Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suzerain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2000
Beijing, China
Months ago, when the version 2.0 software was released, I upgraded, because I was happy about Apple TV supporting AirTunes. But, the upgrade was a disaster in that the Apple TV became completely unusable.

Problem 1: Menus would stick forever, whenever displaying "My" content (i.e., my music, my movies), presumably because it was terribly inefficient at building the image slideshow thing to the left

Problem 2: During playback of a video file (again, in "My" stuff), it would just hang or stop completely at seemingly random times.

Anyway, I backtracked to version one of the software, because version 1 has always been rock solid for me.

So, the point is, the software is now on version 2.3, and I downloaded it, and lo and behold, those two problems still exist, which makes the Apple TV again completely useless for the one main thing I use it for...watching stuff from podcast downloads / DVD rips / my music, etc. Was there ever any fix for this?

VTMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
I've never had this problem. Perhaps it's related to the size of your library. I've got about 100 Movies and about 4000 songs .. never a pause or delay. At one stage I did have pauses, but I discovered it had nothing to do with Apple TV. I have my media on an external USB harddrive. Apparently that hard drive would go to sleep and it was very, very slow to wake up. I've since disabled the ability to for the drive to sleep and all problems are solved.

suzerain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2000
Beijing, China
I've never had this problem. Perhaps it's related to the size of your library. I've got about 100 Movies and about 4000 songs .. never a pause or delay. At one stage I did have pauses, but I discovered it had nothing to do with Apple TV. I have my media on an external USB harddrive. Apparently that hard drive would go to sleep and it was very, very slow to wake up. I've since disabled the ability to for the drive to sleep and all problems are solved.

Yeah, I'm not the only one that had this problem; there were at the time of 2.0 release many people complaining about it.

At any given time I have about 7000 songs, which is indeed a lot, but only maybe 10 movies (I store most on my Mac), and maybe 30-50 podcasts. My (admittedly half-baked) theory was that the 2.0 software is really inefficient at building those cover image slideshows when the cover image is stored as part of the file, instead of in the file system, as it does when you select "download artwork" in iTunes.

How are your cover shots stored?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.