Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfremani

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
So, bootcamp 2.1 has been out for a while but I just realized that I'm still at 2.0. I always run the updates, but I take it the 2.1 is a manual update only, or is it not intended for a white Macbook 2.1 (mid-2007)? Or is the update only for the windows drivers, and not for the interface on the mac side? Bootcamp seems to be missing features from 1.4beta.

1) There used to be a very intuitive and easy way to modify and change the size of partitions from bootcamp on the OSX side. Now there isn't.
2) There does not seem to be a way to create a dirvers disk from bootcamp assistant (like there was with 1.4 on Tiger). Is that correct?

I went to the bootcamp website and downloaded the 2.1 exe file, so I guess that's for the actual drivers, which isn't as convenient as burning a drivers disk, but still good. I seem to remember that, when using 1.4, you could update the win driveres from windows.

What's the best way to stay up-to-date on bootcamp, both in it's mac interface and the actual drivers?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Yes, the Boot Camp 2.1 update is a manual one only. I don't know why this is.

As for keeping up to date on Boot Camp stuff, I thought there was a mailing list for this purpose but I can't seem to find it on Apple's site.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
The Boot Camp 2.1 Updater is indeed drivers only- and only necessary for XP SP3, or either the 32 bit or 64 bit versions of Vista which is why it is not an automatic download as not everyone needs on of the three versions of the updater. It does nothing to the Mac side- which is why they are .exe files to be run from within Windows.

As far as your two numbered questions:

1. I have never seen a way clear back to Boot Camp Beta 1.0 for Tiger to adjust a BC partition, other than the standard method of running the Boot Camp Assistant to remove the partition and re-running it to establish a new larger partition. Now with the free Mac utility called WinClone it is a simple matter to make a disk image of your Windows installation to be restored to a resized partition (although only NTFS partitions can be restored to a larger partition) and you don't have to reinstall Windows after making a size change like you did before.

2. There is no need to create a driver disk in the release version of Boot Camp included with Leopard (2.0 as opposed to the Boot Camp Betas 1.0-1.4 that were released for Tiger) since the Apple-provided drivers are on the Leopard installer disk and are installed automatically when you insert the Leopard installer disk while running Windows the first time.

jfremani

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Right. I just wonder why the feature of bootcamp was removed that allowed you to easily resize partitions on the fly.

Also, the bootcamp drivers are on the Leopard disc, but obviously they are not updated. But that's ok, can just save the 2.1 exe file and use that instead.

I just got the impression that Apple kind of backed off of bootcamp as part of its business strategy.. which may be a wise move for them, but bad for people like me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.