PDA

View Full Version : itunes disaster

maelstromr
Feb 20, 2004, 11:08 AM
Due to an admitted error on my part I recently allowed my library to be deleted when i thought I was just restoring system software. The error being I should ahve backed it up, I was NOT erasing the HD or anything.
My whole collection was destroyed, playlists and all. I lost over $60 in purchased itunes music and lot's and lot's and lot's of time on playlists from my cd's and that music.
My ipod still has everything as it was and I'll keep it that way for a while without updating. Can anyone show me how to update the ipod without erasing the old lists/songs?
Does anyone know how I can get stuff back? I haven't called apple, but their policy is pretty clear on "1 download only". I would want to argue that the system knows what I've purchased and I should get my three copies, but they WERE very clear. Is it possible to restore someway from the ipod?
This was very discouraging, made me glad most of my stuff was backed up on data cd's, but also makes me reconsider using itunes if I can't get my purchased material back.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

King Cobra
Feb 20, 2004, 11:21 AM
You are required to download, install, and run this 32KB script:

iPod tracks -> Desktop 1.2.1 (http://www.faqintosh.com/risorse/as/AS_ipodtracks2desktop.sit)

maelstromr
Feb 20, 2004, 11:23 AM
I'll try this when I get home...will this fix it? Can you explain what it does?

If this works I will be praising this particular demi-god for quite some time....

jeffgarden
Feb 20, 2004, 11:35 AM
just make sure to find out what to do if you had iPod set to auto-sync. I dunno if it'll still do it if it deleted all your itunes playlists cause i think it'll tell you that your ipod is associated with another computer and you can tell it not to sync, but be sure you don't lose everything by plugging in the iPod :p

maelstromr
Feb 20, 2004, 11:37 AM
Umm...well it was set to auto sync I believe...the point of all of this is to NOT lose the ipod contents...am I sunk?

King Cobra
Feb 20, 2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by maelstromr
I'll try this when I get home...will this fix it? Can you explain what it does?

To install the script, drag the two script files into "~/Library/iTunes/Scripts/". If the "/Scripts/" part doesn't exist, create a new folder in ~/Library/iTunes/ and name it: Scripts

Effectively, there will be a script icon at the top of your iTunes menubar containing the two scripts.

iPod tracks -> Desktop 1.2.1 is a script set. It copies audio tracks from your iPod to your computer. Once you install the script, connect your iPod to your computer and launch iTunes. Then select any song, or songs, that you want from any playlist in your iPod, and select one of the scripts from the script menu in the iTunes menubar. (One script copies the songs to your desktop, and another copies the songs to a folder of your choice.)

Now, about the auto-sync issue...your playlist sync settings are saved to your iPod. Correct? If so, or even if you're not sure, don't take a chance.

I just performed a simulation of the issue you have, maelstromr, and I think you're going to like the results. What I did was take my own iPod with about 360MB of audio on there, and set the auto-sync option to on. Then I transferred my iPod to my iBook (a SECOND computer with its entire music folder emptied, and all iTunes/iPod preferences removed), which had its entire music directory emptied prior to the simulation. When I connected the iPod (with Auto "on") to my iBook with a completely empty iTunes library, no songs were erased. Instead, I received the following confirmation dialog:

"The iPod "[your iPod]" is linked to another iTunes music library. Do you want to change the link to this iTunes music library and replace all existing songs and playlists on the iPod with those from this library?"

Of course, I clicked "No." Then I selected the iPod in the "Source" column, and clicked the iPod icon at the bottom of the iTunes window. I clicked on "Manually manage songs and playlists" and confirmed to the immediate pop-up dialog (which notified me about the functionality of the manual update...nothing to worry about). Then all of my iPod songs were accessable. [From this point I could run the script safely.]

So, if you set your iPod to auto-sync, do this:

[1] Plug in your iPod to any SECOND computer (meaning, a computer other than the one you last synced the iPod with). You can even plug in your iPod to one of the computers at an Apple store.

[2] You will get the pop-up dialog as I quoted above. Click "No."

[3] At this point, your iPod songs will be dimmed. In iTunes, select your iPod, and hit the iPod button at the bottom of the iTunes window. Click on the manual update radio button. Accept the pop-up message, and confirm your settings. Don't worry: you won't lose any iPod songs in doing so.

