PDA

View Full Version : the dark knight won't rip? [merged]

Keebler
Dec 9, 2008, 12:15 PM
Hi folks,

So I bought the cheaper version of DK b/c i didn't want the special features, but of course, their 'digital copy' came with the more expensive version.

I figured I'd HB it and be good to go.

wrong.

mtr nor hb will work. hb just keep trying to read it and mtr reads it, but the go button is not hilighted.

bummer.

BearsFan34
Dec 9, 2008, 02:43 PM
Nope, mtr and handbrake not working here either...

So I go online to the Warner Brothers "digital copy download" site, thinking I get a free digital copy since I already purchased the DVD...

WRONG.

You have to pay for that too if you buy the basic version. $1.99 (US) is what you have to pay IN ADDITION TO whatever the retail price you shelled out for the DVD.

Now I'm having trouble with the disc not playing in my MacBook or Mac mini at all.

It's going back.

Bobioden
Dec 9, 2008, 02:49 PM
What version of MTR are you using?

themoonisdown09
Dec 9, 2008, 02:51 PM
The new version of Handbrake uses the libraries from VLC Player now to do decryption. See if there is an updated version of VLC Player.

BearsFan34
Dec 9, 2008, 02:57 PM
What version of MTR are you using?

Also tried the very latest version of Handbrake, no dice.

Am downloading the newest version of VLC right now, but I doubt it'll make a difference. I think we're screwed.

Not to mention that the "digital copy" that you can "purchase" for $1.99 US is WINDOWS ONLY. So it's no good for Mac users.

This is a complete FAIL by Warner Brothers.

Bobioden
Dec 9, 2008, 03:05 PM

Also tried the very latest version of Handbrake, no dice.

Am downloading the newest version of VLC right now, but I doubt it'll make a difference. I think we're screwed.

Not to mention that the "digital copy" that you can "purchase" for $1.99 US is WINDOWS ONLY. So it's no good for Mac users.

MTR is on version 3.14M, 2.66 is a couple years old, and not supported anymore. From their site it seems they are all having problems with it, but since it just came out, I bet within a day or so there will be a fix.

unknowng
Dec 9, 2008, 03:07 PM
This will rip The Dark Knight. Then just convert it with HB. You'll have to rip it in a Windows environment though.

Greg

Michael CM1
Dec 9, 2008, 03:39 PM
The new version of Handbrake uses the libraries from VLC Player now to do decryption. See if there is an updated version of VLC Player.

There's a LOT of stuff that HandBrake 0.9.3 has issues with. I was ripping my Christmas DVDs so I could have an awesome holiday playlist, but ran into trouble with Miracle on 34th Street (the 90s version), Home Alone 1 & 2, and anything Charlie Brown.

BAH HUMBUG! I really hope the HB devs can figure this out, although I know they try their best with a free open source product.

QuarterSwede
Dec 9, 2008, 03:47 PM
It's going back.
Good luck with getting a store to take it back since you've opened it.

themoonisdown09
Dec 9, 2008, 03:50 PM
There's a LOT of stuff that HandBrake 0.9.3 has issues with. I was ripping my Christmas DVDs so I could have an awesome holiday playlist, but ran into trouble with Miracle on 34th Street (the 90s version), Home Alone 1 & 2, and anything Charlie Brown.

I was actually having trouble ripping Home Alone 2 last weekend. I wanted to put it on my iPod so I can watch it on the plane going to New York City this weekend. I ended up using DVDFab to create a VIDEO_TS folder, then I used Handbrake to create the m4v file.

The problem wasn't that it couldn't decrypt it, it just stopped about 1/4 of the way through ripping it.

fivepoint
Dec 9, 2008, 05:17 PM
I've been unable to rip the Dark Knight using Handbrake or MTR. Has anyone else had success?

ceo2025
Dec 9, 2008, 05:21 PM
The previous post is correct.

I ripped the Dark Knight on a PC using DVDFab HD Decrypter 5.1.2.2 found at http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm
(I actually used Parallels on my mac to do this). Then I used HandBrake to rip the DVD.

Works perfect!!!

Chundles
Dec 9, 2008, 05:28 PM
I've been unable to rip the Dark Knight using Handbrake or MTR. Has anyone else had success?

I had to use Fairmount on an iMac which took about 40 minutes to scan the disc then copy the individual files within the VIDEO_TS folder onto my thumb drive then onto my laptop into a new VIDEO_TS folder which Handbrake was quite happy to work with.

Some hardware issues meant I couldn't do the whole lot on the iMac hence the transfer but it did work.

No issues with the final rip either.

Can you tell me if the sound on your DVD copy is crap? Mine sounds like people are constantly covering then uncovering the mike. Up and down and the wrong sounds are highlighted (explosions sound like penny bungers whilst footsteps sound like explosions...

Keebler
Dec 9, 2008, 05:58 PM

I ripped the Dark Knight on a PC using DVDFab HD Decrypter 5.1.2.2 found at http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm
(I actually used Parallels on my mac to do this). Then I used HandBrake to rip the DVD.

Works perfect!!!

cool. thanks. will use my windows partition to give it a whirl later.

ozarkchoir
Dec 9, 2008, 06:21 PM

I am in the process of ripping my copy of The Dark Knight with Handbrake now. I was having problems too but the forums on the handbrake website helped me.

Basically File --> Open Source (Title Specific) then type Title "1" should be good to go. I followed those instructions from the handbrake website and I'm in the process of ripping it as we speak. So here's to hoping!

TraceyS/FL
Dec 9, 2008, 06:47 PM
Now I'm having trouble with the disc not playing in my MacBook or Mac mini at all.

It's going back.

I'm having the same problem with the Tinkerbell disk after trying MTR 2.6x - apparently there is a file open or something. I haven't been able to get back to fixing it - if you go to the MTR forums you'd see my post on the subject.

UGH.

troon1975
Dec 9, 2008, 07:09 PM
Which title 1 do you choose?

VTS_01_0.bup?
VTS_01_0.ifo?
VTS_01_1.vob?

mfsanso
Dec 9, 2008, 07:44 PM
I selected "VTS_01_1.VOB" (the first large VOB file) and typed "1" in the box when it asked "Scan title number _ for VTS_01_1.VOB"

I'm encoding something but I'm unsure if it is the correct file - we'll see in 1h52m50s

:-)

EHUnlucky7x9@ao
Dec 9, 2008, 07:45 PM
The VOB file... and then input 1. It will scan 1 to 15. It will then load. Hit start. changing the destination file name brought an error. Left it alone. Success. Changed the m4v file to "Dark Knight.m4v" and imported into iTunes no problems.

FF_productions
Dec 9, 2008, 07:46 PM
I used a Windows App called "AnyDVD", worked like a charm.

I know that doens't answer question but I just ended up doing that in the end after futzing with MTR.

Sayer
Dec 9, 2008, 07:56 PM
LOL. If you wanted a digital copy just buy the friggn thing from iTunes. Works on Apple TV on a HDTV, iPod, iPhone, Macs... even Windows PCs.

TraceyS/FL
Dec 9, 2008, 08:16 PM
LOL. If you wanted a digital copy just buy the friggn thing from iTunes. Works on Apple TV on a HDTV, iPod, iPhone, Macs... even Windows PCs.

But it won't burn to a DVD to play in my changer right? Can't afford an AppleTV yet not to replace all my other TVs. Maybe santa will come thru this year :cool:

Mr Kram
Dec 9, 2008, 08:18 PM
thanks for the tips. looks like it's working.

Michael CM1
Dec 9, 2008, 08:23 PM
I was actually having trouble ripping Home Alone 2 last weekend. I wanted to put it on my iPod so I can watch it on the plane going to New York City this weekend. I ended up using DVDFab to create a VIDEO_TS folder, then I used Handbrake to create the m4v file.

The problem wasn't that it couldn't decrypt it, it just stopped about 1/4 of the way through ripping it.

The problem I'm having is HB won't start when I click the "start" button. I have no clue why it does it on certain titles but doesn't on others. I get having glitches while encoding, but it's weird that it doesn't start at all.

phosita
Dec 9, 2008, 08:29 PM
If you want a full rip of the DVD, mount the disc using Fairmount (http://www.metakine.com/products/fairmount/) and then just drag and drop the contents of the disc to your hard drive.

If you want to encode the video for iTunes, Xbox 360, iPod, Apple TV, etc. do the following:

1. Insert the disc into your computer.
2. Launch Handbrake
3. File -> Open Source (Title Specific) ...
4. Select the DVD
5. Hit "Open"
6. Type "1" into the Title box
7. Handbrake should now be able to rip and convert the main film.

If this fails, rip the DVD to your hard drive with Fairmount and use "Open Source (Title Specific)" on the VIDEO_TS folder.

Also, first post! Hi everyone!

mikeybc
Dec 9, 2008, 08:37 PM

Works perfect!!!

This worked perfect for me too!! Great idea for whomever came up with it. Worked flawlessly!!

Keebler
Dec 9, 2008, 08:54 PM

i wanted the versatility to play it in my stereo system with my tv and i don't have an appletv just yet.

otherwise, I would have.

This worked perfect for me too!! Great idea for whomever came up with it. Worked flawlessly!!

worked for me too, but i felt shamed to use the pc. :)

aaronthomas
Dec 9, 2008, 09:09 PM
Got The DK to rip using ripit.... but it wont play on frontrow... im looking for a ts file.... used fairmount... took 3 hours but it wont play... on 12 seconds of the menu.... and ideas for a mac ts folder?

themoonisdown09
Dec 9, 2008, 09:30 PM
DVD Fab works, but I'm using Handbrake now that I read on here about the title specific option. I'd rather use Handbrake for the whole process. I'll be watching this on my iPod during my lunch break.

davidleon
Dec 9, 2008, 09:34 PM
Don't forget Usenet downloads.

