Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
So I scored a new 1.86/128 on ebay for $1932 with instant cashback (go live.com). Now... I'm on the hunt for accessories. I plan on getting the superdrive, a sleeve, and an anti-glare film.

Any recommendations? Does anyone prefer an external drive that's not the superdrive? It won't be accompanying me anywhere so bus-power is not an issue.

Also, I was looking at the steve sleeve, but there aren't too many reviews? I'm also partial to the incase slim sleeve (not a fan of neoprene).

coupdetat

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
The MBA screen is really not glossy at all.. I doubt you'll need an anti-glare screen.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I picked up a superdrive on Ebay for 30+ bucks shipped, it was mint.

This is where I fail to see the value added in your responses. So you picked up a superdrive and it was mint for $30.00. How exactly does this answer the OP's question ...
Does anyone prefer an external drive that's not the superdrive?

jackiecanev2, I think many would prefer to use an external drive that is not the $100 superdrive, or $30.00 if you're Ironic, however, it is my understanding that the USB port on the MB Air cannot handle another drive. I'll dig a bit deeper, but I read that somewhere here on MR and over at Apple discussions.

Anti-glare film: I think once you get the Air you should really use it without the film first. The screen is quite nice and bright. I don't think you will have issues with reflections unless the screen is off, by then I would question why you're using your Air with the screen off. ;)

Sleeve: While a nice little addition to the Air, will it be your only form of protection? How will you transport the Air? In another bag with a designated laptop compartment? If so, then the sleeve seems rather useless to me. This is a personal opinion for most laptops I've owned. I only used a sleeve when I used a regular backpack, one not made for a laptop. The sleeve kept the laptop protected from the other junk I held in the backpack.

BTW Great score on that eBay deal. I haven't read enough Live Cashback to totally understand it but maybe I should. :) I've given up on the 120 HDD model of the Air. :(

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
Anti-glare film: I think once you get the Air you should really use it without the film first. The screen is quite nice and bright. I don't think you will have issues with reflections unless the screen is off, by then I would question why you're using your Air with the screen off. ;)

Sleeve: While a nice little addition to the Air, will it be your only form of protection? How will you transport the Air? In another bag with a designated laptop compartment? If so, then the sleeve seems rather useless to me. This is a personal opinion for most laptops I've owned. I only used a sleeve when I used a regular backpack, one not made for a laptop. The sleeve kept the laptop protected from the other junk I held in the backpack.

BTW Great score on that eBay deal. I haven't read enough Live Cashback to totally understand it but maybe I should. :) I've given up on the 120 HDD model of the Air. :(

The live cashback is pretty cool, some are instant and some require a 60-day wait. Search, click ad, buy it now, get your money back. This is the first instant rebate I've gotten, which is really nice.

If the MBA is on par with the last gen of macbooks gloss-wise, I'll probably opt for a film. I get a decent amount of glare because I prefer the brightness as low as possible, as it tends to give me a headache otherwise. An email from PowerSupport says that the last-gen macbook films will fit the Air, but I've only ever used their glossy films on my iPhone so if anyone has any first-hand experience with the laptop films the input would be much appreciated. As for a sleeve, it will be going in my timbuk2 messenger which does not already have a sleeve (or padding of any kind, anywhere). So I'm definitely looking for a little padding which makes me hesitant to go for the Steve sleeve.

As for other drives... I did read that other bus-powered drives were incompatible. But I was under the impression that external drives with their own power supply were in the clear? I could be wrong...

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
I'm not a fan of neoprene either. You might look at the Incipio Technologies IM-100 Orion Sleeve Case for Apple Macbook Air. Nice case. Just remember to close your port door before sliding your MBA in any sleeve (its sharp).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.