[4] If you see all the songs from your iPod brighten up, then you're set. If not, then make sure you set the manual update.

[5] Bring your iPod back to your main machine, and run the script as indicated at the beginning of the post.

Oh, and no need to praise.

maelstromr
Feb 20, 2004, 12:44 PM
Thank you thank you! I will let you know how things go when I make it home from work.

This is the reason forums like these exist...your expertise has *hopefully* saved me a good chunk of change and some significant time and frustration. I only wish I had posted earlier.

bankshot
Feb 20, 2004, 05:25 PM
To disable the iPod auto-sync one time, just hold down Command-Option when you connect it (make sure iTunes is running). Release the buttons AFTER you see the iPod's icon in iTunes. No need to go looking for another machine. ;)

There are several utilities to restore songs from the iPod to your hard disk, such as the one posted, and I'm sure they work fine. But being a unix command line kind of guy, I always found it easiest just to go to the source. Your iPod mounts in /Volumes/iPodName -- for example mine is called 'Ginkgo' so it mounts in /Volumes/Ginkgo. Here's what I've done:

ditto -v -V -rsrcFork /Volumes/Ginkgo/iPod_Control ~/Desktop/iPod_Control
In iTunes, make sure the preference to copy files to the library is turned on.
In iTunes, do Add To Library... and select the copy of iPod_Control on your Desktop. Voila! iTunes will read all of the music files in there, including all the track info, and sort the files back into your library.

Of course, if you're not a unix person, just use the program that was linked. :)

maelstromr
Feb 20, 2004, 09:27 PM
Hey guys, thanks a lot...I've got her connected with no problem, lists and tracks intact. However, the scripts are not working. When I run it it says after I choose the folder

"find: /volumes/maelstrom's ipod/ipod_control/Music/: No such file or directory"

As I don't understand the unix instructions I haven't gotten my songs back. Any suggestions/help?

Seth

King Cobra
Feb 20, 2004, 09:50 PM
That's odd. I've nearly always had luck with those scripts (v1.2.1).

Well, that's also no big deal. There's a third script you can download, install, and run here (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19467) (33KB).

I just tried out the third script for the first time. I got a pop-up for selecting your iTunes Music Library folder when running the script. What I did was select a different folder, and the desktop, and the script ran fine.

Let me know how it turns out.

maelstromr
Feb 20, 2004, 09:54 PM
now it says

"the value theSong is not defined"

bankshot
Feb 20, 2004, 09:58 PM
"find: /volumes/maelstromr's ipod/ipod_control/Music/: No such file or directory"

I'm not sure why the script isn't working for you. A quick test and it worked fine for me. I even tried renaming my iPod with spaces and apostrophes to make sure that wasn't the problem. However, as long as the songs are really still there, the unix method should still work. ;) Here's a little more guidance to help you through it:

Make sure iTunes is open (and the iPod is not auto-updating).

Go to /Applications/Utilities and open Terminal.

At the command prompt, type the ditto command I had above. For you, it looks like it would be:

ditto -v -V -rsrcFork /Volumes/maelstromr\\'s\ ipod/iPod_Control ~/Desktop/iPod_Control

All one line. The backslashes are important, otherwise the quotes and spaces will mess it up. But it's easier if you just type part of the name and then hit tab. The rest is filled in for you. For example, I would type this out literally as:

ditto -v -V -rsrcFork /Vol<TAB>maelstromr<TAB>iPod<TAB> ~/Desktop/iPod_Control

The resulting command line should look like the full version above. The tab key is your friend. :D

Once that finishes, go to iTunes and select File -> Add to Library.... Go to your Desktop, select iPod_Control, and hit Open.

That should do it. Not too painful, and should work in a pinch when other methods fail. :cool:

If you still have trouble (if it doesn't find the iPod folder or something), you can use the unix 'ls' command to look at the folders and see what the exact names are. For example, ls /Volumes shows you everything in /Volumes, and you should be able to figure out the iPod's exact name from that.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

King Cobra
Feb 20, 2004, 10:03 PM
That new script you downloaded isn't fully reliable. You may need to change your download locations for it to work.

Well, then, let's navigate further into the possible alternatives. This one is shareware: iPodRip (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20083). You can use the application for 10 launches before you have to pony up the $9.00. :rolleyes: I haven't tested it out thoroughly, but it should work. Give it a shot.