Ferd
Dec 9, 2008, 09:49 PM
If you are exclusively on Mac without PC access, is there something equivalent to the DVD fab program?

I am going out of my mind trying to figure this out.

And has anyone been able to rip chapter by chapter or is it all the entire movie rip?

Thank you in advance for any help.

aaronthomas
Dec 9, 2008, 09:49 PM
DVD fab is a windows based right.... isnt this a mac related forum? Confused

aaronthomas
Dec 9, 2008, 09:51 PM
If you are exclusively on Mac without PC access, is there something equivalent to the DVD fab program?

I am going out of my mind trying to figure this out.

And has anyone been able to rip chapter by chapter or is it all the entire movie rip?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Ive had success using ripit...

Ferd
Dec 9, 2008, 10:12 PM
Ive had success using ripit...

I think I am doomed to fail tonight. Is there a version of ripit that will work on 10.4?

aaronthomas
Dec 9, 2008, 10:27 PM
I think I am doomed to fail tonight. Is there a version of ripit that will work on 10.4?

Not one that I know will work with The Dark Knight...

Eidorian
Dec 9, 2008, 10:35 PM
This will rip The Dark Knight. Then just convert it with HB. You'll have to rip it in a Windows environment though.

GregGreat program and not to mention I have a quad as well.

9/10 times when MTR fails it's because the user is still using 2.6.6.

aaronthomas
Dec 9, 2008, 10:38 PM
If you want a full rip of the DVD, mount the disc using Fairmount (http://www.metakine.com/products/fairmount/) and then just drag and drop the contents of the disc to your hard drive.

If you want to encode the video for iTunes, Xbox 360, iPod, Apple TV, etc. do the following:

2. Launch Handbrake
4. Select the DVD
5. Hit "Open"

If this fails, rip the DVD to your hard drive with Fairmount and use "Open Source (Title Specific)" on the VIDEO_TS folder.

where do you find source title specific using fairmount? All i want is a ts folder... took 3 hours using fairmount... then noticed i have an old version of vlc player... got the new one and trying again...

themoonisdown09
Dec 9, 2008, 10:39 PM
DVD fab is a windows based right.... isnt this a mac related forum? Confused

Just because this is a Mac related forum, doesn't mean we don't use Windows. A lot of us run Windows using Parallels or VMWare Fusion while still in OS X.

where do you find source title specific using fairmount? All i want is a ts folder... took 3 hours using fairmount... then noticed i have an old version of vlc player... got the new one and trying again...

I had version 0.8.6d of VLC and when I did the title specific option in Handbrake, it was all distorted. I'm now downloading the newest version, 0.9.8a, so hopefully this will work.

aaronthomas
Dec 9, 2008, 10:43 PM
Just because this is a Mac related forum, doesn't mean we don't use Windows. A lot of us run Windows using Parallels or VMWare Fusion while still in OS X.

I had version 0.8.6d of VLC and when I did the title specific option in Handbrake, it was all distorted. I'm now downloading the newest version, 0.9.8a, so hopefully this will work.

Yeah... I just put in 0.9.8 as well.... keeping my fingers crossed... Sorry didnt mean to sound like a pecker about the windows thing... just dont have parallels

themoonisdown09
Dec 9, 2008, 10:56 PM
Yeah... I just put in 0.9.8 as well.... keeping my fingers crossed... Sorry didnt mean to sound like a pecker about the windows thing... just dont have parallels

Just so you know, it works now with the new version of VLC. Once installed, I went back to Handbrake and opened it using Title Specific on VTS_01_1.VOB. Then I typed in 1 for the title. It works perfectly.

NightStorm
Dec 9, 2008, 11:03 PM
Handbrake is not a ripper... the devs have made that pretty clear with the latest release.

aaronthomas
Dec 9, 2008, 11:04 PM
Just so you know, it works now with the new version of VLC. Once installed, I went back to Handbrake and opened it using Title Specific on VTS_01_1.VOB. Then I typed in 1 for the title. It works perfectly.
Really... mines still goen.... 3 hours left...just for a ts folder? Hmmmmm

themoonisdown09
Dec 9, 2008, 11:07 PM
Really... mines still goen.... 3 hours left...just for a ts folder? Hmmmmm

I always test it by converting only 1 chapter. This takes anywhere from 1-3 minutes. If it works, I convert the whole movie. My estimated time using the standard iPod preset was only 50 minutes for the whole movie. I'm not sure why yours would take that long.

aaronthomas
Dec 9, 2008, 11:10 PM
I always test it by converting only 1 chapter. This takes anywhere from 1-3 minutes. If it works, I convert the whole movie. My estimated time using the standard iPod preset was only 50 minutes for the whole movie. I'm not sure why yours would take that long.
Are you talking on handbrake or fairmount... im trying for a ts folder on fairmount

themoonisdown09
Dec 9, 2008, 11:11 PM
Are you talking on handbrake or fairmount... im trying for a ts folder on fairmount

I'm only using Handbrake. I've never tried fairmount.

aaronthomas
Dec 9, 2008, 11:13 PM
I'm only using Handbrake. I've never tried fairmount.

AAAAAAAAAAh.... Ok fairmount is a ripper... Handbrake compresses files.

themoonisdown09
Dec 9, 2008, 11:16 PM
AAAAAAAAAAh.... Ok fairmount is a ripper... Handbrake compresses files.

DVD Fab is a ripper and it only takes me about 40 minutes to rip an entire movie. I use that if I'm going to back up my movies or if Handbrake can't decrypt a movie that I want on my iPod.

aaronthomas
Dec 9, 2008, 11:19 PM
DVD Fab is a ripper and it only takes me about 40 minutes to rip an entire movie. I use that if I'm going to back up my movies or if Handbrake can't decrypt a movie that I want on my iPod.

Yeah...not sure why its taking so long... the first time I ripped it the ts folder contains everything needed and 7. something gigs but it doesnt play on the dvd player or on frontrow. Tryen now with updated vlc player installed

fivepoint
Dec 10, 2008, 07:50 AM
I had to use Fairmount on an iMac which took about 40 minutes to scan the disc then copy the individual files within the VIDEO_TS folder onto my thumb drive then onto my laptop into a new VIDEO_TS folder which Handbrake was quite happy to work with.

Some hardware issues meant I couldn't do the whole lot on the iMac hence the transfer but it did work.

No issues with the final rip either.

Can you tell me if the sound on your DVD copy is crap? Mine sounds like people are constantly covering then uncovering the mike. Up and down and the wrong sounds are highlighted (explosions sound like penny bungers whilst footsteps sound like explosions...

Did it last night with Fairmount and Handbrake. Worked perfectly. No problems with audio... the issues you describe are really weird! Good luck.

Cave Man
Dec 10, 2008, 08:42 AM
The Blu-ray Disc rips fine. :) And Handbrake seems to like it so far, too (VC-1 AC3). Should know if 1080p and 720p versions transcode properly later tonight...

xanderbear
Dec 10, 2008, 09:10 AM
I ripped DK with Fairmount but as soon as I bring it into HB it freezes up.. then I tried burning the folder using Toast and the same thing happens.. does the DK DVD need to be mounted with Fairmount for HB to recognize it? I did use RipIt which worked perfectly but, I cant play that on my Xbox360 tells me its a multimedia disk and can be used.

Now Im at a loss..

Eidorian
Dec 10, 2008, 09:19 AM
Anyone still need someone to give Dark Night a spin? Work should have copy in today or tomorrow.

Ninja Guidan
Dec 10, 2008, 09:49 AM
The Blu-ray Disc rips fine. :) And Handbrake seems to like it so far, too (VC-1 AC3). Should know if 1080p and 720p versions transcode properly later tonight...

What program did you use to rip the Blu-ray?

Itogator
Dec 10, 2008, 10:22 AM

2. Launch Handbrake
4. Select the DVD
5. Hit "Open"

This seems to be working! Thanks!

It stalled the first time I tried so I quit HB and restarted and it is working now. I am encoding using the legacy preset and I checked 2pass encoding and turbo first pass. The ouptut is the same as the DVD. It's going to take a while.

shortcakes808
Dec 10, 2008, 11:03 AM
I'm having the same problem with the Tinkerbell disk after trying MTR 2.6x - apparently there is a file open or something. I haven't been able to get back to fixing it - if you go to the MTR forums you'd see my post on the subject.

UGH.

Okay, so my friend was able to hb kung fu panda on her imac, but not tink. however, i was able hb tink on mine, but not kung fu panda. what's up with that?

Cave Man
Dec 10, 2008, 11:40 AM
What program did you use to rip the Blu-ray?

AnyDVD HD under bootcamp.

d21mike
Dec 10, 2008, 11:52 AM
Does anybody know what is different about the DVD's to make them so hard to read. I nomally use DVD Decrypter and it freezes trying to read the Dark Knight Disk. I tried RipIt4Me (need for 1 other DVD) which is kind of a frontend to DVD Decrypter and had to reboot my Windows Computer. I then just tried to COPY the DVD to my Hard Drive and could not even COPY it. However, I was able to play it with WMP. I am using Windows Vista.

sangosimo
Dec 10, 2008, 12:16 PM
AnyDVD HD under bootcamp.

Any DVD HD + img burn and you can rip anything on the planet. I setup a vm just for ripping. OSX doesn't have tools as good as the ones on the windows side.

kavika411
Dec 10, 2008, 01:35 PM
I'm curious whether anyone has had an opportunity to compare the picture quality of the following for The Dark Knight. (I doubt anyone has, but may be interesting.)

1. The DVD as played on a DVD player, versus
2. The DVD version after it is ripped and converted at high quality settings, versus
2. The downloadable version that comes with the expensive DVD set, versus
3. The iTunes HD version

Maybe it's novice question to pose, but I'd be interested to know how each of these compare.

