PDA

View Full Version : Netflix 'Watch Now' Available on TiVo Today!

TJunkers
Dec 8, 2008, 07:53 AM
May not make everyone happy, but I am thrilled! Ever since I figured out how to stream movies to my PS3; My TiVo and PS3 are becoming all I need now!

http://gizmodo.com/5103308/netflix-available-on-tivo-now

kornyboy
Dec 8, 2008, 08:04 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

That's really cool. Does it show up after the Tivo updates? Thanks for posting.

cantthinkofone
Dec 8, 2008, 08:30 AM
I've been trying the netflix thing thru my xbox 360 the last few days. Its kinda cool to be able to watch a movie on a gaming console from a online rental company.

My only grips are,

1. With my 1 meg internet it's not the greatest quality.

2. You have to add movies to your queue online first. You can't just browse the movies from the console.

3. Not many titles are available to stream. But this is out of netflix' hands.

Other than that i like it. The streaming is good to have while you wait for your next shipment of dvds.

I was going to get a appletv but i don't think i will now. I'll just get a old G4 tower to stream movies to my 360, and use netflix for more streaming options.

glide
Dec 8, 2008, 12:39 PM
This is the best Netflix streaming solution so far. Later XBOX...

powaking
Dec 8, 2008, 12:57 PM
Anyone know if this would come to Comcast's Tivo'd DVR box?

rdowns
Dec 8, 2008, 12:58 PM
Doesn't work on Tivo Series 2 machines. :(:(

Akitakoi
Dec 8, 2008, 01:19 PM
When will it be available for the APPLE TV?:)

:rolleyes:Never! Steve J wants us to pay for crappy old movies.:p

Might show up on Boxee though.:cool:

martinmartin
Dec 8, 2008, 01:31 PM
Can you search for movies from the TIVO? Or do you have to use a computer to add them to your Instant Queue before watching?

rdowns
Dec 8, 2008, 01:33 PM
Can you search for movies from the TIVO? Or do you have to use a computer to add them to your Instant Queue before watching?

Movies are streamed from Netflix through TiVo DVRs via wired or wireless broadband connection and a Netflix Queue-based user interface. Members visit the Netflix Web site to add movies and TV episodes to their individual instant Queues. Those choices will automatically be displayed on subscribers’ TVs and are available to watch instantly through the TiVo service. With the TiVo remote control users can browse their instant Queue, make selections right on the TV screen, as well as read synopses and rate movies. In addition, they have the option of pausing, fast-forwarding, rewinding and re-starting whenever they wish.

macfaninpdx
Dec 8, 2008, 03:01 PM
As an added bonus, some TV Shows are available for Instant Play even if they aren't out on DVD yet!

I am currently playing catch-up with Heroes, since I just started watching the series recently. I have a few of the Season 1 DVDs in my queue. I noticed that they have a link to Watch Instantly, but they were not showing up in my Instant queue - even though other DVDs in my regular queue did show up in the Instant "tab". Once I clicked on the Add to Instant link, they were available in my Instant "tab."

But as a bonus, I noticed that Season 3 is also available for Instant watching, even though it isn't out on DVD yet. I wonder if this is available for other shows as well.

martinmartin
Dec 8, 2008, 04:24 PM
Movies are streamed from Netflix through TiVo DVRs via wired or wireless broadband connection and a Netflix Queue-based user interface. Members visit the Netflix Web site to add movies and TV episodes to their individual instant Queues. Those choices will automatically be displayed on subscribers’ TVs and are available to watch instantly through the TiVo service. With the TiVo remote control users can browse their instant Queue, make selections right on the TV screen, as well as read synopses and rate movies. In addition, they have the option of pausing, fast-forwarding, rewinding and re-starting whenever they wish.

So I think what you're saying is, like the Xbox 360, you are unable to add movies 'on the go' and you have to use a computer to add them to your instant queue prior to viewing on the Tivo...??

mpshay
Dec 8, 2008, 07:42 PM
all of the stream options require you add items to your queue via a web browser (I actually think a couple of the iphone apps make this pretty easy) Tivo seems to as good (maybe even better) a job as my Roku box