Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week Apple seeded developers with Build 9G52 of Mac OS X 10.5.6. The latest seeds ask developers to continue testing Mobile Me syncing and Mail character sets and continues to list a number of fixes from previous versions. Apple is expected to release Mac OS X 10.5.6 in the near future.

HMBT.org also publishes seed notes from the latest Snow Leopard build (10A222) which was also released to developers last week. The newest seed offers new additions to Grand Central, which provides developers an easier way to harness the power of multiple processor cores.

Separately, we've heard that the newest version of Snow Leopard makes Rosetta an optional installation. Rosetta is Apple's PowerPC emulator for their Intel Macs, allowing Intel Mac owners to run legacy software that has not been upgraded for the Intel platform. This news comes shortly after an announcement that IBM had purchased Transitive, the company behind Rosetta's technology. The final release of Snow Leopard is also rumored to require an Intel Mac, thereby being the first version of Mac OS X to drop PowerPC support.

Apple first announced its transition from PowerPC to Intel processors in June, 2005.

Article Link: Latest Mac OS X 10.5.6 Seed; Rosetta Becomes Optional in Snow Leopard?

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
On one hand I like that Apple is fully embracing the intel switch, but I'm not so happy that they're pushing everyone else to do the same, especially not so fast.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Everyone brace for the PPC owner backlash in this thread...

They can still run 10.5. No one is being forced to upgrade.

Looks like Apple is going back to it's pre-Christmas OS Update it used to do. 10.5.6 around 15/16th December me thinks.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Sigh, getting harder and harder to run my 5 year old PowerBook.

Does that count as a backlash? :)

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
On one hand I like that Apple is fully embracing the intel switch, but I'm not so happy that they're pushing everyone else to do the same, especially not so fast.

Fast? Macs has gone completely Intel in 2005. By the time Snow Leopard comes out, it will have been 4 years since PPC disappeared from the Mac lineup.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
What is wrong with 10.5.5? it is very stable for me in my iMac

I was using Leopard in a lab where I was teaching. I guess I'm just too used to Tiger. Leopard seemed somehow more cluttered to me. It also took significantly longer to boot up and shut down. And I didn't like the look of the dock on the bottom of the screen. That little blue dot just wasn't enough of an indication for when an app was open.

As always, things are changing. Even though it's still running great, I guess it's about time to take a deep breath and get rid of my PowerMac G5, especially if I want to start working with the iPhone SDK.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

I disagree with "forced."

Other upgrades have added new features (Expose, Time Machine) that everyone might want. It's fair to say "forced" in those situations, because those features were so useful, everyone would like to have them.

Snow Leopard, on the other hand, seems to mostly be adding hardware optimization that only speeds up newer hardware. Meaning: Intel hardware.

So, even if they offered 10.6 for PPC, the changes would be minimal. So you'd get minimal changes and they'd have to put in a LOT more work. That's why it's called "Snow Leopard." It's pretty much the same as "Leopard!"

10.7 will be the first time PPC owners actually miss out on new features.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Well, it's cool that Snow Leopard will still have Rosetta, even if optional. My currently favorite nerd party games (Starcraft 1 and Liquid War) are PPC and work just fine under Rosetta.

Any inside info on whether they fixed 10.5.5's bug with ATSServer going crazy when generating thumbnails for certain PDF files? (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8306295)

Mykbibby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Palm Springs, CA
I was using Leopard in a lab where I was teaching. I guess I'm just too used to Tiger. Leopard seemed somehow more cluttered to me. It also took significantly longer to boot up and shut down. And I didn't like the look of the dock on the bottom of the screen. That little blue dot just wasn't enough of an indication for when an app was open.

As always, things are changing. Even though it's still running great, I guess it's about time to take a deep breath and get rid of my PowerMac G5, especially if I want to start working with the iPhone SDK.

That's why I use this Leopard dock...

http://macsoda.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/picture-16.png?w=1312&h=56

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Shouldn't that read "10.6" ?

no. the article reports on both 10.5.6 and 10.6 seeds. Sorry if it's confusing. The 10.5.6 report wasn't really interesting enough by itself, so I just combined them into one story.

arn

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006

Put the dock on the sides, looks different and way sleeker. If you want the dock to look like that, enter the following into Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES; killall Dock

Replace "YES" with "NO" do get the 3D look back. I've gotten used to have the dock on the left side now. Makes sense with widescreen displays and Quicksilver (or Spotlight) to launch you apps. I only keep some in the dock for easy drag and dropping.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Fast? Macs has gone completely Intel in 2005. By the time Snow Leopard comes out, it will have been 4 years since PPC disappeared from the Mac lineup.

i bought a ppc mac in nov 2005.

The change was announced in 2005 and the first Intel Macs were made available in early 2006 but the change wasn't complete until August 2006.

Shouldn't that read "10.6" ?

Nope 10.5.6, apple is currently working on both 10.5.6 and 10.6 concurrently. The build referenced is for the next update to Leopard.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
What would be the advantage of not installing rosetta? If it's not running, surely there's no overhead.

Drive space. I find this reason a bit silly, but I KNOW there are people out there who take the time to strip other languages out of iLife programs to save a few MB, so someone out there will like it for this reason.

As for me? I won't be installing it because I want to have the fastest experience possible. If I come across a program using Rosetta I either upgrade it or ditch it for a different program.

I try and keep track, but sometimes one slips by me for awhile and I don't notice it until I check my 'process' report window.

Being told right away: "This program won't run" would make me happy. I'll be glad to have this option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.