Mr Kram
Dec 10, 2008, 01:36 PM
i encoded the movie last night using only hand brake using the title specific option. i just watched it today and it turned out perfect.

QuarterSwede
Dec 10, 2008, 01:43 PM
I'm curious whether anyone has had an opportunity to compare the picture quality of the following for The Dark Knight. (I doubt anyone has, but may be interesting.)

1. The DVD as played on a DVD player, versus
2. The DVD version after it is ripped and converted at high quality settings, versus
2. The downloadable version that comes with the expensive DVD set, versus
3. The iTunes HD version

Maybe it's novice question to pose, but I'd be interested to know how each of these compare.
I don't know how The Dark Knight compares but I've ripped plenty of other DVD's in my collection to my iPhone using 960kbps constant rate and they look easily as good as any retail digital copy I've seen, which is to say, beautiful. I usually use MTR to rip and Handbrake to encode.

Itogator
Dec 10, 2008, 03:58 PM
This seems to be working! Thanks!

It stalled the first time I tried so I quit HB and restarted and it is working now. I am encoding using the legacy preset and I checked 2pass encoding and turbo first pass. The ouptut is the same as the DVD. It's going to take a while.

Ok, its done. It looks terrible! The image is pixelated throughout. Can someone who did it using handbrake exclusively post what settings they used? Thanks

themoonisdown09
Dec 10, 2008, 04:01 PM
Ok, its done. It looks terrible! The image is pixelated throughout. Can someone who did it using handbrake exclusively post what settings they used? Thanks

In the presets bar, under the "High Profile" list, select Film.

Chundles
Dec 10, 2008, 04:28 PM

H.264
2000kbps
Loose anamorphic (1030x432 final output res but still works on iPhone)
Two Pass encoding (turbo 1st pass)
Hopped on the net and grabbed all the chapter names so it's easy to flick through the movie.

Final size was 2.2GB and it looks stunning both on my iPhone and when playing back on the computer or a larger screen. Took a little over an hour for the first scan and then about 2 and a half for the encode.

ingenious
Dec 10, 2008, 04:28 PM
Great program and not to mention I have a quad as well.

9/10 times when MTR fails it's because the user is still using 2.6.6.

all I'm seeing at http://www.mactheripper.org/ is 2.6.6... ideas?

refulgentis
Dec 10, 2008, 04:29 PM

BAH HUMBUG! I really hope the HB devs can figure this out, although I know they try their best with a free open source product.Its not Handbrake. It's new, harder, DVD protection schemes.

refulgentis
Dec 10, 2008, 04:30 PM
Is VLC in your Applications folder? It probably isn't, or isn't named VLC, or is an old copy of VLC.

themoonisdown09
Dec 10, 2008, 05:16 PM
all I'm seeing at http://www.mactheripper.org/ is 2.6.6... ideas?

I Googled it and found it here: http://www.simplehelp.net/2008/04/09/preview-mactheripper-v30-r14

It's not the latest build because it's still in beta. Here is a thread about it here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=294270).

ingenious
Dec 10, 2008, 05:28 PM
I Googled it and found it here: http://www.simplehelp.net/2008/04/09/preview-mactheripper-v30-r14

It's not the latest build because it's still in beta. Here is a thread about it here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=294270).

honest, i googled it, too, but all the links either listed 2.6.6 or looked a little "shady" to say the least.

xanderbear
Dec 10, 2008, 05:29 PM

It works perfectly for only 23 minutes then the chapter ends.. HB does not pull in the entire film, only that section of VOB file.. there are 6 more that make up the film..

themoonisdown09
Dec 10, 2008, 05:34 PM
It works perfectly for only 23 minutes then the chapter ends.. HB does not pull in the entire film, only that section of VOB file.. there are 6 more that make up the film..

It pulled all of them for me. Make sure that you're pointing to the correct file, have the latest version of VLC and the latest version of Handbrake.

dynaflash
Dec 10, 2008, 05:52 PM

Its not that tough. Just pick the VIDEO_TS folder (or its parent folder if you wish, but NOT the vob) and choose title 1.

Yes, HB can take a vob as input, but as you noted you will only get what that vob contains.

Don't overcomplicate it. Pick the dvd or VIDEO_TS folder as always, except using title specific so hb will only scan title 1 (whatever vobs that is comprised of). Done.

shortcakes808
Dec 10, 2008, 06:13 PM

Yup, this worked great for me too. i used dvdfab decrypter on my pc, and tried to hb it there. it wasn't working out, so i transfered the main movie video_ts to my mac, and had no problems. good tip to try on any other dvd's that can't directly hb on my mac. and i was thinking of throwing out my pc, well, that's one reason to keep it...

Cheffy Dave
Dec 10, 2008, 07:00 PM
Any DVD rips it just fine on XP, Can't get these people to make a Mac version, so I keep my tower for DVD's, btw I dislike handbrake , way to convoluted for me, Any DVD is one click simple, why can't this be made for a Mac

themoonisdown09
Dec 10, 2008, 07:06 PM
Its not that tough. Just pick the VIDEO_TS folder (or its parent folder if you wish, but NOT the vob) and choose title 1.

Yes, HB can take a vob as input, but as you noted you will only get what that vob contains.

Don't overcomplicate it. Pick the dvd or VIDEO_TS folder as always, except using title specific so hb will only scan title 1 (whatever vobs that is comprised of). Done.

That works too. I selected the vob file and then title 1 and it worked for me. Those are the instructions that were on the Handbrake forums.

VTMac
Dec 10, 2008, 07:30 PM
Any DVD rips it just fine on XP, Can't get these people to make a Mac version, so I keep my tower for DVD's, btw I dislike handbrake , way to convoluted for me, Any DVD is one click simple, why can't this be made for a Mac

AnyDVD and Handbrake don't even do the same things. You are comparing apples to oranges. Or wordprocessors to spreadsheets. Or in this case DVD rippers (AnyDVD) to transcoders (Handbrake).

AnyDVD makes a copy of a DVD and removes copy protection. Handbrake takes DVD (VOB) files and transcodes (converts) them into various formats suitable for playing on various devices, such as iPod or AppleTV. Handbrake will utilize an installed copy of VLC to attempt rip (copy) the DVD, but it has no native code to do that itself.

xanderbear
Dec 10, 2008, 07:44 PM

Choosing the parent folder locks up HB and I have to force quit to get out of it.. all of my software is the latest version, VLC and HB. Nothing complicated here, just doesnt work and freezes HB.

Ferd
Dec 10, 2008, 08:03 PM
That works too. I selected the vob file and then title 1 and it worked for me. Those are the instructions that were on the Handbrake forums.

I am trying to do this with Handbrake, and I am able to choose the VOB file and then hit open and my computer says it is opening but it never seems to progress. Did yours take a long time to open? And I can't seem to have the option to choose a Title until it is opened, is that correct?

Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

iunnohead
Dec 10, 2008, 08:21 PM
Hey guys!
I just ripped The Dark Knight (yay!) but forgot to add Chapter Titles. Does anyone know what they are (tried google) and if I am still able to add tehm after i already ripped?
Thanks!

deep thought
Dec 10, 2008, 08:26 PM
I have it on good authority that the following works for exporting your purchased copy of Dark Night to your portable handheld:
1) start fairmount and let it work on the DVD. It might take awhile. If you get impatient, just go to bed and get up early and it will be done doing its magic.
2) Copy the contents of the folder to a location on your harddrive and dismount the image.
3) open Handbrake. Using the file menu, select the "Open Source (Title Specific) option.
4)find the Video_TS folder you copied to the harddrive and select it
5) when it prompts you for a title, enter "1"

If you try letting handbrake scan the disc, it locks up. But it will load and process the title ok if you've alread decoded with fairplay AND use the Open Source command. If you try opening the Video-TS folder, even after it is decoded, handbrake will hang on you.

Ferd
Dec 10, 2008, 08:43 PM
I have it on good authority that the following works for exporting your purchased copy of Dark Night to your portable handheld:
1) start fairmount and let it work on the DVD. It might take awhile. If you get impatient, just go to bed and get up early and it will be done doing its magic.
2) Copy the contents of the folder to a location on your harddrive and dismount the image.
3) open Handbrake. Using the file menu, select the "Open Source (Title Specific) option.
4)find the Video_TS folder you copied to the harddrive and select it
5) when it prompts you for a title, enter "1"

If you try letting handbrake scan the disc, it locks up. But it will load and process the title ok if you've alread decoded with fairplay AND use the Open Source command. If you try opening the Video-TS folder, even after it is decoded, handbrake will hang on you.

Forgive all of the questions, I am trying despretely to figure this out. I have Fairmount running right now, but since I've never used it before, how will I know when it's done? Right now it reads: 32 MB and Bad sect 34

Also, since I have yet to get 10.5 yet, is there any reason why when I get this done my version of Handbrake (0.9.1) won't be able to finish up the job?

themoonisdown09
Dec 10, 2008, 08:46 PM
I am trying to do this with Handbrake, and I am able to choose the VOB file and then hit open and my computer says it is opening but it never seems to progress. Did yours take a long time to open? And I can't seem to have the option to choose a Title until it is opened, is that correct?

It only took about 5 seconds to open for me. Make sure the you went to File -> Open (Title Specific). If you click on the Source icon and select it, it will still give you problems.

Ferd
Dec 10, 2008, 08:52 PM
It only took about 5 seconds to open for me. Make sure the you went to File -> Open (Title Specific). If you click on the Source icon and select it, it will still give you problems.

Thank you for your help. Do I have this option if I don't have the latest version of handbrake? I don't have 10.5 yet so my version of handbrake is 0.9.1

themoonisdown09
Dec 10, 2008, 08:56 PM
Thank you for your help. Do I have this option if I don't have the latest version of handbrake? I don't have 10.5 yet so my version of handbrake is 0.9.1

Ahh... that's it. 0.9.1 doesn't have this option. Sorry.

