Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
I just bought a Macbook that has 10.5 installed on it but it didn't come with the Leopard disk. What do I need to be able to install Bootcamp without the Leopard disk? thanks

JNB

macrumors 604
Well, yeah, you're right there (sorry, long day, and I'm not firing on all eight). :eek:

If the seller didn't provide either the restore disks or a retail copy of Leopard, looks like you'll have to pony up for one on your own. Amazon & eBay have retail copies for a bit less than Apple.

Supaklaw

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
NYC
No, Apple has an updated Bootcamp installer on their site... with updated drivers for Vista 64-bit. You don't need the disk. If you can't find it on the Apple site do a search here, I've seen links to the direct download up the updated installer.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
No, Apple has an updated Bootcamp installer on their site... with updated drivers for Vista 64-bit. You don't need the disk. If you can't find it on the Apple site do a search here, I've seen links to the direct download up the updated installer.

Since no one in this thread has mentioned Vista 64 bit specifically, I will also mention that they have separate 2.1 driver updaters for XP SP3 and Vista 32 bit as well. To get any of the 2.1 updaters, go to Apple's Boot Camp Support page.

The problem is that from an experiment I did today with an install, it seems the 2.1 drivers updated are only a subset of the drivers provided on the Leopard disk- in other words just updated drivers for those from the original set that had issues in on the three OS versions I mentioned.

I did a BC install today and for the heck of it skipped the original drivers from the Leopard disk and just installed the 2.1 pack and had some notable issues- until I went back and installed the original set from the Leopard disk and then reinstalled those from the 2.1 update pack and all was well. Could be a fluke, but am going to try it again with the next machine I install BC on later this week to double check the results.

Catch Them

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
Since no one in this thread has mentioned Vista 64 bit specifically, I will also mention that they have separate 2.1 driver updaters for XP SP3 and Vista 32 bit as well. To get any of the 2.1 updaters, go to Apple's Boot Camp Support page.

The problem is that from an experiment I did today with an install, it seems the 2.1 drivers updated are only a subset of the drivers provided on the Leopard disk- in other words just updated drivers for those from the original set that had issues in on the three OS versions I mentioned.

I did a BC install today and for the heck of it skipped the original drivers from the Leopard disk and just installed the 2.1 pack and had some notable issues- until I went back and installed the original set from the Leopard disk and then reinstalled those from the 2.1 update pack and all was well. Could be a fluke, but am going to try it again with the next machine I install BC on later this week to double check the results.

Yep.
When i did a clean install last week of XPSP2 i loaded the bootcamp drivers from my leopard disk (2.0) and when i went and installed 2.1 it "repaired" drivers.

so it appends the 2.0 with the fixes of 2.1

Which i dont understand why they can compact them into one thing.

To the OP:
IIRC i think you can get Restore DVD disks from apple for under 35$ if you give them the serial, i believe they do that or atleast did.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
Yep.
When i did a clean install last week of XPSP2 i loaded the bootcamp drivers from my leopard disk (2.0) and when i went and installed 2.1 it "repaired" drivers.
so it appends the 2.0 with the fixes of 2.1

Which i dont understand why they can compact them into one thing.

To the OP:
IIRC i think you can get Restore DVD disks from apple for under 35$ if you give them the serial, i believe they do that or atleast did.

You are right- I have posted about getting System Restore disks from Apple a few times. You need to tell them you need "fulfillment disks" which is their name for them internally I guess and provide them with your serial number which they use to make absolutely certain you get the right disk set. I last ordered some about two months ago and they were $32 (shipped) for the two disk set that originally came with a DP 2.7Ghz G5. Beats the price for new retail installer disk PLUS you get the apps that originally shipped with your particular Mac since they are not present on the retail OS installer disk.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
The Boot Camp drivers on the Apple website are UPDATE installers ONLY. They will only work when you already have Boot Camp 2.0 installed.

A version of the Boot Camp 2.0 drivers that accompany the 2008 Mac Pros - containing both 32-Bit AND 64-Bit Vista drivers - can be found on certain torrents and on Rapidshare; somebody was so nice to upload them.

When you google for "download boot camp drivers", I think the first result already points to the correct torrent.

There shouldn't be an actual legal concern here, because, after all, you own a Mac and those files contain only hardware drivers for your computer. Actually, it's a shame that Apple does not have the Boot Camp drivers on their official support website.

The other option for you is to purchase a retail version of Leopard. But then you'll get only the 32-Bit Boot Camp drivers which won't work with 64-Bit Vista.

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
I know leopard disks dont work from one computer to the next, but i have a macbook i just got. and i am currently installing windows on my MBP through boot camp. I cant find the MBP's leopard disk to save my life. Would it work to put in my Macbooks leopard disk? for the drivers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.