PDA

View Full Version : how many servers does macrumors run on?

twoodcc
Dec 7, 2008, 07:03 PM
i was just curious how many servers host macrumors? also, i was just curious how much bandwidth do they go thru in a day?

i have been setting up my own web server, and was just curious how my server would stack up to a lot of traffic (and what exactly is a lot of traffic?)

rpaloalto
Dec 7, 2008, 11:09 PM
As of july 08, Which probably has doubled by now:D

5 servers.
2 for forums
1 for database
1 for www.macrumors.com (front page + articles)
1 for other (attachments, guides, other)

A combination of quad and 8 core.

37 million page views the past month.

read post 5 from the big man himself
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=520927

alphaod
Dec 8, 2008, 12:09 AM
I'm surprised MR doesn't use Amazon SC2

Knox
Dec 8, 2008, 02:50 AM
The servers haven't changed since July, although there is now a further server that handles some of arn's other sites.

I'm surprised MR doesn't use Amazon SC2

You mean EC2 & S3 :) Those services are best suited to handle significantly variable traffic rather than the 'normal' hosting of sites; they are quite expensive if you're running fast servers all the time. We do use them extensively for the keynotes however.

twoodcc
Dec 8, 2008, 11:15 AM
As of july 08, Which probably has doubled by now:D

5 servers.
2 for forums
1 for database
1 for www.macrumors.com (front page + articles)
1 for other (attachments, guides, other)

A combination of quad and 8 core.

37 million page views the past month.

read post 5 from the big man himself
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=520927

thanks for the link and info. i guess i wasn't the only one curious about this.

wow, 5 servers. 1 for just the database. i wonder how big that database is then.

37 million page views a month? thats like 444 million a year! thats a billion every 2.25 years!

deorg
Dec 8, 2008, 11:25 AM
I was wondering if they have it like in an office, or just hired them around the world, It would be cool to take pics of the macrumors headquarter !!!:D

twoodcc
Dec 8, 2008, 11:32 AM
I was wondering if they have it like in an office, or just hired them around the world, It would be cool to take pics of the macrumors headquarter !!!:D

i would assume that they would be in a data center. but you never know

rpaloalto
Dec 8, 2008, 01:38 PM
Their stored 30-ft. under ground. In a secret room beneath Apple headquarters of Cupertino CA.:D

arn
Dec 8, 2008, 01:40 PM
yeah, as stated above. MacRumors runs on 5 servers. They are housed in a data center in Dallas, TX.

arn

twoodcc
Dec 8, 2008, 02:13 PM
yeah, as stated above. MacRumors runs on 5 servers. They are housed in a data center in Dallas, TX.

arn

thanks arn. i was mainly just curious b/c i am currently running a test web server in my home. i'm testing leopard server on a 2.66 quad mac pro to see how it handles it. just an internal web server right now, pushing my own traffic on my network to see how it goes.

i'm running some scripts to get the page views up, to see how the mac pro handles it. i've also got some videos and photos being hosted on it as well.

so far today over 42 GB of bandwidth used. the mac pro's fans are on and everything, so it's kinda loud. but it's not really pushing the processors all that much. it's got 14 GB of RAM, and it's using up a good bit of that though

QueenZ
Dec 9, 2008, 01:14 AM
5 serveres.. that seems kind of a lot. I run my website on 1 (shared) 12,000+ posts and haven't got any problems yet :)

twoodcc
Dec 9, 2008, 01:23 AM
5 serveres.. that seems kind of a lot. I run my website on 1 (shared) 12,000+ posts and haven't got any problems yet :)

what type of server?

synth3tik
Dec 9, 2008, 01:34 AM
Their stored 30-ft. under ground. In a secret room beneath Apple headquarters of Cupertino CA.:D

I almost got a job in a data center that is in the vault of the old federal reserve in downtown MPLS. That would have been so so cool. The vault is something like 40-50 feet below ground with thick reinforced concrete walls. I think they moved now to a building on my side of downtown.

twoodcc
Dec 9, 2008, 01:39 PM
I almost got a job in a data center that is in the vault of the old federal reserve in downtown MPLS. That would have been so so cool. The vault is something like 40-50 feet below ground with thick reinforced concrete walls. I think they moved now to a building on my side of downtown.

cool. i've worked in a data center before (as a co-op). a very interesting job. though they had lots of servers, they also had mainframes and tape silos as well. very interesting indeed

GeeYouEye
Dec 11, 2008, 02:32 PM
How do you do load balancing between the two forum servers?

Knox
Dec 11, 2008, 03:11 PM

Nothing fancy, just DNS Round Robin.

twoodcc
Dec 11, 2008, 03:22 PM

thanks, i was wondering that as well. i wonder how big the forum database is also

GeeYouEye
Dec 11, 2008, 03:56 PM

Simple, or with lbnamed? And how does one set that up on a nameserver? (I know, probably the wrong board to be asking about this, but a vBulletin-based board I'm tech admin for (see signature) may soon need another webserver (or possibly just a separate database server), and Wikipedia is singularly unhelpful here).

Knox
Dec 11, 2008, 04:02 PM
Simple, or with lbnamed? And how does one set that up on a nameserver? (I know, probably the wrong board to be asking about this, but a vBulletin-based board I'm tech admin for (see signature) may soon need another webserver (or possibly just a separate database server), and Wikipedia is singularly unhelpful here).

Simple, just by adding a second line in the zonefile for BIND, so you end up with something like

forums.macrumors.com. IN A 74.86.227.40
forums.macrumors.com. IN A 74.86.210.200

vBulletin.com's server forum (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14) is a good place to start if you need advice on optimisation and/or expansion.

twoodcc
Dec 11, 2008, 04:57 PM

Simple, just by adding a second line in the zonefile for BIND, so you end up with something like

vBulletin.com's server forum (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14) is a good place to start if you need advice on optimisation and/or expansion.

very interesting. i am just hosting my own internal smf forum, and it's a small forum right now, but i am still interested in all this.

i guess i have a thing for databases for some reason.

GeeYouEye
Dec 11, 2008, 05:09 PM

I would posrep you if this forum had reputation! Thanks muchly, I didn't know BIND did it automatically.