Ferd
Dec 10, 2008, 09:02 PM
Ahh... that's it. 0.9.1 doesn't have this option. Sorry.

I figured that was it. Thanks for your help. Looks like I'm going to have to buy 10.5 now...

d21mike
Dec 10, 2008, 09:26 PM
I decided to get AnyDVD with HD Option (for future Blu-Ray) and it handled The Dark Knight without any problems.

In the past I was using "DVD Decrypter" to decrypt and copy the VIDEO_TS Folder to my main competer disk drive. Then I would use Handbrake to encode it for AppleTV. I have converted 95 DVD's and this is only the second DVD that DVD Decrypter could not handle. However, since DVD Decrypter is no longer supported I decided to give AnyDVD a try since I have seen it recommended a number of times. I have to say it works quite nice. I have Windows and it runs as a DVD Driver so that it will decrypt on the fly. However, for me I just used the "Rip Video DVD to my Harddisk" option which decrypts and copy's the VIDEO_TS Folder to my main computer disk drive.

However, it is a little expensive. DVD Decrypter is FREE but unsupported. AnyDVD is fully supported and cost EUR 63.20 (approx. $81.69 USD). I am not sure but about 1/2 the cost is for the HD Option. Also, if you buy before 1/2009 the web site says no future upgrade charges.

In case you are wondering, I have no connections whatsoever with the AnyDVD Company SkySoft.

deep thought
Dec 10, 2008, 09:28 PM
Forgive all of the questions, I am trying despretely to figure this out. I have Fairmount running right now, but since I've never used it before, how will I know when it's done? Right now it reads: 32 MB and Bad sect 34

Also, since I have yet to get 10.5 yet, is there any reason why when I get this done my version of Handbrake (0.9.1) won't be able to finish up the job?

I have 0.9.3 so cannot attest to 0.9.1 functioning. Sounds like you've already started the decoding process with fairmount (the disk said "successfully mounted") . The disk appears to have several bad sectors that take time to process. Let it work....like I said, go to bed, sleep while it works, and it should be done navigating through the bad sectors and creating a decoded VIDEO_TS folder by morn.

Copy that to your hard drive, then dismount the fairmount disk image, then open handbrake. Cancel out handbrake's initial attempt to find a file to open. This is important. Use the "Open source (selected title)" command that is located under the file menu. If you try using the stand open, Handbrake will attempt to process the entire VIDEO_TS folder and will freeze up - it has been decoded; but still has malicious stuff in some of the titles. You must use the Open Source (selected title) command, locate the Video_ts folder and when Handbrake presents you with a drop down menu to pick the title, pick "1".

d21mike
Dec 10, 2008, 09:45 PM
I decided to get AnyDVD with HD Option (for future Blu-Ray) and it handled The Dark Knight without any problems.

In the past I was using "DVD Decrypter" to decrypt and copy the VIDEO_TS Folder to my main competer disk drive. Then I would use Handbrake to encode it for AppleTV. I have converted 95 DVD's and this is only the second DVD that DVD Decrypter could not handle. However, since DVD Decrypter is no longer supported I decided to give AnyDVD a try since I have seen it recommended a number of times. I have to say it works quite nice. I have Windows and it runs as a DVD Driver so that it will decrypt on the fly. However, for me I just used the "Rip Video DVD to my Harddisk" option which decrypts and copy's the VIDEO_TS Folder to my main computer disk drive.

However, it is a little expensive. DVD Decrypter is FREE but unsupported. AnyDVD is fully supported and cost EUR 63.20 (approx. $81.69 USD). I am not sure but about 1/2 the cost is for the HD Option. Also, if you buy before 1/2009 the web site says no future upgrade charges.

In case you are wondering, I have no connections whatsoever with the AnyDVD Company SkySoft.

virgomac
Dec 10, 2008, 11:38 PM
Thought I'd share a little story...

I've got a ton of movies, prior to owning a macbook I did them all on a windows gaming PC. Rip time 10 minutes for just the main movie. Burn time 15 minutes using 4x speed. Total time usually 20-30 minutes max.

I used DVDFab, never ever ever had a disk that I couldn't burn using that software. Wanted to move away from windows so tried using Mac The Ripper and Popcorn, I had over a 50% fail rate, with it either not being able to work, or artifacts in the actual rip or compression.

I really wanted to move away from windows, I really tried, but in this aspect I just can't find a viable and reliable alternative. To put the sting out of it I loaded windows on bootcamp, but the rip times went from 10 minutes to 40 minutes. I'm assuming that's due to going from a machine with a dedicated nvidia 260 to the macbooks integrated card. That said however, handbreak vs the one in DVDFab is much better at least in so far as speed. It will re-encode to different formats much faster than DVDFab. The end results are the same, just a time difference.

So my 2 cents, if you want reliable go DVDFab, you won't be disappointed. Their updates are VERY fast, and new movie encryption and protocols are broken very fast. Downside of course is the $50 price tag.

unknowng
Dec 11, 2008, 08:27 AM
Just so you know, you don't have to use DVDFab to do the conversion. I rip my movies with their Free decryptor and then convert with Handbrake.

Greg

themoonisdown09
Dec 11, 2008, 08:29 AM
Just so you know, you don't have to use DVDFab to do the conversion. I rip my movies with their Free decryptor and then convert with Handbrake.

http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

Eidorian
Dec 11, 2008, 08:35 AM
http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htmDVDFab + Handbrake 0.93 + Q6600 = encoding love in Windows.

dynaflash
Dec 11, 2008, 09:10 AM

Okay, you *can* choose the individual VOB file, HandBrake will take vob's as input in most cases. However, I strongly suggest picking just the VIDEO_TS folder and title 1 since that will tell HB to read the IFO file and include whatever VOB's are comprised in Title 1 (or whichever title you are trying to get). Many new protection schemes will spread a given title out over many VOB's.

For specific info on the "Open Source (Title Specific)" feature it's explained here and can be used in many instances where a full scan will crash HB (like Wall-E and Dark Knight, etc.).

http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/SupportFAQ#titlespecificscan

Note: The HB FAQ has many other useful tips and can answer many questions.

dynaflash
Dec 11, 2008, 09:16 AM
Apologies, I got mixed up with the poster that tried vobset 1 and did not get all of the chapters. My bad.

Eidorian
Dec 11, 2008, 09:22 AM
Wait, why can't you download Handbrake 0.9.3? There is a PPC version of Handbrake 0.9.3 on their website:

http://handbrake.fr/?article=downloadIt requires Leopard.

themoonisdown09
Dec 11, 2008, 09:24 AM
It requires Leopard.

Yeah... I forgot.

Robbadore64
Dec 11, 2008, 10:38 AM
The problem I'm having is HB won't start when I click the "start" button. I have no clue why it does it on certain titles but doesn't on others. I get having glitches while encoding, but it's weird that it doesn't start at all.

About 1 of every 6 discs I try with the new Handbrake does this, same thing if I try to add to queue. No idea why, so I just added HB 9.2 to another folder and use this older version whenever HB9.3 does this to me. Guess I should stop being lazy and check the forums, just know you're not the only one.

fivepoint
Dec 11, 2008, 11:23 AM
About 1 of every 6 discs I try with the new Handbrake does this, same thing if I try to add to queue. No idea why, so I just added HB 9.2 to another folder and use this older version whenever HB9.3 does this to me. Guess I should stop being lazy and check the forums, just know you're not the only one.

I've had this problem as well, although it seems to be related to my personal presets as opposed to the Handbrake presets. If I click to start an encode with the 'fivepoint' preset, it won't do anything (just sits there), but if I do it with the AppleTV preset, it starts up and works just fine.

Strange.

jason78NY
Dec 11, 2008, 11:26 AM
Hi all (1st post here), I read through this thread as I am trying to make a copy of the Dark Knight as well and found the combo of FairMount & Roxio Popcorn to be working. I briefly popped the copy I just made into my DVD player here at work (and it seems to look and play fine) but I won't be able to fully test it until tonight.

I am using a Power Mac G5: OSX 10.4.11
I mounted and copied the VideoTS using "FairMount: V 1.0.2"
(w/VLC player: V 0.9.2 installed already)
and then burned the VideoTS (main movie only, not sure if this matters or not) to dvd w/"Roxio Popcorn: V 1.0.3"

if when I watch the copy I see any errors I will let you guys know, I verified the disc after it copied and everything seemed to go as it normally should.

Robbadore64
Dec 11, 2008, 12:49 PM
I've had this problem as well, although it seems to be related to my personal presets as opposed to the Handbrake presets. If I click to start an encode with the 'fivepoint' preset, it won't do anything (just sits there), but if I do it with the AppleTV preset, it starts up and works just fine.

Strange.

Yes Strange, thanks though, I'll give that a whirl next time. Just weird that I use the same custom preset that I've been using for over a year now which is based off that AppleTV preset and the older versions never cared. But I'll definitely try changing it next time.

FoxyKaye
Dec 11, 2008, 12:56 PM
Hi all (1st post here), I read through this thread as I am trying to make a copy of the Dark Knight as well and found the combo of FairMount & Roxio Popcorn to be working. I briefly popped the copy I just made into my DVD player here at work (and it seems to look and play fine) but I won't be able to fully test it until tonight.

I am using a Power Mac G5: OSX 10.4.11
I mounted and copied the VideoTS using "FairMount: V 1.0.2"
(w/VLC player: V 0.9.2 installed already)
and then burned the VideoTS (main movie only, not sure if this matters or not) to dvd w/"Roxio Popcorn: V 1.0.3"

if when I watch the copy I see any errors I will let you guys know, I verified the disc after it copied and everything seemed to go as it normally should.
I'm on a PPC iMac, so definitely post and let us know if this worked. Bought "Dark Knight" and wanted to watch on my iPod for an upcoming plane trip, so any info is good info.

ecant2200
Dec 11, 2008, 04:34 PM
I am in the process of ripping my copy of The Dark Knight with Handbrake now. I was having problems too but the forums on the handbrake website helped me.