And, maybe you should start practicing voodoo. :p

maelstromr
Feb 20, 2004, 10:10 PM
Well, thank you both very very much, the solution seems to be good old Unix anyway.
It's running that command now...I renamed the ipod to make it easier. I already copied some files back onto this computer, should i delete those as they will duplicate when I run that command in iTunes in a few second?

maelstromr
Feb 20, 2004, 10:16 PM
New problem, the command ran and I can't find the folder on my desktop.

it ran:

[NAME-Computer:~] maelstromr% ditto -v -V -rsrcFork /Volumes/MaelstromR/iPod_Control ~/Desktop/iPod_Control
>>> Copying /Volumes/MaelstromR/iPod_Control

blah blah blah, all the song names

and ended with the last song:

copying file iPod_Control/Music/F19/Tribute.mp3 ... 4962220 bytes
[NAME-Computer:~] maelstromr%

where oh where are they?

King Cobra
Feb 20, 2004, 10:24 PM
Have you tried using the various scripts (i.e. the NON-UNIX ways)? Also, for curious purposes, what version of OS X do you have?

Finally, if all else fails, search through a few of the other options (http://www.versiontracker.com/php/search.php?mode=basic&action=search&str=iPod+iTunes&plt%5B%5D=macosx&x=0&y=0), or even do an Altavista engine search, for files that do something similar.

That's about all the advice I have left man.

bankshot
Feb 20, 2004, 11:24 PM
where oh where are they?

Should be right there on your desktop, in a folder called iPod_Control. If you click on the desktop itself, that folder doesn't show up? Sometimes the Finder won't update until you click on it. What if you do a 'ls ~/Desktop/iPod_Control' from the Terminal? If it doesn't show up there, then something's gotta be seriously wrong. :confused: The command you posted looked perfect. Failing all that, try searching your hard drive for 'iPod_Control' or just one of the mp3 file names. They have to be somewhere since the copy ran just fine.

There are other options as King Cobra said (his versiontracker link should give you all you could possibly want) but I just thought it would be easier to use the tools you already have. I'm totally perplexed, especially since Friday the 13th was last week! :p

maelstromr
Feb 21, 2004, 11:19 AM
Couldn't find them anywhere...and I'm not THAT incompetent. They must be taking several gigs of space up somewhere, but find and my searching came up with zilch.

I took KingCobra's advice and even shelled out cash for iPod.iTunes from

http://www.crispsofties.com/

It was a little expensive, but i got ALL my songs and ALL my playlists back. It was worth it on a frustration level alone, and i still saved money from buying the songs back. Cris was very polite and helpful...and his software is EXCELLENT.

Thank you thank you to everyone who helped. I learned a lot AND solved my problem. The macrumors community rules!!!!

Seth

bankshot
Feb 21, 2004, 02:43 PM
Glad to hear you got it all fixed in the end. :)

Couldn't find them anywhere...and I'm not THAT incompetent. They must be taking several gigs of space up somewhere, but find and my searching came up with zilch.

Now this is gonna bug the crap out of me... :eek: I know that command should have dropped all those files in a iPod_Control folder on your desktop. If it didn't, then it was somehow seriously broken. What I wouldn't give for 2 minutes in front of your machine to try to figure out what the heck happened...

I usually try not to give unix-style solutions if they might be too complicated to someone who isn't familiar with that side of OS X. In most cases it's easier to most people to download a little gui tool, even if just a couple of unix commands will do the same job. But this was pretty much drop-dead simple, with just one command to type; and since the first gui tools didn't work, I figured you couldn't go wrong! Doh! Now people are gonna read this and assume we unix types are a bunch of crazies to be ignored! :p

Those files have got to be there somewhere taking up some space. I'd search again, but I'm sure you did that already as you say. Chalk it up to just one of those things where computers don't behave as expected, I guess... :rolleyes:

maelstromr
Feb 21, 2004, 04:08 PM
It is really odd, and there is absolutely NO indication that theUnix command failed. Of course, those first scripts didn't work under the same conditions either, so maybe I have an odd setting somewhere...

bankshot
Apr 14, 2004, 11:51 PM
Not to bring up an old thread, but I had something happen that reminded me of this.

