Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powpow

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2004
Hi there. I'm new to Mac gaming and I would like to play games on an upcoming road trip. How feasible is it to play games (via BootCamp on new alu. MacBook 2.4ghz) without a mouse? I'm thinking Fallout 3 or Jade Empire. Thanks.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You need a two button mouse or maybe a small trackball. I'd avoid Apple's mouse. I'm not saying it's impossible to play, I just don't think it will be satisfactory trying to use the track pad.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Hi there. I'm new to Mac gaming and I would like to play games on an upcoming road trip. How feasible is it to play games (via BootCamp on new alu. MacBook 2.4ghz) without a mouse? I'm thinking Fallout 3 or Jade Empire. Thanks.

You need a two button mouse or maybe a small trackball. I'd avoid Apple's mouse. I'm not saying it's impossible to play, I just don't think it will be satisfactory trying to use the track pad.

This is the same regardless of laptop brand, Apple, Dell, etc. Gaming on a laptop without a mouse is rather difficult. However, the lack of the buttons on the new AMB does pose an even more difficult issue. Regardless, I'd say get a small BT mouse or even a small corded mouse and a laptop lap table (you can find them at staples pretty cheap) and use that while in the car.

ChrisN

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2007
Demarest, NJ
I believe there is a kensington mouse where the trackball can be used as a mouse, so if you are tight on space you can use that.

ChrisN

gman901

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
You could always use the xbox 360 wireless game pad. It works great with the Mac with Bootcamp. I use to use the gamepad, but I now prefer my MS Bluetooth mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.