Basically File --> Open Source (Title Specific) then type Title "1" should be good to go. I followed those instructions from the handbrake website and I'm in the process of ripping it as we speak. So here's to hoping!

How long did it take to scan, because mine is taking forever!

northy124
Dec 11, 2008, 05:09 PM
Can I ask if anyone has tried AnyDVD? I know Windows but they seem to be able to rip everything.

Lebowski
Dec 11, 2008, 08:30 PM

got the digital copy loaded into iTunes last night. took less than 3 minutes. (on my quad G5 OS 10.4)

stepbrothers digital copy however will not work with mac. and it says the system requirements on the box, stating WINDOWS only.

AWDBat
Dec 11, 2008, 10:49 PM
Used YadeX to extract Chapters 9 & 10 (the movie file) and then used HandBrake to convert to mp4. Works great and can play it on Boxee, Sapphire, NitoTV, iPhone, Macbook. Got the digital copy too for extra backup.

Orge
Dec 11, 2008, 11:07 PM
I've just tried to rip a UK rental copy using Fairmount (latest versions for both Fairmount and VLC). Although the resulting folder played with VLC, it would not work with DVD Player outright. Consequently, I have run it through DVD2ONEX using the Dual-Layer Setting to extract the main title. In theory, this will mean it is not compressed, but I'm hoping it will fix any errors... A brief skip through suggests that audio and video are both playing ok. I'll watch it again tomorrow and post back to confirm whether this method worked.

J

arclight
Dec 12, 2008, 04:59 AM

Thats exactly it....most rip issues are due to empty cells.

arclight
Dec 12, 2008, 05:00 AM
Actually you use dvd player to see which title the main feature starts with. Then you do a title specific source search.

jason78NY
Dec 12, 2008, 08:17 AM
I'm on a PPC iMac, so definitely post and let us know if this worked. Bought "Dark Knight" and wanted to watch on my iPod for an upcoming plane trip, so any info is good info.It worked... I watched it last night on a standard DVD player.

Orge
Dec 12, 2008, 09:09 AM
Ok, looks like my rip was a partial success. As I said above, DVD Player now opens the folder produced by DVD2ONEX and plays it, so the encryption has been successfully removed. However, there is a glitch right at the start which will hang DVD player with a beachball. I think this is probably a remanent of the new copy protection. The good news is that skipping the play position on a few secs bypasses this. I have a feeling there might be a further glitch later on, as there were 2-3 points where the ripping software seemed to struggle. However, I haven't watched it all the way through yet.

It is definitely possible to open the source folder with Handbrake using the Title specific option. I suspect re-encoding from this point will be successful, but obviously doesn't give the option to create a full DVD backup. Anybody who wants a reliable 1-2-1 backup should probably rip it using one of the recommended Windows utilities.

J

eisnach41
Dec 12, 2008, 09:45 AM
I selected "VTS_01_1.VOB" (the first large VOB file) and typed "1" in the box when it asked "Scan title number _ for VTS_01_1.VOB"

I did this and the time was just over 2.5 hours (not 1hr52min indicated above) and it seemingly was fine after being compressed via hb. However I went to play it and the audio was about 2-3 seconds behind!! Is anyone else having this problem?

macbooknewbie
Dec 12, 2008, 02:02 PM

2. Launch Handbrake
4. Select the DVD
5. Hit "Open"

I tried the handbrake copy but the audio was off so I want to try copying with Fairmount. Can someone go thru the steps, I already downloaded Fairmount and VLC? Also my first post and first time with Mac

VTMac
Dec 12, 2008, 03:12 PM
Handbrake and Fairmount are do two totally different things. You can not substitute one for the other. So the question is what are you trying to accomplish?

Fairmount removes various copy protections and enables you to rip (copy) the files to your hard drive.

Handbrake takes DVD files and transcodes (converts) them to various formats suitable for playback on various devices, such as iPods or AppleTVs.

Sometimes you need to use both together. For example, you may need to use fairmount to get around some copy protections, and then use Handbrake to convert the files into a format for playing on your AppleTV.

It's also worth point out that the 3rd type of software is DVD burning software. This software will typically take a DVD files (usually from something like Fairmount) and compress and otherwise manipulate them for burning back to DVD.

So the question is .. what are you trying to do.

macbooknewbie
Dec 12, 2008, 04:07 PM
Handbrake and Fairmount are do two totally different things. You can not substitute one for the other. So the question is what are you trying to accomplish?

Fairmount removes various copy protections and enables you to rip (copy) the files to your hard drive.

Handbrake takes DVD files and transcodes (converts) them to various formats suitable for playback on various devices, such as iPods or AppleTVs.

Sometimes you need to use both together. For example, you may need to use fairmount to get around some copy protections, and then use Handbrake to convert the files into a format for playing on your AppleTV.

It's also worth point out that the 3rd type of software is DVD burning software. This software will typically take a DVD files (usually from something like Fairmount) and compress and otherwise manipulate them for burning back to DVD.

So the question is .. what are you trying to do.

All I am trying to do is copy the dvd onto my mac so that I can watch it on there later.. have a viewable copy on my mac.

sapporobaby
Dec 12, 2008, 07:06 PM
Hi,

I have MTR 3 (build 14). Is this the latest version and if not, where can a later version be found?

VTMac
Dec 12, 2008, 07:35 PM
All I am trying to do is copy the dvd onto my mac so that I can watch it on there later.. have a viewable copy on my mac.

Then all you need to do is use fairmount. Startup fairmount and insert the DVD. A fairmount window will open with progress that looks like cream cheese being spread across a bagel. When it's full spread, the dvd is ready to be copied. The just drag the files to your harddrive. Note that depending on the dvd the mounting process can take a very, very long time. Be patient. Same with copying.

brothman
Dec 13, 2008, 03:44 AM
But this forum showed me how to fix it!!! Just use HandBrake,
File > Open Source (Title Specific) [The second option]
and type a "1" into the box when it asks for input on the next screen.

It is ripping right now, and it looks like it is working!

LinMac
Dec 13, 2008, 08:22 AM
Fairmount + DTOX worked like a charm to rip it. Handbrake 0.9.3 converted it without any problems after it was ripped to an image. :D

32hammertime
Dec 13, 2008, 02:59 PM
K so I bought the Black Night DVD copy and wanted a digital version on my imac
I did the whole file>title specific, selected movie, entered 1, finished converting the movie, but when i go 2 play the movie there is about a 2 second lag in sound, but it only lasts about half the movie, its lagging then suddenly it switches back 2 normal
Is there a way where i can split the quick time movie in half, fix the lag problem, then join the movie back together?

woolyback
Dec 14, 2008, 12:28 PM
I did the whole file>title specific, selected movie, entered 1, finished converting the movie, but when i go 2 play the movie there is about a 2 second lag in sound

Same here so I'm going to give the fairmount option a go over night - will let you know if it fixes it

fishface17
Dec 14, 2008, 09:06 PM

2. Launch Handbrake
4. Select the DVD
5. Hit "Open"

Thanks man!! I bought the DVD but also wanted to see it on my ipod touch and couldn't rip it. Thanks again.

reedspalding
Dec 15, 2008, 08:45 AM

2. Launch Handbrake
4. Select the DVD
5. Hit "Open"

The handbrake instructions provided here worked like a charm. Thanks so much for posting.

woolyback
Dec 15, 2008, 10:20 AM
K so I bought the Black Night DVD copy and wanted a digital version on my imac
I did the whole file>title specific, selected movie, entered 1, finished converting the movie, but when i go 2 play the movie there is about a 2 second lag in sound, but it only lasts about half the movie, its lagging then suddenly it switches back 2 normal
Is there a way where i can split the quick time movie in half, fix the lag problem, then join the movie back together?

have you got HB ver 9.3 installed ? I had the same problem using 9.2, upgraded and it worked a treat :D

reedspalding
Dec 15, 2008, 08:39 PM
have you got HB ver 9.3 installed ? I had the same problem using 9.2, upgraded and it worked a treat :D

After posting that it worked, I had the same problem, but I just upgraded to 0.9.3 and am in the process of encoding, so hopefully this works. I'll post later to let people know. :cool:

reedspalding
Dec 15, 2008, 10:55 PM

For anyone that is having the sound problem, you need to have the latest version of HB (0.9.3). Just upgraded and it worked. Thank you to this wonderful person that enlightened me.

Burnam
Dec 17, 2008, 07:49 AM

Burnam
Dec 17, 2008, 07:55 AM

i was using dvd decryptor and picked up a free trial copy of anydvd because it was advised for tdk rips on this forum. i'm using that in unison with videora ipod converter and keep getting spanish audio from the rip. any clue how to change that to english? thanks...

