Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forkyfork

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
I currently have an ipod Nano 2g (4gb), but I'm considering upgrading it. I am trying to decide between the next two generations of the nano. I purchased a 4g Nano from the store and have been playing around with it, but I am considering returning it and getting a refurbished nano 3g instead.

I have a few issues, though:

1. I read that the nano 3g has an annoying screensaver that comes on that does not show you the song title. This would get really annoying for me. Is there a software update that turned this off? I like the idea of being able to see what my music is without having to touch the player.

2. The largest size for the 3g is 8gb. That would be fine for music, but when you throw in video too, is that enough? I mainly use my ipod for podcasts, but those video podcasts can add up.

3. I like the way the Nano 4g supports video playlists vs. regular playlists (i.e. you can watch a video with the video OR just the audio). Does the Nano 3g function similarly?

4. How annoying is it to watch videos on the Nano 3g with the headphone port on the bottom? I like how I can turn the Nano 4g on its side, which leaves the headphone port free.

I'm just finding it hard to justify spending more money on a new 4g Nano when the refurbished 3g nano's are pretty cheap. Any idea when the new 4g nano's will be added to the Apple store?

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I bought 3 3g Nano's - but none of my reasons are valid for your list of things.

For me, the deciding factor was the videos they will mainly be watching are 4:3 so the screen-estate is wayyyy more important than anything else. Since they are for my kids - well, a lot of what i might when if i was older doesn't count :D

My husband has a 1gb nano - 1st gen. talk about FUN doing the song shuffle to fill it - i'm tempted to buy him the 8g so i have to work less! LOL!!

agurlnamedgoo

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2008
I went with the 3g for form factor.
The screen saver you're talking about yes it pops up after about a minute of leaving the iPod alone... and it just says the time and gives a battery meter basically. As soon as the backlight comes on it goes away, but I don't know if there's a way to get rid of it... I just got my nano a week ago.
I have NO problem with watching videos on it. I can't believe how amazing the screen is, but you're asking about the headphone port. It's on the bottom but so not a big deal. I mean really it makes pretty much no difference for me whether I'm holding my nano with the headphone jack at the bottom or at the top.

Now... if you're really just debating because of the $50 price difference, it sounds like you have a lot of concerns about the 3g and no concerns about the 4g. In your case I might say get the 4g because it sounds like that's what you really want deep down inside. I WANTED the 3g, and would have felt like I was being talked into something if I got the 4g. :)

muldul

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2008
West Sussex, England, UK
I am going to get the 16 GB 4g nano after christmas, i hated the 3g, they just looked to squashed, as watching videos on their screen felt like a punishment, not pleasure. Mind you, the 4g nano screen still isn't as big as my touches.

BobC

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2007
Providence, RI
...i hated the 3g, they just looked to squashed, as watching videos on their screen felt like a punishment, not pleasure. Mind you, the 4g nano screen still isn't as big as my touches.

For what it's worth, the screen on the 4g nano is EXACTLY the same size as the one on the 3g nano (320x240), regardless of Apple's somewhat misleading advertising that sometimes refers to it as "widescreen".

The hype even extended to my local Apple Store's sales reps, who insisted that the screen was slightly wider until I pulled out my 3g and showed them. :rolleyes:

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
The 4G does this as well, it's not just limited to the 3G.

You can also keep it from coming up by shutting off power saver. It just shows the clock as it takes less power to display the B/W clock than the color screen with album art and such.

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
I think the 3G is better for games. I don't own either and have played Phase only on the 3G, but I can't imagine playing it one-handed and sideways.

It all depends on if you play them though. How about Genius? Is that a factor?

agurlnamedgoo

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2008
I think the 3G is better for games. I don't own either and have played Phase only on the 3G, but I can't imagine playing it one-handed and sideways.

It all depends on if you play them though. How about Genius? Is that a factor?

It's funny... I tried out genius on iTunes and I actually don't like it. I mean, it's basically just another way to push the iTunes store, as it makes its playlists based on similar songs that people have bought on iTunes! If you select a song that isn't sold on iTunes, it'll tell you it can't make a playlist. I can see that to some people this wouldn't matter. But to me, I could just as easily do the same thing.

I feel the same about shake-to-shuffle... If you have it turned on and accidentally shake the iPod during a song you were enjoying... you start listening to something new. If you keep it turned off to avoid incident, you may as well have not gotten an iPod with STS.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
You can also keep it from coming up by shutting off power saver. It just shows the clock as it takes less power to display the B/W clock than the color screen with album art and such.

EDIT: Haha, nevermind. I realised you were elaborating on what I said :p

forkyfork

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Thanks for everyone's responses.

I have the 4g nano now, but I don't really feel like I care about the new features. I have coverflow and shake-to-shuffle turned off, and I haven't really used genius yet.

I also don't like how my clock radio doesn't charge my 4g nano. It should charge a 3g, though, right?

The screensaver is on the 4g too, unfortunately. I wish there was a way to get it to just stick on the artist and song title, like my 2g nano. I don't care about album art.

I do like the big display of the 4g. And the 16gb space. I never really liked the square factor of the 3g. But the $100 difference is very big...

agurlnamedgoo

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2008
Thanks for everyone's responses.

I have the 4g nano now, but I don't really feel like I care about the new features. I have coverflow and shake-to-shuffle turned off, and I haven't really used genius yet.

I also don't like how my clock radio doesn't charge my 4g nano. It should charge a 3g, though, right?

The screensaver is on the 4g too, unfortunately. I wish there was a way to get it to just stick on the artist and song title, like my 2g nano. I don't care about album art.

I do like the big display of the 4g. And the 16gb space. I never really liked the square factor of the 3g. But the $100 difference is very big...

LoL... the only thing square on the 3g is the body. The screen is the exact same - size and definition - as that of the 4g.

vermontcathy

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
I have the 4g nano now, but I don't really feel like I care about the new features. I have coverflow ... turned off

The 3G has coverflow also (you seem to be implying that you don't use it, so you don't mind that the 3G doesn't have it).

I do like the big display of the 4g.

As several people have mentioned, the displays are EXACTLY the same on the 3G and 4G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.