PDA

View Full Version : student discount at apple store

Cfg5
Feb 20, 2004, 09:19 PM
I am looking to buy a new computer soon, and wonder if i can get a student discount at the apple store at south coast plaza.

applemacdude
Feb 20, 2004, 10:10 PM
Yea you can...All you need to do is bring your college paperwork and thats it...

m4rc
Feb 21, 2004, 01:23 AM
Often the store won't need visual ID, like if you ordered over the phone or net for example. They just need to be able to put a name agaist an educational establishment. I ordered some hardware from a reseller in the UK and they wanted me to fax over some ID - it was in my Dad's name as he is a University Professor. When I said that this was the case, they just asked the name of the Uni and said it wouldn't be a problem, they just ask as it puts the fakers off!

fatzmack
Feb 21, 2004, 03:06 AM
waitaminute... does student discounts apply to all retail apple stores!? i live literally downtown in chicago, and the apple store in chicago is just a 15 minute walk away from me. if i wanted to purchase a computer without the wait from shipping and processing, yet wanted the educational discount, i could go to the retail store and have the discount applied?

virividox
Feb 21, 2004, 05:45 AM
yeah i think all apple stores and most if not all resellers honor the educational discount.

IndyGopher
Feb 21, 2004, 06:09 AM
The Apple Retail Stores do indeed offer educational discounts. If you go in person they will ask for ID, as was said earlier. Also, the discount apparently is only available for hardware, and not software. As another condition, remember that the Apple Stores only have machines in the base configurations (plus they can add RAM and Airport) so if you want anything CTO, like bluetooth (on the models where it's optional) or a larger hard drive, you will have to order from the online store.

macopia
Feb 21, 2004, 07:00 AM
They will give you a discount on the hardware, not the software. Just order the software from the Apple Store for Education.

phrancpharmD
Feb 21, 2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by IndyGopher
As another condition, remember that the Apple Stores only have machines in the base configurations (plus they can add RAM and Airport) so if you want anything CTO, like bluetooth (on the models where it's optional) or a larger hard drive, you will have to order from the online store.

Yeah, I was disappointed about this for about a minute when I bought my iBook, but I already have an extrenal FWHD and I didn't really need Bluetooth (although it might have been cool. . .)

heyadol
Feb 21, 2004, 04:17 PM
I bought an iSight yesterday at South Coast Plaza and they required a student id and state id/driver's license in order to give me the discount.