Matt-Man-Plus
Dec 17, 2008, 06:57 PM

2. Launch Handbrake
4. Select the DVD
5. Hit "Open"

I know this a Mac forum. I have a PC and have been using HB for windows to get my DVD's into itunes as I am getting a macbook for Christmas.
That being said, the Windows version of HB obviously isn't the same. I would love to get this movie into my library. When I click on "file", the option I get is "exit". I don't get an option for "open source (title specific)"

I can use the "source" button and browse to the files on the disc but they all fail. Even if I put a "1" in the title box, (which normally says "automatic")

I've been using HB with VLC (all the latest versions) and DVD43. Has anyone successfully used HB for Windows with this DVD?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

d21mike
Dec 17, 2008, 07:27 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

2. Launch Handbrake
4. Select the DVD
5. Hit "Open"

I know this a Mac forum. I have a PC and have been using HB for windows to get my DVD's into itunes as I am getting a macbook for Christmas.
That being said, the Windows version of HB obviously isn't the same. I would love to get this movie into my library. When I click on "file", the option I get is "exit". I don't get an option for "open source (title specific)"

I can use the "source" button and browse to the files on the disc but they all fail. Even if I put a "1" in the title box, (which normally says "automatic")

I've been using HB with VLC (all the latest versions) and DVD43. Has anyone successfully used HB for Windows with this DVD?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I could not get it to work on Windows with DVD Decrypterr and then Handbrake 93. Or just using Handbrake 93 so I got AnyDvd. I was able to get working within the 21 day trial and bought it after. See my earlier post for more if you want.

stockcerts
Dec 17, 2008, 09:27 PM
I've had no luck ripping the file with Handbrake on my Mac. Has anyone got this to work?

dynaflash
Dec 18, 2008, 05:19 AM
I've had no luck ripping the file with Handbrake on my Mac. Has anyone got this to work?
Um, have you read the thread ? It would appear that people saying it works means "someone" got it to work.

stockcerts
Dec 18, 2008, 06:10 AM
Um, have you read the thread ? It would appear that people saying it works means "someone" got it to work.

Um, yes....I read the thread, and some of the processes stated did not work for me.

toddngina
Dec 18, 2008, 12:15 PM
This worked just fine for me:
- Rip the DVD to an .iso on my windows machine using DVDFab (almost 6gb)
- Transfer the .iso file to my Mac over my wireless network
- Convert to .m4v using Handbrake 9.3 with universal preset (1.8 gb)
- Tagged with new version of MetaX - Chapter tags work great now!

themoonisdown09
Dec 18, 2008, 12:18 PM
Um, yes....I read the thread, and some of the processes stated did not work for me.

What version of OS X do you have? If you have 10.4, then you can't use the new Handbrake. If you do, then you can download the newest version of VLC and Handbrake and follow the "Title Specific" instructions.

DrWho
Dec 19, 2008, 03:08 AM
I connected a external dvd player to my dvd recorder and tried to record it that way, In theory this would have worked I got the picture to appear on the screen and I had audio and video but it than said the signal is copy protected recording not possible

any possible way to get around this, or has a solution for those using 10.4.11 tiger OS X finally been found other than MTR and Fairmount

bijou
Dec 19, 2008, 09:02 AM
Thanks to those who posted instructions, I was able to rip this successfully.:)

dnbfiend2600
Dec 22, 2008, 07:40 PM
I just got my macbook and i downloaded MTR, HB, and FMount. Which files do I use to make a feature only folder to convert with HB? I started to drag the entire DVD contents from Fmount to a new folder on the desktop...it was gonna be 56GIGS!!!!!! That cant be right can it? All I want is just the movie. :confused::confused::confused:

VTMac
Dec 22, 2008, 08:39 PM
I just got my macbook and i downloaded MTR, HB, and FMount. Which files do I use to make a feature only folder to convert with HB? I started to drag the entire DVD contents from Fmount to a new folder on the desktop...it was gonna be 56GIGS!!!!!! That cant be right can it? All I want is just the movie. :confused::confused::confused:

Just use Handbrake and be done with it. Stick the DVD in. Choose File Open Title Specific, enter 1. Select Apple TV (or Universal) preset. Go.

dnbfiend2600
Dec 22, 2008, 10:05 PM
Ok, HB has been running for a good hour now...and its only on .09% of the actual conversion...and in the activity window it shows that there are sync errors...23 frames dropped here and there. in the event that this doesnt work...do i reboot and try again? and to use Fairmount, which files do i drag out? all of them?

Cheffy Dave
Dec 23, 2008, 01:33 AM
THE best way to rip a movie is with Any DVD, period! so friggin simple;)
Has to be in a windows environment however, or on a PC. What a shame Slysoft won't make a Mac version:mad:

mdh21
Dec 23, 2008, 10:02 AM
Hello,
I am having audio problems when copying newer DVDs to generate a ipod compatible file. Some of the DVDs I've encountered this problem are: The Dark Knight, Star Wars the Clone Wars, Enchanted, Tropic Thunder, and a few others I am forgetting right now. I use Fairmount, DVD2One, and HandBrake; normally this works fine, however with these DVDs mentioned above, the audio is in sync during the beginning of the movie (and I think during the beginning of the chapters) but falls out of sync, by about 3-5 seconds during the middle of the movie. VLC is able to play the video TS folder that is generated by DVD2One fine (i.e. with no audio problems) so I don't think it's a problem copying the disc to my computer, but rather a problem with handbrake generating the new movie file. I've tried each disc multiple times with different settings (mainly the Ipod Hi and low rez and the PS3 and Normal settings). Please let me know if anyone has any solutions to this problem, or if this is some new mechanism the movie industry is using to prevent disc copying and forcing consumers to purchase both hard and digital copies of their films. Thanks. By the way I am trying to do this on a Mac, and do not have access to a PC

sangosimo
Dec 23, 2008, 10:28 AM
ripping a disc with copy protection is illegal...

themoonisdown09
Dec 23, 2008, 10:33 AM

What?

... long post ...

Try going this route and see if it works out better:

1. Download the latest version of Handbrake (http://handbrake.fr/?article=download) (0.3.9).
2. Download the latest version of the VLC Player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) (the newest version of Handbrake uses the decryption libraries from this).
3. Use Handbrake to rip/encode using the iPod preset.

sangosimo
Dec 23, 2008, 10:49 AM
What?

ripping a disc in a manner that breaks copy protection is illegal.

themoonisdown09
Dec 23, 2008, 10:56 AM

This is not really the place to discuss this.

Ninja Guidan
Dec 23, 2008, 01:03 PM
Just curious...does the DVD NOT come with a digital copy of the movie?

themoonisdown09
Dec 23, 2008, 01:07 PM
Just curious...does the DVD NOT come with a digital copy of the movie?

Only the 2-disc special edition and Blu-ray version.

mkrishnan
Dec 23, 2008, 01:14 PM
Only the 2-disc special edition and Blu-ray version.

My one-disc (as far as I know? Widescreen version ... It was a white elephant Christmas gift) came with the coupon code for the digital version. But it also explicitly states that it is not Mac / iTunes / iPod compatible... I have not downloaded it yet, though.

themoonisdown09
Dec 23, 2008, 01:16 PM
My one-disc (as far as I know? Widescreen version ... It was a white elephant Christmas gift) came with the coupon code for the digital version. But it also explicitly states that it is not Mac / iTunes / iPod compatible... I have not downloaded it yet, though.

Really? I was thinking the one-disc version didn't come with it. I don't know for sure because I bought the 2-disc special edition and the digital copy is on the second disc.

mkrishnan
Dec 23, 2008, 01:17 PM
Really? I was thinking the one-disc version didn't come with it. I wouldn't know for sure because I bought the 2-disc special edition and the digital copy is on the second disc.

Ahhh, perhaps that's the difference. I didn't receive a digital copy. I received a coupon to download one somehow.

So does the digital copy you received work in iTunes?

themoonisdown09
Dec 23, 2008, 01:19 PM
Ahhh, perhaps that's the difference. I didn't receive a digital copy. I received a coupon to download one somehow.

So does the digital copy you received work in iTunes?

I'm not sure, I haven't tried it yet. I got a digital copy with The Nightmare Before Christmas and it worked in iTunes. It works the same as if you bought the movie off of iTunes. You have to authorize it and junk.

That's why I usually do it myself with Handbrake because then you don't have any limitations.

mkrishnan
Dec 23, 2008, 01:21 PM
That's why I usually do it myself with Handbrake because then you don't have any limitations.

I hear you... when I use rips (temporarily, usually), I usually want them for my Eee, and usually I actually want a full DVD rip with menus and special features on an SDHC, instead of a converted rip....

BongObonG
Dec 23, 2008, 08:26 PM
I used fairmount and pasted the Video_TS folder onto my docs. I tried to burn this with popcorn 3, but it freezes up. Any other ideas (I don't want to convert the DVD, just duplicate it).

Burnam
Dec 24, 2008, 04:50 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I could not get it to work on Windows with DVD Decrypterr and then Handbrake 93. Or just using Handbrake 93 so I got AnyDvd. I was able to get working within the 21 day trial and bought it after. See my earlier post for more if you want.

i'm trying to go through anydvd (21 day trial, that is) and then dvd decripter. the rip is working but it is consistently in spanish audio. is there a way to use anydvd like dvddecripter and rip straight from that? if there is, i've yet to discover it. anyway, tell me what you are doing to get the rip in english.

please and thank you...

-b

alphaod
Dec 24, 2008, 08:28 AM

No it's not. It's perfectly legal to back up your own media per DMCA.

tyler785
Dec 24, 2008, 08:41 AM
I ripped it using HB on my mac, but i downloaded the command line version of it. Just navigate to the folder where you downloaded HB to.

Run this command, drutil status

This will tell you where your cd drive is located. Then run

./HandBrakeCLI -Z "AppleTV" -t 1 -I -v -i /dev/disk1 -o darkKnight.m4v

This will rip it using the AppleTV presets and place it in the directory where HBCLI is located. If you want to use other presets then do a ./HandBrakeCLI --help and read through it for the preset area and change the AppleTV text. You can tweak other settings too if you want.

mkrishnan
Dec 24, 2008, 03:17 PM
Really? I was thinking the one-disc version didn't come with it. I don't know for sure because I bought the 2-disc special edition and the digital copy is on the second disc.

FWIW, the one disc version came with a code to get a discount... For $1.99, I could buy a useless Windows Media DRM'd version of DK that only works on Windows PCs in Media Player (I don't even think it "playsforsure," although I'm not certain). :rolleyes:

PBG4orce
Dec 25, 2008, 01:31 AM
Taken from ripdifferent.com forum

gonecatn wrote:
I got a working movie only using fairmount 1.0.2 and detox 2.3.0.
Insert the movie and let the image come up on the desktop.
Open fairmount and it changes the icon to a disk image and the fairmount window reads 16 mb read.
Open detox and wait 5 minutes for the spinning wheel to stop and the program to open and select movie only and you will have a file in about 45 minutes.
I burned with toast 7 and it looks like a perfect copy.
I still have to watch the original movie to compare, but it has the same chapters right to the ending credits.........

