot of batteries changed over the years at Apple stores and I have never had a problem with them erasing my HDD/SSD. Just make sure you have a good backup and then take it to the store. If they have to order the battery they may let you keep it till the part arrives. If the the battery is in stock they can sometimes change it while you wait.

Everything you need to know...

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookair/service/battery/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.