Yesterday I used the above trick to get some songs off the iPod and into my main iTunes library (I had bought a CD, ripped it to my work PowerBook, copied to the iPod, and then needed to put the songs on my home machine). I did the ditto command as usual, but the resulting folder never showed up on the Desktop. Weird. So I went back to Terminal and checked from there. Yep, the directory existed. Just never showed up in the Finder or the iTunes 'Add To Library' dialog. Crazy. :confused:

I ended up creating a new directory from the Terminal and moving the files from the first directory (the one that existed but never showed up in Finder) to the new one. Now everything could be seen in the Finder and I could get the files into iTunes.

I have to wonder if (a) this is a bug or (b) the files on the iPod have some special attribute that ditto copies over, which makes the directory invisible to the Finder. The Developer Tools include a program to check/set these sorts of attributes, but for some reason it only works on files and not directories. So I couldn't check it. Oh well!

If you ever read this, I wonder if this is what happened to you, and if those files are still there but invisible to the Finder...

Bhennies
Apr 15, 2004, 12:33 AM
download Tinkertool for free. Here's the instructions on how to get the files off your ipod.

http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/features/story/0,24330,3393561,00.html

pepita
Apr 16, 2004, 03:34 AM
Showing hidden files is the easiest way, or you can also get this application:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22152

and be sure to use the trick in the ReadMe to disable auto-synch (hold down specific keys - can't remember which - when you first connect your iPod, and then change iPod settings in iTunes to "manual update" - else your empty library will erase the one on the iPod)

the application is useful both to get iPod tracks onto your disk, and to keep them synched later

philscan
Aug 28, 2004, 10:34 AM
Doh! Now people are gonna read this and assume we unix types are a bunch of crazies to be ignored! :p

No way! I'm a unix type and i've successfully pulled off all kinds of hacking using the command line :cool:

But another solution definately worth a mention is to use BBEdit if you have it, or if you download a demo version at barebones.com. From BBEdit you can do File > New Disk Browser. This will show all your hidden files on all volumes (including your ipod). From here you can drag n drop to anywhere.

jbembe
Aug 28, 2004, 10:57 AM
Due to an admitted error on my part I recently allowed my library to be deleted when i thought I was just restoring system software. The error being I should ahve backed it up, I was NOT erasing the HD or anything.
My whole collection was destroyed, playlists and all. I lost over $60 in purchased itunes music and lot's and lot's and lot's of time on playlists from my cd's and that music.
My ipod still has everything as it was and I'll keep it that way for a while without updating. Can anyone show me how to update the ipod without erasing the old lists/songs?
Does anyone know how I can get stuff back? I haven't called apple, but their policy is pretty clear on "1 download only". I would want to argue that the system knows what I've purchased and I should get my three copies, but they WERE very clear. Is it possible to restore someway from the ipod?
This was very discouraging, made me glad most of my stuff was backed up on data cd's, but also makes me reconsider using itunes if I can't get my purchased material back.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

THIS IS MY WORST NIGHTMARE!!

I have more music than can be stored on my iPod & more playlists than can fit as well. Does anyone know how to backup iTunes XML or whatever information such that if this ever happens I will not lose ~8300 star ratings, ~27000 playcounts, ~100 playlists completely? As you can imagine, generating this information took a tremendous amount of time, if it ever completely vanished I'd be crushed.

King Cobra
Aug 28, 2004, 11:20 AM
[user]/Music/iTunes/

And inside there will be a bunch of library files and xml files. Back them all up (they should only take up a couple of megs of space), and bring them back to your music folder once you have reinstalled your software. Same goes for the iTunes preferences files com.apple.iTunes.plist and com.apple.iTunes.eq.plist inside of

[user]/Library/Preferences

...but return the files back to that directory (not the Music folder) when done.

jbembe
Aug 28, 2004, 03:08 PM
King Cobra-

I'm assuming you posted a way of saving my iTunes settings/ratings/playlists/ratings, etc. Does the program Backup (free from .Mac) take care of this automatically?

Thanks for the help. I'll sleep better at night.

King Cobra
Aug 28, 2004, 04:14 PM
I don't use or trust automatic backup software of any kind, and I have not used Backup. So I have no idea if Backup would do that automatically. The only one person that I trust in backing up my data automatically is: me. That means I compile a list of everything I need, then back up all the items manually. Then I manually transfer the files [back] to where I want/need them. Since the system works, no need to complain.