Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sijmen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
I bought Metal Slug (and will soon buy Contra 3) on Virtual Console for the Wii and I love it, but is there no way to play it on a friend's Wii without buying it again?

Sijmen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Hmm yeah but it would be kind of dull to bring a Wii if he has one himself.

Anyway, too bad. I know I agreed with the restriction when downloading the game but still it's stupid that I can't use a game I bought as I like. Guess that's the downside of downloadable games. (Even thought Steam nails it and iTunes does it a lot better with music.)

drichards

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2008
Zelda hack, homebrew channel, emulators and an SD card. You can find info on lifehacker if you want to. It takes less than 15 minutes if you're all prepared.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs

If he has a Wii already it makes it that much easier... all the cables are there, all you need is the white box. Swap the power, sensor bar and video cables and you're good to go. It's not like the Wii itself is huge. Think of what you would have had to lug over to play in cartridge days. Heck 3 NES/SNES/N64 games would have already eaten almost as much space as the Wii and depending on how many VC games you have it might be hugely space efficient.

Another plus would be if he had an extra TV/display available and WiFi you could do multiplayer online in the same room and each have your own screen. If you both have Mario Kart you could do a four player race and all be in the same room.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Should have got the Metal Slug collection instead! There's no way to do it, sorry. Wii downloads are tied to the console.

Antares

macrumors 68000

Anyway, too bad. I know I agreed with the restriction when downloading the game but still it's stupid that I can't use a game I bought as I like. Guess that's the downside of downloadable games. (Even thought Steam nails it and iTunes does it a lot better with music.)

And hence, one of the main reasons why I would be opposed to the total movement of games and movies to downloadable/digital content only....The lack of ability to easily take your game or movie to a friend's place to play/watch. No more letting someone borrow your game/movie. You have to rent it or buy it new (note: it would also kill buying used games/movies, as well). You'll always essentially be paying full price for games/movies/music in the future if the market goes all digital content.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
And hence, one of the main reasons why I would be opposed to the total movement of games and movies to downloadable/digital content only....The lack of ability to easily take your game or movie to a friend's place to play/watch. No more letting someone borrow your game/movie. You have to rent it or buy it new (note: it would also kill buying used games/movies, as well). You'll always essentially be paying full price for games/movies/music in the future if the market goes all digital content.

I could see going digital only content in the right circumstances.

With movies for instance, I would consider going all digital if there were a way to:
  • Add all of my current DVDs to the library without being charged again
  • have all the storage offsite, like video on demand services where I can go access any of my movies at any time from any net connection/compatible STB
  • a token method to loan out movies to friends and family for periods of time, make it so loaned content is not available to me to appease the studios, but allow me to set the time limit of the loan
  • A cheap method for upconverting all available movies to the latest HD format either on a movie by movie basis or all at once
  • the ability to download a movie to a portable device for when I'm away from net connections (use a similar setup to the loan tokens)

I can see the benefits of not needing all of the storage for my movies to be onsite, and a nice way to upgrade. I don't currently have a Bluray player, not sure if I ever will, but if I did add one, now anything that I have that I wanted in HD, I now have to re-purchase. You'd think that if it were only like $1 per movie you already owned to up the resolution to whatever standard, the studios would do even better on that deal than they would trying to re-market the new format. They could even yank the old format from the market since you'd be able to downconvert to your target device and still have the highest resolution available should you ever need to upgrade equipment.

I'm not so sure that games would work as well on this system, but with a setup like this I'd probably convert all 400+ of our DVDs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.