I have 10.4.11 tiger on an old intel Imac with a **** drive
------

Worked like a charm, exactly as stated. Thanks

PBG4 early 2006; 1.67 GHz PowerPC G4; 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM; Tiger 10.4.11; Matshita DVD-R UJ-846; FairMount 1.0.2; Trial Version DVD2OneX2 2.3.0; Toast 7.1.3

Season's Greetings, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah & Kwanzaa. All the best for 2009.

seamuskrat
Dec 25, 2008, 07:24 AM
I always have trouble finding the most recent MTR. I only see the 2.x version.

dbigo
Dec 25, 2008, 08:23 AM
1. I rip the disc using ripit.
2. I extracted the vts file using fairmount
3. I used dtox or dvd2one to remove encrytion and make vts file a disc image and
4 use disc utility to make a perfect playable copy on a dvd

i don't know how i came up with this, i just messed around and it works.

mkrishnan
Dec 25, 2008, 08:47 AM
I always have trouble finding the most recent MTR. I only see the 2.x version.

MTR has been in a closed, non-free beta program for about 2.5 years now...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=294270

To gain access to a current 3.x version of MTR, one must donate monetarily to the developers, AFAIK. More info on their forums as well as through our thread above.

aj5521
Dec 25, 2008, 09:53 AM
i was able to make a copy using wondershare dvd ripper, although it's not free ($20), but perfect quality.

to avoid app from locking up while reading dvd, load .ifo instead of open dvd, select movie, voila.

razorianfly
Dec 26, 2008, 06:56 PM
Ok so I recieved this over the holidays too and am currently following the Handbrake instructions using v0.9.3

I've selected 'Title Specific' and typed in 1 in the little box,
but all I'm getting is Handbrake scanning 1 of 22 titles endlessly.

Already tried once and got 2 second lag in sound.
Maybe TDK really is uncopyable.

I even got the two-disc edition, thinking I'd get the digital copy,
but apparently it's state-side only.

[Edit] - Handbrake method working - Had to wait 30-35 minutes for it to read the title entitled '1'.

R-Fly

rm2092
Dec 27, 2008, 05:41 PM
Ok I did like everyone said, I put the number 1 in the title box and now I see all 40 chapters. Now I hit the start button and nothing. Any clue to what is going on ?

rm2092
Dec 27, 2008, 05:58 PM
Wait I think I got it working ? 1 hour and something to wait and see.

rm2092
Dec 27, 2008, 08:16 PM
Well if anyone is still working on this it does work.

ThunderRobot
Dec 28, 2008, 05:31 PM

Nice first post. This method definately works. Just finished ripping a region 2 copy of The Dark Knight using it.

Desamell
Dec 29, 2008, 04:45 PM
it ripped so i can only use it in the dvd player program does anyone know how to get it to itunes with MP4 or quicktime

Hysterikz
Dec 29, 2008, 04:50 PM
Download a programme called Visual Hub and you can convert it to the format Itunes plays videos in.

SHADO
Dec 29, 2008, 05:23 PM
It's called iSquint. There's also Handbrake.

Desamell
Dec 29, 2008, 05:31 PM
Ugh nevermind. Can anyone answer why the .VOB files are in Spanish?

SkyBell
Dec 30, 2008, 11:00 PM
Ok, I'm running 10.4 and can only use Handbrake 0.9.1...

I don't see a "(Title specific) Open source" option... Am I out of luck, or am I missing something obvious...

Chundles
Dec 30, 2008, 11:09 PM

I don't see a "(Title specific) Open source" option... Am I out of luck, or am I missing something obvious...

Go to File and drop down the menu - if there's an item that says "Open Source (Title Specific) then you're in luck. Click on it, select the DVD and then click the first .nfo file in the list. It will ask you for a title number. Put in number 1 and Handbrake will allow you to rip.

If you don't see the menu option well then you're pretty much stuffed.

SkyBell
Dec 30, 2008, 11:16 PM
This is what I see...

Chundles
Dec 30, 2008, 11:18 PM
This is what I see...

Sorry Cassie but it would appear that you're stuffed. ;)

Unfortunately the version of Handbrake you have doesn't support this option.

SkyBell
Dec 30, 2008, 11:22 PM
Sorry Cassie but it would appear that you're stuffed. ;)

Unfortunately the version of Handbrake you have doesn't support this option.

Well, shoot.

Although the thought just occurred to me that I could probably use FairMount and transfer the "DVD" to my external HDD, where I could then use a current version of Handbrake from my Mac mini to rip it, then transfer that back to my iBook... (The mini doesn't have an optical drive, so it wasn't the first thing that came to my mind.:o)

Chundles
Dec 30, 2008, 11:35 PM
Well, shoot.

Although the thought just occurred to me that I could probably use FairMount and transfer the "DVD" to my external HDD, where I could then use a current version of Handbrake from my Mac mini to rip it, then transfer that back to my iBook... (The mini doesn't have an optical drive, so it wasn't the first thing that came to my mind.:o)

That's how I did it the first time. FairMount then copied the files in the Video_TS folder to another computer and used Handbrake on that.

You took the drive out of the mini?

huntca
Dec 30, 2008, 11:48 PM

The main title on my disk was title 30. I imagine that your disk is the same. When in doubt, just play the DVD in the Mac OS X DVD player and, while watching the main feature, right-click on the video and see what title is playing.

You can encode title 30 easily with the HandBrakeCLI. This assumes you use the AppleTV preset. Look here (http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/CLIGuide) for more help with the HandBrakeCLI.

HandBrakeCLI -i /Volumes/DVD -o movie.mp4 -t 30 --preset="AppleTV"

rm2092
Jan 1, 2009, 12:36 PM
I just tried the trial version and it works fast. I ordered Toast 9 and when that comes in Im hopeing it all works together ? here is the link

http://ripitapp.com/

IamDaniel
Jan 3, 2009, 10:48 AM

So I read this guy's post... and (having the latest version of HB) I tried exactly what he said. -Proud to say that I am at this moment ripping The Dark Knight for my iPod Touch enjoyment! Sweet!
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU HANDBRAKE!!!

alaskamama
Jan 7, 2009, 06:40 PM
yes I know...my friend with Nero could not do it either....we wanted a copy to save from the kids scratching the original...which they do often!!
bummer....:mad:

Hi folks,

So I bought the cheaper version of DK b/c i didn't want the special features, but of course, their 'digital copy' came with the more expensive version.

I figured I'd HB it and be good to go.

wrong.

mtr nor hb will work. hb just keep trying to read it and mtr reads it, but the go button is not hilighted.

bummer.

alaskamama
Jan 7, 2009, 06:52 PM
Is it worth getting MTR 3~It is no longer freeware...is everybody doing fine with version 2 or is another ripper available>?:confused:

alaskamama
Jan 7, 2009, 07:06 PM
Is anybody using the 9? I have been using 8 and love it...no problems and no glitches...is it worth updgrading to 9?
I see the 10 is coming out this month....what do they do better?:p

LevMac
Jan 8, 2009, 01:22 AM
Some good information in here guys thanks !

The handbrake method is good, but what if I wanted to make an exact copy of the DVD ?

Would Fairmount make a VIDEO_TS folder for me to copy ?

Jakeblu
Jan 8, 2009, 05:53 AM

Thanks for that. It worked a treat.:D

Krispy162
Jan 8, 2009, 01:32 PM
So i have dark knight ripped to my computer in an mp4 format used from Handbrake. If i wanted to put that on a dvd what would i use?

I opened up dtox and when i tried to select that file it was greyed out.

themoonisdown09
Jan 8, 2009, 01:36 PM
So i have dark knight ripped to my computer in an mp4 format used from Handbrake. If i wanted to put that on a dvd what would i use?

I opened up dtox and when i tried to select that file it was greyed out.

Why would you convert it to an MP4 and then try to burn that on a DVD?

If you're wanting to make a backup of The Dark Knight, use a program called Fairmount (http://www.metakine.com/products/fairmount/). This will decrypt the DVD and allow you to use a program like Toast or Disk Utility to burn it.

Krispy162
Jan 8, 2009, 01:38 PM
Why would you convert it to an MP4 and then try to burn that on a DVD?

If you're wanting to make a backup of The Dark Knight, use a program called Fairmount (http://www.metakine.com/products/fairmount/). This will decrypt the DVD and allow you to use a program like Toast or Disk Utility to burn it.

Oh i see. Okay i'll try fairmount

themoonisdown09
Jan 8, 2009, 01:40 PM
Oh i see. Okay i'll try fairmount

Just remember that FairMount does not perform the actual decryption, it simply forwards the data to VLC Media Player which is used for decryption. That means that VLC Media Player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) must be installed for FairMount to work.

Krispy162
Jan 8, 2009, 01:43 PM
Just remember that FairMount does not perform the actual decryption, it simply forwards the data to VLC Media Player which is used for decryption. That means that VLC Media Player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) must be installed for FairMount to work.

So fairmount finished and says Fair Disk is Mounted. What do i do next?

themoonisdown09
Jan 8, 2009, 02:02 PM
So fairmount finished and says Fair Disk is Mounted. What do i do next?

You should see The Dark Knight mounted on your desktop. If not, go into Finder and you should see it on the left.

Open up the mounted content and you should see the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder. You can now create a folder on your desktop called The Dark Knight and then copy the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders into it.

Once the folders are copied over, use the created folder as a source when burning it to DVD.

Krispy162
Jan 8, 2009, 03:18 PM
You should see The Dark Knight mounted on your desktop. If not, go into Finder and you should see it on the left.

Open up the mounted content and you should see the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder. You can now create a folder on your desktop called The Dark Knight and then copy the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders into it.

Once the folders are copied over, use the created folder as a source when burning it to DVD.

Trying that now.. hopefully this solves all my problems lol

Krispy162
Jan 8, 2009, 04:09 PM
I guess it couldn't be this easy

Used Fairmount. Mounted to my desktop i dragged both folders to a new folder i created. I open Dtox and i get this error message: Creating image failed.:/Users/hanner/Desktop/Dark Knight/VIDEO_TS/Dark Knight.img

2nd i tried Toast and the whole computer freezes trying to get the dark knight files onto toast

themoonisdown09
Jan 8, 2009, 05:15 PM
Used Fairmount. Mounted to my desktop i dragged both folders to a new folder i created. I open Dtox and i get this error message: Creating image failed.:/Users/hanner/Desktop/Dark Knight/VIDEO_TS/Dark Knight.img

2nd i tried Toast and the whole computer freezes trying to get the dark knight files onto toast

I've never used Dtox, so I can't help you with that.

What version of Toast do you have? I have Toast 8, so if you have a version around that, it should be pretty similar. Make sure you have VIDEO_TS Folder selected under the Video tab. On the right side, click the Select button and locate your copied VIDEO_TS folder.

If this is what you did... is this where it's freezing up?

Krispy162
Jan 8, 2009, 06:23 PM
I've never used Dtox, so I can't help you with that.

What version of Toast do you have? I have Toast 8, so if you have a version around that, it should be pretty similar. Make sure you have VIDEO_TS Folder selected under the Video tab. On the right side, click the Select button and locate your copied VIDEO_TS folder.

If this is what you did... is this where it's freezing up?

okay i didnt have the video ts selected on the left side. Now i see that the file size is to big. The Use fit-to-dvd video compression is checked. The file is 7.23GB.. is that all i need to do?

themoonisdown09
Jan 8, 2009, 06:26 PM
okay i didnt have the video ts selected on the left side. Now i see that the file size is to big. The Use fit-to-dvd video compression is checked. The file is 7.23GB.. is that all i need to do?

Try it. It will let you know if it won't fit.

Krispy162
Jan 8, 2009, 06:41 PM
Okay i tried it and it started but then just quitted and shut itself. I re opened it and went to hit settings and it froze a little then closed itself?

complicated geez!

themoonisdown09
Jan 8, 2009, 06:43 PM
Okay i tried it and it started but then just quitted and shut itself. I re opened it and went to hit settings and it froze a little then closed itself?

complicated geez!

Ha... I don't know now. It's usually not complicated at all.

Eidorian
Jan 8, 2009, 06:51 PM
Worked just fine using DVDFab and Handbrake 0.9.3 on Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

Krispy162
Jan 8, 2009, 06:52 PM
Yeah i've made it complicated! We can just write it off as a lost cause. Thanks for ur help anyways

mpreilly924
Jan 11, 2009, 04:11 PM

This worked great

rwoolsey
Jan 11, 2009, 08:24 PM
Anybody experience their audio playing back ahead of the video?

Jeff979
Jan 15, 2009, 10:14 PM
I've almost gotten mine to rip, but I'm having a problem with sound. I'm on a G4 with OS 10.4.11 and I used fairmount to decrypt the dvd and then I opened up one of the VOB files within the video_ts folder with the source for handbrake. When it finishes ripping, I have perfect image quality, but I have no sound at all. Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? Is there a file you are supposed to rip with the VOB file? Help would be appretiated :D

dynaflash
Jan 15, 2009, 10:39 PM
I've almost gotten mine to rip, but I'm having a problem with sound. I'm on a G4 with OS 10.4.11 and I used fairmount to decrypt the dvd and then I opened up one of the VOB files within the video_ts folder with the source for handbrake. When it finishes ripping, I have perfect image quality, but I have no sound at all. Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? Is there a file you are supposed to rip with the VOB file? Help would be appretiated :D
I am very doubtful that HB 0.9.1 will work with anything like Dark Knight. Upgrade to HB 0.9.3 and follow the steps earlier in this thread.

Jeff979
Jan 15, 2009, 11:54 PM
I am very doubtful that HB 0.9.1 will work with anything like Dark Knight. Upgrade to HB 0.9.3 and follow the steps earlier in this thread.

Thanks dude, I shall try and see what it does on 9.3. Is there really that big of a difference between the versions though?

dynaflash
Jan 16, 2009, 12:12 AM
Thanks dude, I shall try and see what it does on 9.3. Is there really that big of a difference between the versions though?
Yup. it won't work on tiger though. > 0.9.1 requires leopard.

Jeff979
Jan 17, 2009, 05:11 AM
Yup. it won't work on tiger though. > 0.9.1 requires leopard.

It worked man! thanks so much! lol I didn't realize there was a huge difference, apparently there is, duh! lol :D

baseballdude345
Jan 20, 2009, 12:09 PM
All you have to do is choose File-> Open Source(Title Specific). Then enter title 1. When this is done, you can edit your settings for ripping. I got it to my iPod Touch. Then just start the rip. Note: It will take a little longer to rip the DVD because it is a 2 and a half hour movie.

DrWho
Feb 17, 2009, 06:30 AM
Has anyone got this to work on tiger version 10.4.11. I used fairmount and that worked but now everytime I put it into Toast it freezes. What is the next step

Cheffy Dave
Feb 17, 2009, 09:29 AM
AnyDVD and Handbrake don't even do the same things. You are comparing apples to oranges. Or wordprocessors to spreadsheets. Or in this case DVD rippers (AnyDVD) to transcoders (Handbrake).

AnyDVD makes a copy of a DVD and removes copy protection. Handbrake takes DVD (VOB) files and transcodes (converts) them into various formats suitable for playing on various devices, such as iPod or AppleTV. Handbrake will utilize an installed copy of VLC to attempt rip (copy) the DVD, but it has no native code to do that itself.

Yeah knew that, wish they had a version of ANY DVD for Mac;)

Cheffy Dave
Feb 17, 2009, 09:31 AM

TB SlySoft

Cheffy Dave
Feb 17, 2009, 09:33 AM
Can I ask if anyone has tried AnyDVD? I know Windows but they seem to be able to rip everything.

Rips anything, NOT available for Mac, d
DK if it works with Fusion:cool:

Cheffy Dave
Feb 17, 2009, 09:38 AM

Not true, If y;)ou bought it, you can copy it, I do and That is the copy I loan out to friends to watch, while my copy stays pristine

foofan
Feb 17, 2009, 07:42 PM
I bought the dark knight and star wars films for $3 each at zml.com

Saves tons of time, period.

northy124
Feb 18, 2009, 05:53 AM
Rips anything, NOT available for Mac, d
DK if it works with Fusion:cool:
It work under fusion.

Sky Blue
Feb 18, 2009, 08:23 AM
Not true

Is true. And how is copying it and loaning it out to friends legal?

Tallest Skil
Feb 18, 2009, 08:25 AM
Not true, If y;)ou bought it, you can copy it, I do and That is the copy I loan out to friends to watch, while my copy stays pristine

That's basically the definition of the illegality associated with copying movies.

If you bought it, you can have a backup of it. It's just too bad that to do so you have to circumvent copyright protection and break the law.

perspectoff
Feb 22, 2009, 06:32 PM
Of course it's legal. Don't be daft. Lending libraries across the country do it. You can loan anything you own.

It's the copying for profit or mass distribution to anonymous strangers that is illegal.

Please don't be mind-fugged by "pseudo-lawyers."

Is true. And how is copying it and loaning it out to friends legal?

Sky Blue
Feb 22, 2009, 06:43 PM
Of course it's legal. Don't be daft. Lending libraries across the country do it. You can loan anything you own.

It's the copying for profit or mass distribution to anonymous strangers that is illegal.

Please don't be mind-fugged by "pseudo-lawyers."

Can you make me a copy of your OS X install disc and loan it to me? I lost mine.

Thanks.

spiderweb
Mar 17, 2009, 05:18 PM

2. Launch Handbrake
4. Select the DVD
5. Hit "Open"

I've just successfully ripped DK region 2 using Ripit, mac version downloaded from MacUpdate.
I ripped the disc in ripit which took about 45 mins and then used HB to reformat to MP4, this has worked fine and seems to over ride the bad sectors placed by WB. I hope this helps

bemt17
Mar 17, 2009, 07:52 PM

Yes I have and I used MTR 14mUBk'ed I downloaded a torrent and opened it with lime downloaded it installed and it worked also it is for mac.

bemt17
Mar 17, 2009, 08:34 PM
Ok here is the link that will download that latest version of MTR the one I used to rip dark night. Also make sure to read the read me part first there is one step you have drag a file into your library before it will work so just read the read me and in 2 minutes you'll be ready to go this is the link http://rapidshare.com/files/210524790/MacTheRipper_3.0r14m.dmg.zip.html after you click on the link you will go to the rapidshare site then click free user and in 30 seconds the download will start and its a small file 2.4MB

GSX
Jan 31, 2010, 04:28 PM
Sorry to resurrect this old thread.

I know I am a little late to the game, but I am having trouble ripping a copy of The Dark Knight.

I want a full DVD rip with full functional menus, subs, etc.

I know Mac the Ripper won't work.

I have tried using Fairmount. I was able to open the DVD and see the video_TS files. I dragged them to the desktop(about 7gigs worth). After 3 hours of transferring I got the files. I then transferred the folder to my movie folder. I then tried to watch it in Front Row and Plex. The movie menus seem to work, but once I start the movie Front Row just freezes up and Plex quits the movie back to the video select screen. If I try to watch the individual vob files with VLC I can't get anything to happen.

Obviously something wrong. Am I doing something wrong? What have other people done? This is one annoying DVD. :mad: